Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Film Scores you'd like skaters to use

I really love if someone skate...

Master and Commander (The Far side of the world, The Cuckold came out of the amery, La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid)

Gladiator (The Battle theme)

Wall·E (Define Dancing, 72º and Sunny, Down to earth)

Quatum of solace (Another way to die is perfect for Shpillband coreos )

Transformers (What I've done, please)

Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    anything by the genius ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    (benjamin button, lust caution, girl with the pearl earring, painted veil etc)

or as a tangent from delobel/schoenfelder's success with michael nyman's the piano - GATTACA?!

p.s. nothing from slumdog millionaire- if people thought D/W were robbed at worlds....desplat was robbed at the oscars...SM OST is...not music
    Uh oh. I was going to suggest the ending song from Slumdog Millionaire, Jai Ho

http://pinoysphere.com/2009/02/do-th...ionaire-dance/

Rinkside
    I love the music from A Little Princess and Pocahontas but it's probably too hard to skate to music from children's films and still seem mature!

The endings of these pieces of music are very beautiful and powerful:
    A Little Princess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx77UN7JoW
    Pocahontas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvKZdLFc8OA

Rogue Leader
    Across the Stars, from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. It's a beautiful piece of music, but I've only ever heard one tiny snippet of it in a skating program.

Also, Bella's Theme from Twilight is a lovely piece of music.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=Ellie;391486]I love the music from A Little Princess and Pocahontas but it's probably too hard to skate to music from children's films and still seem mature!

Surya Bonaly used A Little Princess fro her SP in 96 and had good interpretation.

I always loved Michelle's portrayal on Pocahontas (circa 1996), with several songs from the movie.

I love movie soundtracks, and from all your suggestions, I have a lot to catch up on.

I agree with Tex about The Black Stallion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_6JJUuoKHM

Rinkside
    How about John Ottman's theme for "Usual Suspects" - would sound great skated to IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyreQqjFJiQ

Or this music for an anime film by Joe Hisaishi, which I have uploaded to Youtube myself since there wasn't any version before. Nice tempo changes, but I also think this might be even more suitable for a Ice dance pair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Z8OUeNYdc

I might just as well introduce myself... A guy from Finland who has been a figure skating fan for a number of years but never skated himself other than when playing hockey as a child. Rahkamo / Kokko converted me way back and I have been thrilled by all the development Finnish ladies have made over the years...

Mika
    Last edited by bex1; 04-23-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bex1 View Post
    How about John Ottman's theme for "Usual Suspects" - would sound great skated to IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyreQqjFJiQ
    Yes to The Usual Suspects. I think it would be great for a dance program - a voidy one, if handled correctly! I'm not sure which Hisaishi score you're referring to, you posted the same link twice accidentally.

Welcome to the forum and have fun posting! Now, which film score do you want the Finnish ladies to skate to?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Yes to The Usual Suspects. I think it would be great for a dance program - a voidy one, if handled correctly! I'm not sure which Hisaishi score you're referring to, you posted the same link twice accidentally.
    Thanks for pointing this out, I have now fixed the Hisaishi-link in my previous post.

Welcome to the forum and have fun posting! Now, which film score do you want the Finnish ladies to skate to?
    Thanks! About the music for Finnish ladies... hmmm... I think Lepistö or Pöykiö could do the Hisaishi one above (or maybe even Asada or Ando, to whom it would suit nicely, too IMO). But as for other selections, well, I have one favourite, which has a beautiful melody and "different" instrumentation, and I personally would welcome it to programs of any one of them... it is a theme melody for a Finnish television series from 1970s. Doesn't sound classical at all, but I think it might work:

Lasse Mårtenson: Myrskyluodon Maija:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzwRbxTdA0

Then there is the score for movie "Wilde" by Debbie Wiseman, not having any particular skater in mind. This is the theme melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8pA0u8dZfA

And maybe this from Georges Delerue (Love them from "Platoon"), which I just uploaded because I couldn't find it there either.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBirxBwZX8

By the way, I actually registered here in 2006 but for reasons I can't remember, just didn't post anything before today...

Mika

Not a film score, but I like to see ice dancers using Keane's songs.

Quote Originally Posted by fumie_fumie View Post
    Not a film score, but I like to see ice dancers using Keane's songs.
    Ha-ha, I though that too. I have a brilliant choreography for Spiralling! It's all in my head. If someone is interested, call me.
    (Perhaps we should start the "non-classical music you would like someone to skate to")

Back to the topic

Dune
    Girl with Pearl Earring (I so see a young ladies skater taking on it...)
    the theme from City of Angels
    The Victorious City (Butriskaya (sp?) had a SP to that)

Oh, and yes: from The Matrix...Reloaded: Dread Rock and Monalisa Overdrive (I don't think Joubert has picked those yet )
    Last edited by beep_beep; 04-23-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bex1 View Post
    I have one favourite, which has a beautiful melody and "different" instrumentation, and I personally would welcome it to programs of any one of them... it is a theme melody for a Finnish television series from 1970s. Doesn't sound classical at all, but I think it might work:

Lasse Mårtenson: Myrskyluodon Maija:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzwRbxTdA0
    Oh, I like your Hisaishi link! He is just amazingly talented, it seems like he has been named quite a few times on this thread. I went back and listened to the symphonic version of Princess Mononoke and I really want Brian Joubert to use cuts from that for an LP next season. It's not Matrixy at all so it would be an interesting choice for him, but it's close enough to his comfort zone that he wouldn't have too hard a time relating to it. Plus, it's gorgeous, and even has a built-in step sequence around 2:40.

It will never happen, of course, because neither Brian nor Tarasova will likely have heard of it, and Brian would never skate to anything with "princess" in the title. Princesses don't do quads! Maybe if someone sold him on it with the Japanese title?

I would also assign Spirited Away to Rachael Flatt. I think she could put together a lovely program to parts of it. Rachael, you know you don’t want to skate to baby ballerina pretty tinkly stuff.

I enjoyed Myrskyluodon Maija – thanks for the link, I'd never have heard of it otherwise. What was the show about? Of all the Finns, I feel it would suit Pöykiö best. The music from Platoon is also good, esp. for a pair program.

Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    from The Matrix...Reloaded: Dread Rock and Monalisa Overdrive (I don't think Joubert has picked those yet )
    (see above )
    Last edited by Buttercup; 04-24-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Rinkside
    Oh, I like your Hisaishi link! He is just amazingly talented, it seems like he has been named quite a few times on this thread. I went back and listened to the symphonic version of Princess Mononoke and I really want Brian Joubert to use cuts from that for an LP next season. It's not Matrixy at all so it would be an interesting choice for him, but it's close enough to his comfort zone that he wouldn't have too hard a time relating to it. Plus, it's gorgeous, and even has a built-in step sequence around 2:40.
    Thanks for the link, and one thing I always keep worrying about when imagining pieces of soundtracks to be used in figure skating, is exactly that: where does the step sequence fit in? And you're right about the Mononoke there. That part CALLS for it! Same for the Karl Jenkins' Imagined Oceans that Lepistö used this season. You knew exactly where the step sequence would be once you heard the track... Infact, that symphonic suite reminded me of Kitaro's theme from movie "Heaven and Earth", but that of course has been well used before.

It will never happen, of course, because neither Brian nor Tarasova will likely have heard of it, and Brian would never skate to anything with "princess" in the title.
    That's true...

I enjoyed Myrskyluodon Maija – thanks for the link, I'd never have heard of it otherwise. What was the show about?
    It was a family series about the people living on the coast, don't know much about the content myself. The title translates to "Maija from the Storm islet" or something like that (Maija being woman's name there).

Have to do some catching with all the previous messages in this thread, lots of promising suggestions there to check out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    anything by the genius ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    (benjamin button, lust caution, girl with the pearl earring, painted veil etc)

or as a tangent from delobel/schoenfelder's success with michael nyman's the piano - GATTACA?!

p.s. nothing from slumdog millionaire- if people thought D/W were robbed at worlds....desplat was robbed at the oscars...SM OST is...not music
    Very French of you to think Desplat deserved an oscar for that movie, the music was nothing special, in my opinion some British tele program got better music.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast