Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 115

Thread: Is Yu-Na more similar to Katarina rather than Michelle?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Will Yu-Na do Playboy?
    No way, Never!

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    423
    In a recent interview with a Korean news paper, Orser said that his favorite lady skater was Katarina. Maybe, he has a dream to make YuNa Katarina-like (style or status).

  3. #18
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    In a recent interview with a Korean news paper, Orser said that his favorite lady skater was Katarina. Maybe, he has a dream to make YuNa Katarina-like (style or status).
    Well that is not surprising when you consider Brian and Kat were both at '84 and '88 Olympics and many WC's together.
    I still have a hunch Yuna may be doing Carmen for her LP this season. But I have no information on that - just a hunch.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Neither. Katarina had personality and sex appeal and Yu Na is just plain boring and sexless (at least to me.) I don't see any Michelle in her either because Yu Na has some really sloppy movements on the ice (esp in her spiral) and while Michelle was not a very exciting skater (IMO), Michelle was always neat and polished in her presentation.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Well that is not surprising when you consider Brian and Kat were both at '84 and '88 Olympics and many WC's together.
    I still have a hunch Yuna may be doing Carmen for her LP this season. But I have no information on that - just a hunch.
    You make me really nervous. Are you sure you have no secret source? God I hope Yuna picked anything but Carmen.

  6. #21
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Neither. Katarina had personality and sex appeal and Yu Na is just plain boring and sexless (at least to me.) I don't see any Michelle in her either because Yu Na has some really sloppy movements on the ice (esp in her spiral) and while Michelle was not a very exciting skater (IMO), Michelle was always neat and polished in her presentation.
    Interesting comments - but better prepare yourself for some major "bot" attacks I think Yuna is a pretty girl and will be an even lovelier young woman.
    I always felt something undefinable and special when I watched Michelle skate. I felt it when she was 14 and I will always feel it.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    She does have little bit of MK-like qualities and little bit of KW-like qualities.
    I know what you mean. During her amateur career Witt showed a variety of characters like Carmen, Maria(West Side Story), a Broadway showgirl and a Hungarian folk dancer, etc. But Michelle tended to show charismatic but elegant herself other than the music characters. I think both of their expression approaches were equally beautiful and also effective to get audiences' attentions.

    Maybe Yu-na has a kind of a Witt-like approach in that she tends to show her backgound music's characters although you could also find her unique personality in every program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    But if I have to compare her to someone right now, it would be Kristi Yamaguchi .
    Also agree with you. Yu-na has little bit of Yamaguchi-like qualities in that both of them are willow-looking skaters.

  8. #23
    Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I still have a hunch Yuna may be doing Carmen for her LP this season. But I have no information on that - just a hunch.
    You're not the only one. Ever since this season ended I've had this gut feeling that Yuna might revisit Carmen.

  9. #24
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    You make me really nervous. Are you sure you have no secret source? God I hope Yuna picked anything but Carmen.
    Sorry to make you nervous. I have NO info at all and I am probably wrong. It is just a hunch, and nothing more. I have mixed feelings myself. I happen to LOVE the music from Carmen (not necessarily the most famous parts though).
    We will see come October what Yuna, Mao and the other skaters are bringing us next season.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Neither. Katarina had personality and sex appeal and Yu Na is just plain boring and sexless (at least to me.) I don't see any Michelle in her either because Yu Na has some really sloppy movements on the ice (esp in her spiral) and while Michelle was not a very exciting skater (IMO), Michelle was always neat and polished in her presentation.
    What Michelle's surprised me was that she'd never done any sloppy movement on the ice. Absolutely. That's why I love Michelle.

    As for Yu-na, we could wish her a little bit more extension during her spiral, but she has different aspects of strength on her spirals: speed, ice coverage and edge control. (Kurt mentioned about that at 2009 4CC) That's the reason I like her spiral.
    And her spiral extension's got better compared to last seasons.

    Besides, I think Yu-na's expressive upper body delivers a very rare quality movements. I consider one of David Wilson's strategies for Yu-na is how to maximize effects of her expressive upper body movements.
    Last edited by szidon; 06-10-2009 at 04:48 AM.

  11. #26
    Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,516
    I had to at the comparison of Mao to Irina. While Mao has beautiful extension and lines, a balletic quality and a lightness in her movement and stroking, Irina had none of that. Neither are they similar in build - Mao is long-limbed and lanky while Irina is shorter and stubbier. I have no idea how Mao could remind anyone of Irina.
    And I definitely don't agree that Mao is any less musical than Yuna. She might not have the dramatic facial expression but IMO she's one of the most musical skaters, even more so than Yuna, who is more of an actress.
    Last edited by shine; 06-09-2009 at 10:09 PM.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    [QUOTE=janetfan;399572]Interesting comments - but better prepare yourself for some major "bot" attacks I think Yuna is a pretty girl and will be an even lovelier young woman..[/QUTE]

    I can deal with attacks. It seems that some fans have transferred the crazy from Michelle onto Yu Na. Yu Na is a pretty girl but I don't feel her skating warrants the excessive praise that is heaped onto it. When I compare her to Sasha or Michelle, I just don't see that finished quality to her skating. I don't think you can even put the blame on COP as Sasha and Shizuka (!) were outstanding COP skaters and had lovely programs with finished movements. Even Joannie exhibits more polish and puts more thought into her performance than Yu Na.

  13. #28
    On the Ice poloska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I had to at the comparison of Mao to Irina. While Mao has beautiful extension and lines, a balletic quality and a lightness in her movement and stroking, Irina had none of that. Neither are they similar in build - Mao is long-limbed and lanky while Irina is shorter and stubbier. I have no idea how Mao could remind anyone of Irina.
    And I definitely don't agree that Mao is any less musical than Yuna. She might not have the dramatic facial expression but IMO she's one of the most musical skaters, even more so than Yuna, who is more of an actress.
    Agreed. I like Irina, but I don't see any similarities with Mao. Mao has a perfect strech, great positions in spirals,spins. She's like breeze , flying around the rink Irina's strongest point was speed and her powerful skating. Everything is different.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    I can deal with attacks. It seems that some fans have transferred the crazy from Michelle onto Yu Na. Yu Na is a pretty girl but I don't feel her skating warrants the excessive praise that is heaped onto it. When I compare her to Sasha or Michelle, I just don't see that finished quality to her skating. I don't think you can even put the blame on COP as Sasha and Shizuka (!) were outstanding COP skaters and had lovely programs with finished movements. Even Joannie exhibits more polish and puts more thought into her performance than Yu Na.
    I witnessed lots of commentators of NBC, CBC, CBC in French, British Eurosport, Russian Eurosport, RTR, German Eurosport, CC TV, France 3-TV and Teledeporte (TDP) marveled at Yu-na's porformances at 2009 Worlds.
    But i think everybody has a different taste and preference.
    Last edited by szidon; 06-10-2009 at 04:28 AM.

  15. #30
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yu Na is a pretty girl but I don't feel her skating warrants the excessive praise that is heaped onto it. When I compare her to Sasha or Michelle, I just don't see that finished quality to her skating.
    I think I agree on this, Yuna has something in her posture that I dont like, but I dont know what it is. I love her intense moves but in slow pieces I miss something, like she is rushing. She is an exceptional skater of course and probably the best around now. But I like the lightness of Mao and Miki's strech and posture is the best. Yesterday I saw a Caroline video, I loved her , I havent seen much of her.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •