Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Be Good Johnny Weir Picked Up by Sundance

Custom Title

Be Good Johnny Weir Picked Up by Sundance

Based on reports from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Broadcasting and Cable and the Business Insider, among others, Johnny's series about his preparation for the 2010 Olympics appears to be a go on Sundance

That's good news. I presume you mean the cable channel and not the movie. I don't think I get the Sundance on cable. that's bad news.

Yea for him!!

I hope I have the Sundance channel. Hmmm I'll have to check in the morning.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am excited to see this, should be an intesting watch, does anybody know when it starts?

On the other hand, I question Johnn'y frame of mind. He is a major medal contender for the olympics, not like Bebe Liang and Dani Khale who were "stars" of Ice Diaries last olympic cycle. Does he really want cameras following him to practice sessoions, his programs broadcast to his competitors before the season begins, his weakness known etc. Most athletes, Johnny included have valued privacy in thier training, understandalby. I guess this means that his motive would be monetary. Remeber with his placement at nationals he did not get is usually couple of thousand for a medal at nationals which he is usually a shoe in for. He has mentioned lack of funding in the past.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, and this has been a hard year for many people. Johnny and his family may feel a need for the extra money, in exchange for the loss of privacy.

I hope he rocks the Grand Prix season and is a major medal contender going into the Olympics. Having a long reality show leading up to the Olympics could be the kick in the pants to ignite a new round of skating fandom.--sorely needed.

I also believe it is a matter of money, but from a fan's point of view it's going to be very interesting . I'm looking forward to watch some videos.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    On the other hand, I question Johnn'y frame of mind. He is a major medal contender for the olympics, not like Bebe Liang and Dani Khale who were "stars" of Ice Diaries last olympic cycle. Does he really want cameras following him to practice sessoions, his programs broadcast to his competitors before the season begins, his weakness known etc. Most athletes, Johnny included have valued privacy in thier training, understandalby. I guess this means that his motive would be monetary. Remeber with his placement at nationals he did not get is usually couple of thousand for a medal at nationals which he is usually a shoe in for. He has mentioned lack of funding in the past.
    This is what I was thinking too. I don't see how this Pandora's box of publicity will help him at perhaps the most stressful point in his career. But maybe his inner egomaniac will come out and shine in the spotlight. I hope so!

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I of course will watch if I have sundance channel because I am a sucker for things like this.

However, I do have to question if this will harm him or help him in his training for the Olympics. Should be interesting to see!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Having a long reality show leading up to the Olympics could be the kick in the pants to ignite a new round of skating fandom.--sorely needed.
    only very few people the Sundance Channel, and there has been zero publicty on this show. I googed it and coudl find nothing. If they made a reality show about Caroline, Evan and McLaughlin and Brubaker, on NBC THAT might help ratings, this....not so much.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Beg to differ. McLaughlin and Brubaker are a lot more obscure than Johnny Weir. People remember Johnny from the 2006 Olympics. M&B went to Worlds their first time this year, and didn't make top 10.

In fact, I wouldn't even bother to watch or hunt for vids of M&B, but I'll try to find youtubes or other vids of Johnny's show. If it's like his diaries, it will be very interesting.

I remember Johnny from 06 Olympics and don't ever recall a US skater giving such a lame effort. But his even lamer excuses were enough for me to never take him seriously again. As to being an Olympic medal contender, that seems doubtful - but in fairness, not impossible. The problem for Johnny will be just making the US Men's team this season. He will need to skate at a very high level in both programs to have a chance. Mroz appears to be for real and Rippon may be ready. Jeremy was close to disastrous at worlds and WTT so Johnny may catch a spot yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I remember Johnny from 06 Olympics and don't ever recall a US skater giving such a lame effort.
    You mean no US skater ever landed lower than 5th at the Olympics?

The way some people talk, it's as if he finished last at the Olympics. Going into the event he had an outside hope for bronze. In the end, he finished 5th. What a disaster! If that's the lamest you've ever seen, you need to watch more skating, dear.

Custom Title
    The reason there hasn't been much publicity about this series is that it will not debut until early January 2010.

It was his effort I was referring to sweetheart, and the ridiculous excuses that followed. The skating was so-so from a technical point but lacked any intensity or fire. It was easy to see there was no real effort on the night of his Olympic LP.
    I wish him luck with his reality show as he seems more concerned with his image, outfits and Gala appearances than he does with his competitive skating.

Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    The reason there hasn't been much publicity about this series is that it will not debut until early January 2010.
    That seems like bad planning. We won't see him prepare until the olympics until the olympics is right on our doorstep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast