Film Scores you'd like skaters to use | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Film Scores you'd like skaters to use

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
How about the score from Penelope by Joby Tablot?

It's a bit princess-y but it's also comedic and whimsical.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would love love love for someone to skate to Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I love the movie & I love the music.

I did a couple years ago and it was a great and fun program (not that I am an elite skater by any means, but still). I loved it because I could use my martial arts training for arms and footwork and transitions and it was totally "me". It would have been good Elvis Stojko music. :agree:

If you are a CTHD music fan for a program, I'd also suggest Hero and House of the Flying Daggers (especially a piece called the Echo Game which would make a top notch footwork sequence).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I did a couple years ago and it was a great and fun program (not that I am an elite skater by any means, but still). I loved it because I could use my martial arts training for arms and footwork and transitions and it was totally "me". It would have been good Elvis Stojko music. :agree:

If you are a CTHD music fan for a program, I'd also suggest Hero and House of the Flying Daggers (especially a piece called the Echo Game which would make a top notch footwork sequence).

Absolutely... I love love love all three movies and soundtraks and its always bugged me that Joubert - who's probably the closest thing to Elvis chose to stick w/ the Matrix instead of trying this music out.

I'd also like to see a woman try one of the above three out - its so moody, sensual and powerful. The perfect alternative to The Feeling Begins.

Tigger

Final Flight
A couple of years ago, Shae-Lynn skated a show number to a piece from House of the Flying Daggers. She used flags as props and the entire number was just amazing. Don't know if it's on YouTube though as I don't think it was ever broadcast.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd like to see someone REALLY USE Star Wars to its full potential... we've seen little bits of it thrown into a multi song program... Scott Hamilton used it for several years in with Swan Lake and a host of other intrumentals...

but I think the Theme from Star Wars (also known as Luke's Theme) could work on a really strong, confident and powerful skater or team... they wouldn't even have to go with a Star Wars look to the costume or choreography, IMHO.

And has anyone ever used the Theme from Indiana Jones?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Virgin Queen soundtrack. The music was composed by Martin Phipps and Sung by "The Mediaeval Baebes".

The Tudors soundtrack. Music composed by Trevor Morris and various artists such as Thomas Tallis (the composer from Henry VIII's court).

Tigger

Final Flight
I would also really like someone to skate to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. There's so many different themes covering basically the whole spectrum of emotions there. Has anyone actually skated to it? I guess maybe I just haven't seen it before, but there are just so many possible music cuts to it that I can't believe elite skaters haven't used it yet.

Yes it has been skated to, but not as often as I'd like. ;) Todd Eldridge used music from Fellowship of the Ring for his 2002 Olympic LP. I know for sure that he used a good bit of the music from Moria, but it's been awhile since I've watched it, so can't remember what the other parts he used were.

Personally, I think the best music out of all of the Trilogy is from The Return of the King. From the first time I popped in the Soundtrack three weeks before the movie hit theatres, I have been wanting someone to skate to The White Tree. Otherwise known as The Lighting of the Beacons music. There's this one gigantic cresendo, it's when the camera goes flying over the mountain following the line of the beacons as they're set aflame. It just screams "Put huge throw/triple axel/quad here!!"

Would have been perfect for Shen and Zhao. Sigh...

I'll be back tomorrow w/more choices of what I'd love to see skated from some of my favourite movie music, but for those interested in checking out some of the music from LOTR, and this site in particular, if you go to...

Audible Beauty

He's got free downloadable samples of some of the music, as well as dialogue from all three movies. LOTR isn't the only one he's done this w/. He's also got separate sections for Star Wars, Moulin Rouge and then one for an assortment of different movies.

It's a great site and I've got a fair bit of stuff from the LOTR pages saved and also on my Ipod. Which will come in handy on Thursday as I'm waiting to go into the OR for foot surgery. I'll have Aragorn's Speech from The Black Gate on repeat to try and keep my nerves in check.

Anyway...Before I call it a night, another great piece from the Trilogy that I'd love to see skated to, is from The Fellowship of the Ring. The track is called Flaming Red Hair, but what it really is, is the Party Music from Bilbo's 111th Birthday Gala. In fact, I think it would work for the Folk OD. Even though it's a Fantasy, Tolkien intended LOTR to be an alternate myth of England/Europe and it's history, and this music fits that. It sounds like the type of music that would have been played at a country/rural dance celebration in Medieval/Tudor times.

I think it would also make a great SP for the right person too.

BTW, there are now Extended Editions of all three sound tracks of the Trilogy. There were some problems w/ROTK at the production end of things, so it's not as easy to find, but they're out there. I haven't gotten the ROTK EE soundtrack yet, but I have Fellowship and The Two Towers ones. So much wonderful music there that would make a great program for someone/a team.

Okay...And on that note...I'm falling asleep at the keyboard, so off to collapse in bed. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Personally, I think the best music out of all of the Trilogy is from The Return of the King. From the first time I popped in the Soundtrack three weeks before the movie hit theatres, I have been wanting someone to skate to The White Tree. Otherwise known as The Lighting of the Beacons music. There's this one gigantic cresendo, it's when the camera goes flying over the mountain following the line of the beacons as they're set aflame. It just screams "Put huge throw/triple axel/quad here!!"
Yes! Absolutely. We may disagree on skaters, but I'm with you on the LotR score, esp. RotK. Why are skaters not using it? The music is gorgeous and quite varied, there's so much to choose from... Maybe if the Zhangs did their LP to this they wouldn't seem so mechanical? Evan Lysacek could also use it for an LP, instead of trotting out another piece of music we have heard a million times. It would really suit his style of skating.

Which will come in handy on Thursday as I'm waiting to go into the OR for foot surgery. I'll have Aragorn's Speech from The Black Gate on repeat to try and keep my nerves in check.
I hope the surgery goes well and that Aragorn's speech will be helpful...

Medusa

Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek could also use it for an LP, instead of trotting out another piece of music we have heard a million times. It would really suit his style of skating.
Do we want to bet that he will use Rachmaninov's piano concerto 2 and / or 3 next season? He hasn't done that so far and he can produce a huge flaling orgy to one of the really dramatic parts.

Tigger said:
...the Party Music from Bilbo's 111th Birthday Gala.

:rock: "I don't like half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." :rofl:

Good luck on the surgery, and just remember, "By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you STAND, MEN OF THE WEST!"

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Do we want to bet that he will use Rachmaninov's piano concerto 2 and / or 3 next season? He hasn't done that so far and he can produce a huge flaling
Ha - Wikipedia tells me that Evan already did Rachmaninoff 2 in 2003-4! On the other hand, he still hasn't done Swan Lake or The Nutcracker. :biggrin:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Ha - Wikipedia tells me that Evan already did Rachmaninoff 2 in 2003-4! On the other hand, he still hasn't done Swan Lake or The Nutcracker. :biggrin:
He already did that? Damn. Really, his music choices read about as interesting as Sasha Cohen's. He hasn't done Dark Eyes yet! That's another possiblity.

Bring on Swanlake in a feathery white costume!

Music to skate by: Anything from a Hitchcock movie, but are these young skaters capable of something mature? I think they should skate to less interpretive music where they can move their arms in a balletlike manner.

I'm thinking of Terror on a Ski Hill from that Peck/Bergman film. Forgot the name.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bring on Swanlake in a feathery white costume!

he doesn't look good in white...:p

and I don't think we'll ever have to worry about him wearing feathers... (then again after that ugly Bolero costume...)

Hold your tongues, posters. TT may hear you. She designed his SP and LP.

I found that the Knight's Templar costume grew on me after awhile. But not sure what it has to do with Bolero.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I'd like to see someone REALLY USE Star Wars to its full potential... we've seen little bits of it thrown into a multi song program... Scott Hamilton used it for several years in with Swan Lake and a host of other intrumentals...

but I think the Theme from Star Wars (also known as Luke's Theme) could work on a really strong, confident and powerful skater or team... they wouldn't even have to go with a Star Wars look to the costume or choreography, IMHO.

I don't know what the title is but the theme for Padme and Anakin (particularly their wedding scene) is great!

You know, sometimes I wish skaters would rename the titles of their programs, in addition to picking unique cuts of film scores. IMHO, most skaters would try to retell the story of films but really, we can just rewatch the films without the splats. I'd love to see skaters interpret the music as just music, not just a music for a film, you know?

Not a film but has any skater done anything to ballet theme to La Slyphide or Le Corsaire?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not sure composers would enjoy having their music renamed, though.

Anything John Williams is awesome. I could even see the Theme from Jaws working for a program.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What about music from the movie Babel?
the track "bibo no aozora" is very intersting and there are some other excellent, unique piece from that album. Good for an ice dance team.