Michelle's new music | Golden Skate

Michelle's new music

euterpe

Medalist
I am not happy with "Tosca" at all.

I am not happy that Kwan is using overdone music, first of all.

And the music itself does not suit her. It is slow, ponderous and for the most part, SCHMALTZY. Not the fast moving, upbeat type of music that she so excelled with last season.

A major DUH!!!!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I think it is a good choice. She can usually muster such emotion with dramatically charged music. I can't wait to see what she does with "Tosca". As for the music being used too often, well, sure it is, but it is still powerful music that has remained quite popular. It's quality music with a quality skater...I could care less who did it before or how many times. Certainly, there are slow and ponderous sections, but there are also some exciting crescendos that suit her perfectly. I'm psyched! (Although, I would have picked "Turnadot", by far my favorite Puccini).

nymkfan51

Medalist
Tosca

I'm very happy with her music selection. I wanted to see her skate to something a bit more dramatic.
I understand that most people don't want to keep seeing the same music used over and over agian ... and generally I agree. I like the fact that most of Michelle's music choices have been different, but that doesn't mean that once in awhile she can't skate to a classic.
I have no doubt that Michelle will make this music unique for her, once she's had time to work with it.

Bynx

On the Ice
euterpe said:
I am not happy with "Tosca" at all.

I am not happy that Kwan is using overdone music, first of all.

And the music itself does not suit her. It is slow, ponderous and for the most part, SCHMALTZY. Not the fast moving, upbeat type of music that she so excelled with last season.

A major DUH!!!!

FYI,
Kwan didn't pick the music.
It was picked by Morosov.

I wasn't to fond of the choice when I learned of it a couple of weeks ago, but the idea grew on me and from the reports it looks as though it went over well.

euterpe

Medalist
I was there and saw the program. It was dull and ponderous. Ugh! I just hope Michelle can do something with it for Nationals and Worlds, because she didn't do much with it Friday night.

Normally I enjoy her skating no matter what the music, but this one hit me with a dull thud.

Bynx

On the Ice
Sure.

I don't see the big deal!
People are freaking out about it, as I've seen on other boards.
People need to chill, seriously!

It's her debut and she is breaking in new boots for heaven's sake! Not to mention that she and Nikolai are still working, he has many skaters to choreograph for. He did this program in three days and once he and Michelle get the time, they'll smooth it out as the season prograsses!

People act like nationals or worlds are just around
the corner and Michelle is doomed!

BTW,
Michelle skated much better this year coming in second than she did last year coming in first! And by worlds and nationals, Aranjuez was great! Give the girl so time, gosh! Look at the big picture people!

Last edited:
I love everything Michelle. Plus, about great but overused classics, it's not like I go to the opera every other day so that I am tired of hearing this wonderful music.

That having been said, however, Michelle made a name for herself during her collaboration with Lori Nichol for chosing equally wonderful music which no one had ever heard of. How many skating fans were familiar with 20th century British composer William Alwyn, or knew that he wrote a harp concerto (Lyra Angelica); how many people even know where Azerbaijan is on the map, much less anything about the composers and music of that country (Taj Mahal).

So this gave the young Michelle's performances an extra dimension -- what wondrous thing will she show us next?

As Michelle grew up she naturally wanted more input into her music choices. (I am a little bit disappointed to hear that Tosca was Morosov's selection, not Michelle's.) Thus in the last couple of years of Michelle's work with Nichol, especially in the case of the Song of the Black Swan, I felt that Michelle was fighting the music instead of embracing it.

I love every note that Puccini wrote. But there are a thousand other composrs who also wrote great music. Four minutes worth, anyway, LOL. I miss getting a little music lesson, along with the skating, every time Michelle takes the ice.

Mathman

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Morasov may have suggested the music, but Michelle makes the final decision. She could have said NO.

There will never be another Michelle Kwan in figure skating and there will never be another Tosca but Maria Callas. I'm glad, though, she is not trying to mimic the title character - No headaches for MK.

Joe

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Perhaps my memory is defective, but I remember when Kwan was in the "original music" stage, there was a lot of howling about how she always skated to stuff nobody ever heard and how she needed to skate to more "mainstream" music. I especially remember a near-tantrum from many skating fans at the 2001 Grand Prix Final. Since her top competitor at the time was Irina Slutskaya, Kwan was often compared unfavorably with her. Now she's gone more mainstream and even using some music Slutskaya used, yet there is still complaining.

I don't pretend to understand the complaints.

Jimmy - I am probably one of those complainers. In that Grand Prix Final with IS doing her Carmen, MK did Miraculous Mandarin and it was far more interesting than watching IS pretend to be the Spanish prostitute.

I'm never crazy watching ice versions of classics from the stage, but hey, that's me.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Michelle skating to Tosca? A piece that was used last year by Irina? I can't believe after all the outcries about Sasha's skating to Swan Lake, no one seems to be too fazed by Michelles' choice of music.

euterpe

Medalist
Irina used "Tosca" in the 2001-2002 season, not last year. Last year, it was Verdi ("La Traviata").

I just hope we won't see any hair- or face-grabbing from Kwan.

flutzilla

Rinkside
Wait and see....

...I am taking a 'wait and see' attitude on this music. Irina did such a great job with this music less than 2 years ago that it is quite puzzling that the decision was made for her to use it. When I first heard the rumor about Michelle using an opera piece that men and dance teams had used recently, I was hoping it might be Carmina Burana (anyone remember Paul Wylie's terrific Carmina program?) That would have been incredible!

Lad - Nobody knew what Michelle was skating to before Campbell's. Now that they know, there is much ado about her using Tosca. I for one do not like the opera tunes in skating unless they are in pairs, but that's just me.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I don't think Irina did such a fabulous job with "Tosca". There was the fiasco in the final GPF FS, followed by a less than awe-inspiring FS at the Olympics. She finally delivered a finished product at '02 Worlds, but the program was hit-or-miss otherwise.

I always thought her "Don Quixote" program was her career best.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I agree with flutzilla....

I am also going to 'wait and see'. There was also someone else who said 'it's only September - wait until January'.

I was a bit surprised when I found out what she would be skating to 'Tosca'. But I don't remember anyone saying anything when she chose 'The Feeling Begins' for her SP last year after both Oksanas (Baiul and Grishuk) have used it (albeit 6-7 years ago). Also remember that Navka/Kostomarov used the same piece for their free dance last season.

Lastly, there is even the possibility that Michelle won't even be at Nationals. Hopefully, it's just a really remote chance. Maybe losing to Sasha will put a fire under her these next few months....

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

One thing for sure, Michelle never does what you expect. Just when you think you've got her figured out, off she goes in a new direction.:love:

Mathman

Mathman - Let's hope the mysterious one does skate Nats and Worlds. She can fall flat on her face and I'd still be a fan.

Joe