Lysacek leads strong U.S. team in Tokyo | Golden Skate

Lysacek leads strong U.S. team in Tokyo

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=63852&vkey=ice_news
Evan Lysacek isn't letting a stress fracture stop him from competing at the ISU World Team Trophy this week in Tokyo.

"Hey, it's OK," he said of his injured left foot, diagnosed just two weeks before the world championships in Los Angeles last month.

Since winning the world title in spectacular fashion before a hometown crowd, Lysacek has been touring with Smucker's Stars on Ice, performing at five stops up to and including the tour finale in Portland, Maine, last Saturday.

If Lysacek wins this over Joubert, Kozuka, Oda, Abbott, and Chan he will be on a roll to be quite a contender for the 2010 Winter Games.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about that stress fracture. If anything, he needs to rest now so it doesn't become a bigger problem next season... But I guess I'll trust that he knows what's best for him..

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I don't dispute the article, but who decides that Evan "leads" the team?

Maybe Rachael or Ben would like to lead the team. :biggrin:

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ Exactly, there can be really no dispute that the reigning world champion leads the field! Whatever way we fans predict the outcome.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can't really expect Evan to win here. I don't thin he will even try that hard. he doesn't have anything to prove, and he will not by trying the quad with that foot.

by the way I love how he stayed so calm and focused during LA through that injury. knowing he could not do the quad even if he had to...and feeling the pressure of skating at home. I am still just so proud of him.

I can't really expect Evan to win here. I don't thin he will even try that hard. he doesn't have anything to prove, and he will not by trying the quad with that foot.

by the way I love how he stayed so calm and focused during LA through that injury. knowing he could not do the quad even if he had to...and feeling the pressure of skating at home. I am still just so proud of him.
You have to realize that Evan Lysacek will be the reigning Men's World Champion going into the 2010 Olympics.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
You have to realize that Evan Lysacek will be the reigning Men's World Champion going into the 2010 Olympics.

On another board, a discussion came up on the difference between figure skating and boxing. In boxing, when the world champion loses, he is no longer the champion. In skating, the world champion can lose several times ....... and remain the champion. :scratch:

I think more sports are like figure skating than boxing in that regard.

The team that won the World Series can lose a hundred games the next season, but they are still the champs until next October.

ae9177

On the Ice
Evan is officially nominated as the captain of Team USA. :clap: It's very gutsy for him to skate so well through the injury.

He's a great ambassador of USA and the sports, I have no doubt that he'll give it 120% in the competition as he always does. :rock:

krenseby

Final Flight
^^ Exactly, there can be really no dispute that the reigning world champion leads the field! Whatever way we fans predict the outcome.

I beg to differ. The skater who leads the team is the national champion, the winner of the competition held to determine the best skater in the country.

This year's results say that Jeremy Abbott is the best skater in the U.S. and hence the leader of the U.S. men's team.

On another board, a discussion came up on the difference between figure skating and boxing. In boxing, when the world champion loses, he is no longer the champion. In skating, the world champion can lose several times ....... and remain the champion. :scratch:
Tennis has 5 biggies but no World Champion. They do have sort of a Body of Work which I consider as showing consisstent quality.

This year's results say that Jeremy Abbott is the best skater in the U.S. and hence the leader of the U.S. men's team.

But then again, the U.S. men's team comprises only two skaters, Lysacek and Abbott. Maybe Abbott could be the captain for the short program and Lysacek for the long program.

The captain of the U.S. women's team is Alissa Czisny, in absentia.

The U.S. pairs team consists of one pair, Denny and Barrett. The captains of the U.S. pair's team are, in absentia, McLaughlin and Brubaker. Same with Davis and White.

Mayve the teams took a vote and elected who they wanted for captain. That would be better, I think.

Tennis has 5 biggies but no World Champion. They do have sort of a Body of Work which I consider as showing consisstent quality.

I like how they do it in Hockey. The Stanley Cup is, according to the provisions of Lord Stanley's endowment, a challenge cup to be held by "the best team in Canada."

If you have a team and you think you are better than the holder of the Stanley Cup, then you can challenge that team to a match. If you win, then you are the best team in Canada and get to keep the trophy until a new challenger arises.

Currently the best team in Canada is the Detroit Red Wings. :rock: If, say, the NHL finals comes down to the Anaheim Ducks versus the Pittsburgh Penguins, and the Ducks win, then Ananheim is the best team in Canada and the Penguins play the role of surrogate Red Wings and must surrender the Cup.

I love sports! :yes:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Mayve the teams took a vote and elected who they wanted for captain. That would be better, I think.
I read somewhere that the team captains are Lysacek, Joubert, Jana Khokhlova, Hao Zhang, Oda and Scott Moir. I have no idea if this is true or how they were chosen.