Introduce a 12-year-old Chinese skater- Zijun Li | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Introduce a 12-year-old Chinese skater- Zijun Li

shine

Record Breaker
I don't think she can do JGP since her 12-year-old birthday was in Nov or Dec in 2008. So she is indeed very very young. Regarding her jumps, I think she has made significant stride over the past 12 months. She could barely land 2A, 3T in early 2008, and now she can land 3flip/3f(l)utz. I don't think any American novice medalist even tried jumps above 3loop this year.
If that's the case, then she indeed has made strides! I remember watching a 13-year-old Mao Asada underrotating many of her triple jumps and triple-triple combination. Yet they were much bigger and more beautiful by the time she won Jr. Worlds (15). Passing puberty also did not destroyed her but made her jumps even more powerful. So there's definitely hope if she gets the right guidance.

shine

Record Breaker
She has beautiful back flexibility and great height and ease on her jumps, but she is still a very little girl. It is too soon to predict what her future will be. She still skates very much like a little girl....but she is only 12. I noticed that she shares the flutz and the hesitation before the double axel with Zhang. I wonder if that is because of their coach...or just coincidence.

From the videos, I don't think she does her 2axel the way Caroline does it. She does telegraph it a bit, but she's far from coming to a stand-still, neither does she take off on her toe-pick the way Zhang does. Besides, she actually jumps up and gets pretty good air and ice coverage on it. I think she has MUCH better fundamentals than Zhang.
I know I probably shouldn't get too excited about a skater this young but I just can't get over her skating skills and how well she moves on the ice...IMO it's truly amazing for a skater her age. I would love for her to receive the correct guidance to help her hone her skills. And I think she is the kind of young skater that even the top name coaches would love to have as a pupil.

Last edited: