Film Scores you'd like skaters to use | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Film Scores you'd like skaters to use

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Why do skaters reuse the same old boring pieces of music?

Sometimes, choreographers assign skaters music. Lori Nichol is VERY insistent on skaters using her music choice. IMHO, I feel like she choreographs better programs to music that she choosed. Case in point, Joannie's Aranjuez to Kimmie's concierto mix this season.

Other times, skaters have limited musical knowledge and I'm thinking of Evan, who stated that it's difficult to find classical music because he doesn't listen to classical music. I think it's rubbish. Film scores are music and I'm sure he likes watching films.

Or maybe, skaters actually like the boring pieces of music or it meant something special to them. IIRC, I think Sasha did Malaguena to pay tribute to Kristi because she admired her?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes but a lot of people watch films and don't pay attention to the music underneath. They don't appreciate it until it's gone.

Tigger

Final Flight
Just wanted to thank everyone for the good wishes for Thursday morning. Off to Toronto tomorrow morning and the butterflies are starting to rebel...

oxade21

Match Penalty
I would love Yu-Na to skate to Lust, Caution. Especially the one piece that is used when Wei Tang rides night tram on a rainy night. Exquisite work by Desplate.

chloe

Rinkside
Little Miss Sunshine has a great soundtrack and Pan's Labyrinth also.
And anything from Philip Glass would be great!
Or some Gainsbourg's stuff.

russell30

Final Flight
Others that are good:

Birth
English Patient
Talented Mr Ripley
How To Make An American Quilt
Goodbye Lenin
The Hours
Notes on a Scandal
Bad Education - slow pieces
King Kong - slow pieces
Lord of the Rings - that lovely aria from Renee Fleming, so haunting and fantastic

The skaters that have used soundtracks and were awesome on the ice.

Susanna Poykio - Munich from 07 season
Delobel & Shoenfelder - Frida from 05 season
Schwartz & Muller - Broken Arrow from 99 season
Maria Butryskaya - Tale of Wondering from 02 season and Tune of the white nights from SP 02 season
Galina Manaichenko - Schindlers List SP from 02 season
Fleur Maxwell - Finding Neverland from 06 season
Sarah Meier - Patch Adams from 08 Season and Pride and Prejudice from 07 season
Vanessa Gusmeroli - Legends of the Fall from 00 and 01 season

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
The Virgin Queen soundtrack. The music was composed by Martin Phipps and Sung by "The Mediaeval Baebes".

The Tudors soundtrack. Music composed by Trevor Morris and various artists such as Thomas Tallis (the composer from Henry VIII's court).

I forgot about this music... very macho and cool. LOVE IT!

viv

On the Ice
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I always liked the soundtrack of Peter Greenaways "The draughtman's contract" by Michael Nyman.

There is a piece on it titled "Chasing sheep is better left to the sheperd" :)biggrin: - no joke!) which I always thought would be great to skate to. As far as I know it was not done till now, but maybe I missed something.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I enjoy picturing how Fedor Andreev would skate to "The Heart Asks For Pleasure First" from "The Piano" soundtrack with Jeffrey Buttle's choreography :love:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dPS-EHl-FE

I also hope someone in the future considers using the score from the "Rome" HBO series. I think that would be a very interesting choice.

Last edited:

Final Flight
anything by the genius ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
(benjamin button, lust caution, girl with the pearl earring, painted veil etc)

or as a tangent from delobel/schoenfelder's success with michael nyman's the piano - GATTACA?!

p.s. nothing from slumdog millionaire- if people thought D/W were robbed at worlds....desplat was robbed at the oscars...SM OST is...not music

Last edited:

Ituriel

On the Ice
I really love if someone skate...

Master and Commander (The Far side of the world, The Cuckold came out of the amery, La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid)

Gladiator (The Battle theme)

Wall·E (Define Dancing, 72º and Sunny, Down to earth)

Quatum of solace (Another way to die is perfect for Shpillband coreos :rock: )

Transformers (What I've done, please)

Johar

Medalist
anything by the genius ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
(benjamin button, lust caution, girl with the pearl earring, painted veil etc)

or as a tangent from delobel/schoenfelder's success with michael nyman's the piano - GATTACA?!

p.s. nothing from slumdog millionaire- if people thought D/W were robbed at worlds....desplat was robbed at the oscars...SM OST is...not music

Uh oh. I was going to suggest the ending song from Slumdog Millionaire, Jai Ho

http://pinoysphere.com/2009/02/do-the-slumdog-millionaire-dance/

Antilles

Medalist
Across the Stars, from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. It's a beautiful piece of music, but I've only ever heard one tiny snippet of it in a skating program.

Also, Bella's Theme from Twilight is a lovely piece of music.

russell30

Final Flight
I love the music from A Little Princess and Pocahontas but it's probably too hard to skate to music from children's films and still seem mature!

Surya Bonaly used A Little Princess fro her SP in 96 and had good interpretation.