Interesting Video on Jookt: Profiling a US Skater (Gilles Family) | Golden Skate

Interesting Video on Jookt: Profiling a US Skater (Gilles Family)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I found this one interesting...stumbled on this while searching some stuff elsewhere. Apparently the Gilles family has a bunch of skaters competing, including a couple in dance and one singles skater, who is the center of the piece. She harbors dreams of making the Olympic team, and is aiming for top 5 at next year's US Nationals (hopefully a medal, she says).

http://www.jookt.com/media/1027-jookt-ap-alexe-gilles

P.S. Anyone know how to save this video? I'd love to add it to my archive...

shine

Record Breaker
Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Red Dog. Alexe is definitely a very, very talented skater. Her LP is one of my favourites from this year. She has impeccable technique on the jumps (has one of the best double axels and 3lutzes), beautiful flow, and wonderful musicality.I also like that she skates like herself. I enjoy her a lot more than Becky Bereswill. If she can skate up to her potential, I don't think the US National podium will be too far fetched for her!

MissCleo

On the Ice
I love her SP to the girl with the flaxen hair. A few months after I first saw that SP, the local radio station played a recording of it. the announcer said afterwards that the girl (the one with the flaxen hair) must have been beautiful. I instantly thought of Alexe :)

She certainly have lofty goals (making the senior GPF next year). Good luck to her, I hope that she does well.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I found this one interesting...stumbled on this while searching some stuff elsewhere. Apparently the Gilles family has a bunch of skaters competing, including a couple in dance and one singles skater, who is the center of the piece. She harbors dreams of making the Olympic team, and is aiming for top 5 at next year's US Nationals (hopefully a medal, she says).
This was filmed before 2009 Nationals as a preview piece (Alexe placed 8th in the FS and 9th overall in her senior national debut in Cleveland). Alexe's twin sister is Piper Gilles (she and Zachary Donohue won the Junior Dance bronze medal at '09 Nationals) and her older brother, Todd, placed 6th in Senior Dance with Jane Summersett. Busy family!!!

Alexe actually qualifies for one Senior Grand Prix event in 2009-10 because she won the bronze at the JGP Final in December 2008. Having turned 17 in January, she also has the option of returning to the JGP next season -- don't yet know which international level she will choose.

I thought this video was very well done and wish more features like this could be done for some of the "lesser-known" skaters.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
This was filmed before 2009 Nationals as a preview piece (Alexe placed 8th in the FS and 9th overall in her senior national debut in Cleveland)

I thought she was 11th. I honestly don't remember her at all.

Alexe actually qualifies for one Senior Grand Prix event in 2009-10 because she won the bronze at the JGP Final in December 2008. Having turned 17 in January, she also has the option of returning to the JGP next season -- don't yet know which international level she will choose.

I haven't seen her skate but she seemed quite ambitious when stating her goals. That's a long way to move up in such a short time. Perhaps she should look to 2014 instead?

I thought this video was very well done and wish more features like this could be done for some of the "lesser-known" skaters.

Same here. ITA.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I haven't seen her skate but she seemed quite ambitious when stating her goals. That's a long way to move up in such a short time. Perhaps she should look to 2014 instead?

Yeah, that's probably wiser. The current top tier at Nationals simply doesn't room for anyone else at this point. I have to say, it certainly seems like they have a high opinion of themselves... Alexe, one of the top 10 jumpers in the world?