Film Scores you'd like skaters to use | Golden Skate

Film Scores you'd like skaters to use

anya_angie

Final Flight
There are plenty I would love to see used that have never been or rarely used. I'm sure a lot of people have ideas of their own.

Cutthroat Island by John Debney
Atonement by Dario Marianelli (particularly the Dunkirk Elegy)
Troy by Gabriel Yared (might get sued if you use it since it was rejected, but it's better than Horner's version)
The New World by James Horner (unless you have the actual album, you've never heard it)
The Ten Commandments by Elmer Bernstein (magnificent, my personal favorite score of all time)
House of Sand and Fog by James Horner
Van Helsing by Alan Silvestri
Dracula by Phillip Glass (the Kilar version is wonderful, but just check this one out)
Far From Heaven by Elmer Bernstein (I honestly think Lysacek would do well with this one)
Frida by Elliot Goldenthal
Titus by Elliot Goldenthal
Michael Collins by Elliot Goldenthal (what can I say, I love this guy!)
The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman
Road To Perdition by Thomas Newman
The Quiet American by Craig Armstrong (Lysacek would do well with this too)
The Secret of NIMH by Jerry Goldsmith (honestly Shen & Zhao would be wonderful for this one)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by Alexandre Desplat
WALL-E by Thomas Newman (would make a great pairs program perhaps for M&B!)
Defiance by James Newton Howard
Milk by Danny Elfman (particularly Harvey's Last Day)
Spartacus by Alex North (can't believe I've not seen anyone use this, we always see the Khachaturian version, which is nice, but this is amazing)
Edward Scissorhands by Danny Elfman
The Village by James Newton Howard (Gravel Road would be gorgeous for a spiral sequence)
Ghost by Maurice Jarre
Hero by Tan Dun (Gone With Leaves would be particularly nice for a lady)
Dragonheart by Randy Edelman (PERFECT for a lady!)
Lady In The Water y James Newton Howard
Munich by John Williams
Shakespeare In Love by Stephen Warbeck
Gangs of New York by Howard Shore

By the way, I personally recommended the song "Burn It Blue" from Frida to Marie-France!

I think that's all I can think of, now it's your turn!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This is always a fun off-season subject! That's a pretty impressive list... not sure how much I can add to it, but here are some - maybe they've been used before, while I didn't pay attention ;).

Empire of the Sun by John Williams
In the Name of the Father by Trevor Jones (or so says the IMDB) - also, the opening credits song, by Bono and Gavin Friday, has some parts with no lyrics.
Two TV miniseries (do those count?): From the Earth to the Moon (several composers) and Band of Brothers (Michael Kamen).
The Sweet Hereafter by Mychael Danna (if Jeffrey Buttle could skate to Danna's Ararat, I'm sure this one can be used, too).
LA Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Alexandre Desplat
Serenity by David Newman
Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away by Joe Hisaishi.
The Triplets of Belleville by Ben Charest. I'm not sure this one is actually skateable. Maybe if it's an ice dance team :cool:.
Into the Wild (Michael Brook, Kaki King, Eddie Vedder)
The Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum by John Powell.
Lord of the Rings trilogy by Howard Shore
Goodbye Lenin! by Yann Tiersen. Everyone always uses Tiersen's Amelie score, and this one is practically ignored. Canac/Coia were supposed to skate to it this season but by Euros they had something else.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away by Joe Hisaishi.

What about Howl's Moving Castle Theme? :p
Goodbye Lenin is awesome soundtrack, no more amelies on ice!

My super wish David Bowie's Absolute Beginners which lately i found out it was also in a movie!
and Blue States - Season Song from 28 Days Later

Then

Requiem - Oxford Camerata and Yekermo Sew-Milate Astatke from Broken Flowers soundtrack

Mullholland Drive's Main Theme by Angelo Badalamenti

Gotan Project Santa Maria from Shall we Dance (movie is nothing but well..)

Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack (i dont know how it d sound without lyrics)

Raquel - Hable con Ella

I m derranged from Lost Highway

The city of Lost Children- Main theme (but if it is possible someone skate the whole soundtrack:p)

Does musical counts, I d like to see The Jellicle Ball from Cats, although the skater will end up dead from fatigue!

And i wish someone could skate to This is Hardcore by Pulp which was not in a movie but the clip is awesome :p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
What about Howl's Moving Castle Theme? :p
I think Jenni Vahamaa was supposed to skate to that this season, but she was injured. Maybe in 2009-10.

Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack (i dont know how it d sound without lyrics)
Even if it doesn't work, the score from that film must be pretty good to have won an Oscar. I'm sure someone will use it, if not next season then at some point in the future.

And i wish someone could skate to This is Hardcore by Pulp which was not in a movie but the clip is awesome :p
Ooh, Pulp! Someone should skate to Disco 2000, that would be funny. Pulp's Like a Friend actually was on a soundtrack - that of the 1998 version of Great Expectations. Which also had a nice musical scores -someone should try it.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I wish they could skate to anything by pulp, also Mile End was at trainspotting movie but it is fast, it is one of my fav bands, i like them even more than plushy!:laugh:
Also Air 's highschool lover or playground love from Virgin Suicide!

pista04

On the Ice
I have a long list, but the major ones are the Island and Gattaca. I will certainly come back and add more. I'd love to see Howl's Moving Castle. I must admit, routines to scores are always my favorite...Belbin/Agosto's Amelie, Delobel/Schoenfelder's the Piano and Castile/Okolski's Requiem for a Dream are easily among my top 5 routines of all disciplines. =D

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
My Sweet and Tender Beast - Evgeni Doga (Waltz of Love and Waltz of Beauty are just as wonderful as the Sentimental Waltz)

Transformers - Steve Jablonsky (The Arrival has good sections for a spiral/ step or two steps)

Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard (Tadarida [sp?], Corynorhinus and Molossus cuts would be great as a free skate)

Hellboy (The first one) - Marco Beltrami (Father's Funeral with Hellboy and Liz are highly recommended)

I second the mention of Lord of the Rings. The bonus track on TTT, Farewell to Lorien, would make a great SP. If you liked Kimmie's Un Ange Passe, Farewell to Lorien has a similar feel to it too.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Spirited Away by Joe Hisaishi.

I just adore that soundtrack, I think it would be awesome for singles or pairs! The soudntracks from Tsubasa Chronicles also have some great pieces for sigure skating as well.

skatingbc

Final Flight
The Triplets of Belleville by Ben Charest. I'm not sure this one is actually skateable. Maybe if it's an ice dance team :cool:.

A juvie dance team I know of skated to this for their free dance! It was well choreographed and worked really well.

Another girl skated to the Atonement soundtrack and that worked well too. I love that music as well as the movie!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Put me down as another vote for some dancers to skate to The Jellicle Ball. They can cheat and use another slower piece from Cats for part of the routine if they can't maintain that level of intensity throughout.

I'd like to see Ieva's Polka (which has been used in anime, I understand.) for the folk dance OD.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Honestly Slumdog Millionaire's score is just mediocre. Rahman has written much better music. But I do think Jai Ho would make an awesome exhibition for a pair.

The Academy does not always choose good music for Best Score. You're talking about the same people who chose The Full Monty over Anastasia, Men In Black, My Best Friend's Wedding, and As Good As It Gets.

My friend David skated to Brokeback Mountain for his first senior free skate. Unfortunately he had to retire after that season due to a hip injury, but I would love to see someone use that.

So strange how many songs are being listed. I guess people got confused. Eh maybe it was my Burn It Blue comment that caught people off-guard...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So many!

The Red Volin
Atonement. I can't wait until someebody tries to use this...with the typewriter sound effects.
King Kong (the James Newton Howard version)
The Pianist
PIrates of the Carribean. I know this has been done, but think it could be done really well by a pair team or dance.

Munich sountrack is hauntingly beautiful...like Schindler's list, only better IMO.

the soundtrack from Emma would be nice...very playful, innocent sounding. I think Mairi Nagasu could skate to it well.

The Sound of Music
i have yet to see a good version of Gone with the Wind, but I don't think that story can be translated on the ice that well.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
I would love to see Flatt skate to music from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. There was some real nice music in that film.

I know its been done, but I Would like to see Wagner skate to music from West Side Story, including using Maria.

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
PIrates of the Carribean. I know this has been done, but think it could be done really well by a pair team or dance.

Done but everyone uses the same flipping cut with the fame Pirates theme. One Day and the Calypso track cut strategically can make a great FS program without featuring the famous musical line.

I wish skaters are more creative with musical cuts of popular scores, like LOTR and POTC.

The Academy does not always choose good music for Best Score. You're talking about the same people who chose The Full Monty over Anastasia, Men In Black, My Best Friend's Wedding, and As Good As It Gets.

It's really the actors and directors themselves who vote. They're also the ones who whine about how it's sooooo predictable. :scratch:

L

LKR722

I didn't get around to actually watching a lot of the pairs until Worlds, but I was delighted hearing Volosozhar and Morozov's LP music from the Pearl Harbor Soundtrack. I love this music, and I think there are a variety of selections from the film's score that skaters could use to create a great program. Now I know this suggestion might be cheesy, but I think the soundtrack from Titanic could potentially be good music for a skater to use. Shizuka used it back in the 2002-2003 season, but besides her I haven't heard of any other skaters using it.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Anything by Michael Nyman or Joe Hisaishi is fine by me :)
There's a song "Dreams of a Journey" from the movie the Piano. It's really pretty...I was going to skate to that...but then I quit...so now I want someone else to skate to it.
Gahh...why did I quit??!!!:scowl:

Last edited: