Stars On Ice -Boston | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice -Boston

I personally think all the skaters have a love for figure skating. They are as human as the rest of us.

I agree 100%. Sasha's job in SOI is to go out there and deliver spellbinding performances that have the audience riveted to their seats. This is exactky what she does.

Not everyone needs to jump around grinning and giving everybody high fives all the time. Different strokes for different folkes. :yes:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Precisely. And who knows why Sasha isn't extroverted towards the crowd. Awesomeice just ASSUMES it's because Sasha doesn't care about the fans, because he hates her. Maybe it's just Sasha's personality or introvertedness, ever think of that?

And it's hard for me to believe that Sasha doesn't want to be there. Her family has enough money, I can't see her doing it for money if she didn't like it. She's put whatever is left of her Olympic dreams on hold to be in SoI for the 2nd season in a row. Why would she have signed a contract for the 2nd season if she didn't like it and didn't really need the money?

As far as skaters climbing into people's laps -- what, is that a requirement now? Some people would be comfortable doing something that crazy, and some wouldn't. So the ones that wouldn't "don't care about fans"? Give me a break! And it's also not a valid comparison. Let's just say I can't imagine there are a ton of crazed Jennifer Robinson fans out there. Maybe Jennifer (33) likes attention and isn't concerned about some of the weirder fans. Maybe Sasha (24) doesn't want to get that close to fans and is afraid of weirder fans or being stalked. I think that's a very valid thing to be concerned about. And I wouldn't be surprised if Sasha had stalkers at some point...
Yeah, Sasha's so scared of stalkers that she can't smile and acknowledge the crowd once in a while... Sheesh, no one is saying that she has to sit on anyones lap, or even TOUCH the audience. If she could maybe look someone in the eye once in a while, though, that would be nice. Heck, if she's just get rid of that blank, deer in headlights look I'm be happy.

She is totally a one-trick pony. She did her "grab the foot and pull it over my head" spiral (with all the speed of molasses in January) four times in one show. There was nothing eye-catching or unique about her performance, and her complete lack of personality didn't help.

Let's just say I can't imagine there are a ton of crazed Jennifer Robinson fans out there.

I don't know about crazed, but Jennifer Robinson has a ton of fans in Canada (six time national champion :rock:) and IMHO she is really coming into her own in Stars on Ice. Plus, she is a super person, very much involved in community service work.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The only rude person I have seen is David Pelltier (sp?) When I went to the SOI show, some of the fans were by the busses waiting and he came over and said the other skaters made him do it. He signed a few autographs, took a few pictures and then said I got to go. He got very upset when someone asked him for just one more pic but he posed; the flash didn't go off and the girl asked to try again. He actually said....hurry up.

I had a similar experience at another show I went to (not skating-related). This was an aftershow autograph session with this person (who will not be named) and when I got there, he was like, "hurry up".

It wasn't a big deal, but in the end, it does prevent you from seeing the person favorably.

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Precisely. And who knows why Sasha isn't extroverted towards the crowd. Awesomeice just ASSUMES it's because Sasha doesn't care about the fans, because he hates her. Maybe it's just Sasha's personality or introvertedness, ever think of that?

And it's hard for me to believe that Sasha doesn't want to be there. Her family has enough money, I can't see her doing it for money if she didn't like it. She's put whatever is left of her Olympic dreams on hold to be in SoI for the 2nd season in a row. Why would she have signed a contract for the 2nd season if she didn't like it and didn't really need the money?

As far as skaters climbing into people's laps -- what, is that a requirement now? Some people would be comfortable doing something that crazy, and some wouldn't. So the ones that wouldn't "don't care about fans"? Give me a break! And it's also not a valid comparison. Let's just say I can't imagine there are a ton of crazed Jennifer Robinson fans out there. Maybe Jennifer (33) likes attention and isn't concerned about some of the weirder fans. Maybe Sasha (24) doesn't want to get that close to fans and is afraid of weirder fans or being stalked. I think that's a very valid thing to be concerned about. And I wouldn't be surprised if Sasha had stalkers at some point...

No one is saying that Sasha has to sit on anyones lap, or even touch anyone. I wouldn't expect any of the skaters to do that. If they want to, fine, but its not a requirement. But it wouldn't hurt her to actually look at someone once in a while, or maybe try to smile. And I really don't buy the "introvert" excuse, as she's obviously an attention-seeker. I think she's just mad that her acting career tanked and she had to return to skating to get anyone to notice her.

Oh, and her snooty "better than everyone else in this room" attitude at meet-and-greets doesn't help her image, either. She acts like a spoiled little brat and makes fun of the people who dare to line up for an autograph. I never bother with those kind of things but I know someone else who was all excited about getting autographs, and she said that Sasha was a total snot to people. And my friend isn't the only one who noticed, based on reports I've seen at other forums. Doesn't paint the picture of someone who is doing SOI because they want to, sounds like someone who just wants the paycheck, and where else would the little princess get a salary like she gets from SOI? SHe's not really qualified for any real job.

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I agree 100%. Sasha's job in SOI is to go out there and deliver spellbinding performances that have the audience riveted to their seats. This is exactly what she does.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Well- to be quite honest, what else is she gonna do? The acting isn't working out as planned (big, big surprise to the fans, eh?), yet she doesn't seem to want to commit to an all-out Olympic training schedule. Best to stick to what you do best. I think she made the right decision to stay with SOI, since a lot of folks seem to like her.

It's a long tour and the skaters seem to get tired. However, part of the job is to suck it up, put on a happy face and entertain the fans who have paid to see you. That's show business for you. But I think Cohen just needs to pick pieces (like Moonlight Sonata) that require that kind of introverted skating to pull them off. If you don't, it doesn't give off the right impression IMO. The thing about SOI is that the attention is evenly distributed among the skaters (save the guests).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, Sasha's so scared of stalkers that she can't smile and acknowledge the crowd once in a while... Sheesh, no one is saying that she has to sit on anyones lap, or even TOUCH the audience. If she could maybe look someone in the eye once in a while, though, that would be nice. Heck, if she's just get rid of that blank, deer in headlights look I'm be happy.

It would be nice, yes. As for actually interacting with the audience, well, some people are comfortable with that, others aren't. I can't fault the latter group for not doing so, especially since there were plenty of skaters who DID interact with the audience (keeps things fun).

I guess my only thing would have been to have at least one female skater as well in the crowd (I think it was the male skaters who went into the crowd)- but then again, I suppose this is a show mostly for the gals, no? I guess Cohen in that two-piece outfit might have been the only temptation for us guys thrown in...but I'm thinking of another skater here (won't be named!!!!!)

[Cohen] is totally a one-trick pony. She did her "grab the foot and pull it over my head" spiral (with all the speed of molasses in January) four times in one show. There was nothing eye-catching or unique about her performance, and her complete lack of personality didn't help.

I have my opinion about her skating in particular, and I tend to agree with you more or less (although I must say I was pleasantly surprised by MS in DC and Philly). However, I go to SOI to enjoy the show as a WHOLE, not to enjoy any particular skater, or to tear apart any particular skater. In other words, I don't go to the show looking for things to hate. I just sit back and enjoy the performance. Then, the next morning, I can pick things apart.

tarotx

On the Ice
AwesomeIce please spare me. Sasha has never been anything but what she is now. You can hate her but to say it's becasue her acting career tanked is just plain wrong.

Imo Sasha is the type of person who can't shut her mind down. She's always thinking. I think that is the reason a lot of people find her cold. I personally could watch her skate all day and she has always been truely nice the few times I've met her.

I guess my only thing would have been to have at least one female skater as well in the crowd (I think it was the male skaters who went into the crowd)- but then again, I suppose this is a show mostly for the gals, no? I guess Cohen in that two-piece outfit might have been the only temptation for us guys thrown in...but I'm thinking of another skater here (won't be named!!!!!)

That's what was so great about COI. They had Irina Gigorian (the hula hoop girl) to liven things up.

http://www.pbase.com/nikonsean/image/27961981

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's what was so great about COI. They had Irina Gigorian (the hula hoop girl) to liven things up.

http://www.pbase.com/nikonsean/image/27961981

Too bad I could never make it to a COI show.

Imo Sasha is the type of person who can't shut her mind down. She's always thinking. I think that is the reason a lot of people find her cold. I personally could watch her skate all day and she has always been truely nice the few times I've met her.

It's not just your opinion; she admitted that herself in some recent interview.
Oh yeah, here is the quote (from sf):

DW: What is one thing about Sasha Cohen that people don't know?
SC: I'm always thinking. I'm constantly exploring.

http://www.cleveland.com/dman/index.ssf/2009/03/qanda_with_sasha_cohen.html

Yes, when you think like that you automatically tune out what's happening around you. I know because I'm guilty of this myself at times. It totally makes sense now. And yes, I think that's the main reason I get a cold vibe from her, whether it's on TV or being a few feet away from her. But the one time I did encounter her, she seemed rather kind, if not a little distant/shy.

Last edited:

castmembersonly

Rinkside
Well here we are picking Sasha's bones because she hasn't given enough of herself to justify our cost of a ticket. She hasn't made eye contact. She didnt smile enough. She didn't sell herself. What do you want from artist? I hope she retires to the country so she can get a break from all the crap that goes with performing for a lot of idiots who think that the recognition of quality must accompany a grin and a slimey handshake. Sounds like a used car salesman to me. Whatever..... Sasha is special. Deal with it whoever you are. It's a fact.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Whatever..... Sasha is special. Deal with it whoever you are. It's a fact.

NO IT'S NOT!! I was fine with your post up to this point.

Saying she's special is OPINION (that can be debated- obviously not everyone thinks so). If, on the other hand you said she was the 2006 Olympic silver medalist, THAT would be a fact (that she has it can't be disputed). See the difference ?

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Uhh, actually it IS a fact that Sasha is special.

- Lots of international silver/gold medals
- Moves and flexibility very few or none can match
- Precision of movement and grace few can match

"I don't like Sasha Cohen" is an opinion.
"Sasha Cohen is not special" is just laughable.

"I don't like Sasha Cohen" is an opinion.
"Sasha Cohen is not special" is just laughable.

I would have thought it was the other way around. "I don't like Sasha" is a fact, if, in fact, I don't.

The criteria for what constitues "special," on the other hand, I think is up for grabs.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
The criteria for what constitues "special," on the other hand, I think is up for grabs.

You're right. I should have instead said that Sasha-haters are "special." :rofl:

But in seriousness, if you really want to be THIS anal about it:

SPECIAL -

1: distinguished by some unusual quality; being in some way superior
2: held in particular esteem
3 a: readily distinguishable from others of the same category : unique
4: being other than the usual : additional, extra

Sasha is all of those. It's a logical fact. Maybe you have the "opinion" that opinions can logically contradict facts. I don't share that particular opinion. If someone's "opinion" is that the Earth is flat, they're wrong. And if you want to degenerate completely into the realm of sophistry, I could make a philosophical argument that we can't really "know" anything as "fact." I could sit here and argue that it's a valid opinion that the earth is flat, because there is no such thing as fact or 100% proof that any of us even exist. Which of course is a useless waste of time, just like it's a useless waste of time to put forth the WRONG opinion (yes, wrong opinion) that Sasha isn't special. Opinions are wrong when they contradict fact, and I've already stated the facts.

Any questions?

P.S.: The only "out" the person has is to say:

"Sasha isn't special TO ME"

Maybe that's what you are assuming, but that's not what was said.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I always found Sasha to be reserved in her performances. I liken her skating as having a snowglobe effect. You are drawn to it, enjoy it, but there is not a great deal of connection. For me, I don't think of that as a negative, just how I view her skating. Then there are other skaters, like Michelle for example, who reach outwards in their skating and bring the audience into their world. Like Dick once said-Michelle has the ability to "...make you love her, make you feel she loves you. That is a great quality to have." Just a different style and it's a matter of personal preference which you prefer. I find both styles desirable and think both are suited for tour skating. It brings about balance and eliminates the same theme between skaters. I think Sasha stays true to her self by skating that way.

I'm more introverted. I ride horses for a living. I prefer when the clients don't come and want to hang out, chat, and I can ride their horses in my own world. I wish I was like those who can talk it up and engage in any sort of conversations with their clients-go out to lunch and schmooze. But that is not me. However, when they come to watch me ride their horses, or I go to shows, I love it, I love presenting the horse I'm showing to the best of their/my abilities, and I have fun doing my job. It's still a job and their are days it's not all fun and games, and I grind it out when I rather stay in bed, but there is nothing else I'd rather do. It's what I'm good at. I feel Sasha is the same way.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I would have thought it was the other way around. "I don't like Sasha" is a fact, if, in fact, I don't.

Yes. In a case like this, very likely.

Yes. My rule is, if it can be debated, it's NOT a fact (except in the topic of scientific discoveries, which is another can of worms and we won't go there).

You can't debate as to whether or not she has the Torino silver, for example. Therefore it's a fact. (As to whether she deserved it or not, that's another point, which can be open to opinion- given that skating is a judged event. But that's not relevant in this case)

However, you can definitely debate as to whether or not she's special. Many people see "special" qualities in her (skating) and that's fine. Others don't see what the big deal is, and that's fine too. Therefore that's NOT a fact.

Last edited: