Thread: Is Yu-Na more similar to Katarina rather than Michelle?

Hybrid View

Is Yu-Na more similar to Katarina rather than Michelle?

There have been many people who compare Yu-Na skating style to Katarina Witt, but for me her style is more reminiscent of Michelle's.

What do you think?

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Neither.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    IMO, She has more of a Michelle Kwan style than Katarina to me

Custom Title
    Will Yu-Na do Playboy?

Very odd comparisons. Each lady is an individual.

Custom Title

Is Yu-Na more similar to Katarina rather than Michelle?

Yu-Na is not similar to either Katarina nor Michelle. She is unique and has a quality and style that neither of the other two ladies possess.

Dizzy

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Will Yu-Na do Playboy?
    LOL!

Custom Title
    She does have little bit of MK-like qualities and little bit of KW-like qualities. But if I have to compare her to someone right now, it would be Kristi Yamaguchi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Will Yu-Na do Playboy?
    No way, Never!

Custom Title
    In a recent interview with a Korean news paper, Orser said that his favorite lady skater was Katarina. Maybe, he has a dream to make YuNa Katarina-like (style or status).

Eien.
    i think every skater is different from one another.

Rinkside
    Yuna's LP was really like Kwan, but i think she is really different from Witt.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
    Yuna's LP was really like Kwan, but i think she is really different from Witt.
    It was pretty much an unofficial homage to her idol. She even told the media she purposely made the final pose the same as Michelle's.

Last year I used to think Yuna was somewhat like Michelle and that Mao was reminiscent of Irina. It has been a while since I have watched much of Katerina so she wasn't one I was thinking about.
    Like Michelle, Yuna seems a little more musical and expressive to me and like Irina, Mao seems to be more focused on her jumps and executing her elements without as much expression.
    But I have changed my opinion (I do that alot . As others have said the great skaters are pretty individualistic. I would have a hard time saying who is like Sasha - maybe Caroline because of her flexibility? But they are really not very similar imo. Caroline is still so young and who knows which direction her skating will follow as it developes.
    What about Oksana? Who is like her today? And what about Shizuka? She seems totally different than the other Japanese skaters and maybe she is more like Katerina than Yuna. But that is also probably not true either.
    By the end of her great career Irina had become much more expressive. Mao is not really skating like anybody but Mao and I imagine she will make her competitve programs more expressive and dramatic, especially if she stays with Tat. Yuna is skating under a different scoring system than Michelle did for most of her career and that also effects the way a skater presents themselves. In general, Yuna's choreos seem much busier than Michelle's. She is doing more but is it necessarily better or even so similar? Sure the jumps are much bigger but what about the other aspects of Yuna's skating? For me Yuna is Yuna just as Miki is Miki and so forth. But I will probably change my mind about some of these thoughst as next season unfolds.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-09-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    i think every skater is different from one another.
    I agree, but this seems to be a normal discussion. I'm fairly sure (but can't verify) that Kwan drew comparisons to earlier skaters until she developed a style of her own. Same with Witt, etc. Until Yu Na develops a distinct style (if she does) then I expect these comparison threads to continue.