What do our American skaters need to do? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What do our American skaters need to do?

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
All that being said, I do think we have people who can be on the top of the podium but some things will have to be changed. I wish them the best of luck and am excited to see what everyone comes up with during the new season :):rock::clap::love:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think picking the right music and choreographer for your programs is just so important, especially in the Olympic year. Skaters need programs that inspire them and are really tailored to them and their strengths. A great program can give you that little extra something to help get you on the podium.

I felt like most of the American singles skaters this year skated rather boring, cookie-cutter programs that really didn't make a statement. The main exceptions would be Jeremy Abbott and Evan Lysacek. They both had interesting programs that caught your attention--and helped lead to success.

Just think back to some of the great Olympic programs of years past, and recall how memorable they were and how strongly associated they are with those skaters and those Olympics: Katarina Witt's Carmen and Where Have All the Flowers Gone?, Michelle Kwan's Rachmaninoff and Lyra Angelica, Yagudin's Winter, Gordeeva & Grinkov's Moonlight Sonata, Torvill & Dean's Bolero, and so many others.

Those are the kinds of programs our skaters should be aiming for. Of course they may not achieve that level of success--but why not reach for the stars? :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
It always floors me when people skate these programs and are shocked that they only got 50pts for a clean program when the top people are earning 60s/70s/80s. Did you honestly not know how many points your program would garner?? And for some reason if it doesnt score as high as you want when you 1st test it out, FIX IT. Dont skate the exact same way at the next competition, and be shocked that you still didnt win. But thats just me, when I do something competition wise I want to win not just be middle of the pack :p

That's too simplistic - the PCS are subjective and you simply don't know how the PCS are going to be judged by a particuarl judging panel. Dennis Ten should not have been so badly undermarked in the SP . In this judged sport and slippery ice anything can and often does happen.

Ant

mskater93

Record Breaker
It always floors me when people skate these programs and are shocked that they only got 50pts for a clean program when the top people are earning 60s/70s/80s. Did you honestly not know how many points your program would garner?? And for some reason if it doesnt score as high as you want when you 1st test it out, FIX IT. Dont skate the exact same way at the next competition, and be shocked that you still didnt win. But thats just me, when I do something competition wise I want to win not just be middle of the pack :p

I think perhaps you can use that for the TES - trying to match up on levels and jump base marks- but PCS is STILL reputation driven, even with "objective" criteria for marking the PCS score. I made almost this EXACT comment to my husband when the ladies' event finished at Worlds - basically that Rachel Flatt's PCS mark will jump higher next season because she finished in the top 5 overall. He shook his head and made a comment to the effect of "I can't believe you participate in a sport where you would say that".

Eurofan

On the Ice
I think perhaps you can use that for the TES - trying to match up on levels and jump base marks- but PCS is STILL reputation driven, even with "objective" criteria for marking the PCS score. I made almost this EXACT comment to my husband when the ladies' event finished at Worlds - basically that Rachel Flatt's PCS mark will jump higher next season because she finished in the top 5 overall. He shook his head and made a comment to the effect of "I can't believe you participate in a sport where you would say that".

I think that's one reason Denis Ten was so far back in the SP - the old "Sorry, kid, you're only 15 and you represent the 'wrong' country."

Dennis was very much appreciated by the audience in LA.

While I can not prove my thoughts, I do believe judges use the +GoEs with care for the top well known skaters during the last 2 groups of skaters.

I like to use the term 'made a statement' when a skater looks as though he/she might be upsetting the apple cart. Rachael and Dennis may be looking better in the eyes of judges next year. They did make a statement.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Ashley like Alissa needs to find some confidence. I think Caroline, Rachael and Nagasu all have a mental edge over Ashley.

I rather think it's Mirai that is mentally the weakest out of the four. She just does not seem to perform well under pressure. She gets tight and two foots her landings too often (her two-foots drive me crazy!). I guess this season she's had the injury/growth spurt, but I'm thinking 2008 Junior Worlds LP...

But I've often heard people say Mirai is the most talented out of the US girls, and I'm not quite what they mean by that. The most natural, innate talent? But then I'd argue that it's not that she has more talent than the others, but rather her talent has been nurtured the best.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mirai definitely has the most talent of the current American ladies. Or at least she used to. Let's see if she can get the jumps back. I hope the growth spurt hasn't hurt her forever.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
She said they should practice harder and skate faster.I suggest they also figure out what Joannie has done and emulate it. She is one who really kicked it up a notch this year - and mostly without a 3/3.

I agree.
From a european point of view, this is what I would like to see frome the American female skaters:

-overall quality
-speed
- clean rotations and clean edges in jumps.
- interesting, difficult and quick moves in the step sequence.
-innovative programs ( I would suggest Muriel Zazoui :) )

That's all. Every since Sasha left I found all the other US girls a bit boring (except some of Wagner's programs), but there are some very good skaters and Rachel Flatt is someone to rely on in terms of consistency :agree: