Be Good Johnny Weir Picked Up by Sundance | Golden Skate

Be Good Johnny Weir Picked Up by Sundance

efreedman

On the Ice
Based on reports from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Broadcasting and Cable and the Business Insider, among others, Johnny's series about his preparation for the 2010 Olympics appears to be a go on Sundance:clap:

That's good news. I presume you mean the cable channel and not the movie. I don't think I get the Sundance on cable. that's bad news.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am excited to see this, should be an intesting watch, does anybody know when it starts?

On the other hand, I question Johnn'y frame of mind. He is a major medal contender for the olympics, not like Bebe Liang and Dani Khale who were "stars" of Ice Diaries last olympic cycle. Does he really want cameras following him to practice sessoions, his programs broadcast to his competitors before the season begins, his weakness known etc. Most athletes, Johnny included have valued privacy in thier training, understandalby. I guess this means that his motive would be monetary. Remeber with his placement at nationals he did not get is usually couple of thousand for a medal at nationals which he is usually a shoe in for. He has mentioned lack of funding in the past.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, and this has been a hard year for many people. Johnny and his family may feel a need for the extra money, in exchange for the loss of privacy.

I hope he rocks the Grand Prix season and is a major medal contender going into the Olympics. Having a long reality show leading up to the Olympics could be the kick in the pants to ignite a new round of skating fandom.--sorely needed.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I also believe it is a matter of money, but from a fan's point of view it's going to be very interesting :yes:. I'm looking forward to watch some videos.

On the other hand, I question Johnn'y frame of mind. He is a major medal contender for the olympics, not like Bebe Liang and Dani Khale who were "stars" of Ice Diaries last olympic cycle. Does he really want cameras following him to practice sessoions, his programs broadcast to his competitors before the season begins, his weakness known etc. Most athletes, Johnny included have valued privacy in thier training, understandalby. I guess this means that his motive would be monetary. Remeber with his placement at nationals he did not get is usually couple of thousand for a medal at nationals which he is usually a shoe in for. He has mentioned lack of funding in the past.
This is what I was thinking too. I don't see how this Pandora's box of publicity will help him at perhaps the most stressful point in his career. But maybe his inner egomaniac will come out and shine in the spotlight. I hope so! :love:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I of course will watch if I have sundance channel because I am a sucker for things like this.

However, I do have to question if this will harm him or help him in his training for the Olympics. Should be interesting to see!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Having a long reality show leading up to the Olympics could be the kick in the pants to ignite a new round of skating fandom.--sorely needed.

only very few people the Sundance Channel, and there has been zero publicty on this show. I googed it and coudl find nothing. If they made a reality show about Caroline, Evan and McLaughlin and Brubaker, on NBC THAT might help ratings, this....not so much.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Beg to differ. McLaughlin and Brubaker are a lot more obscure than Johnny Weir. People remember Johnny from the 2006 Olympics. M&B went to Worlds their first time this year, and didn't make top 10.

In fact, I wouldn't even bother to watch or hunt for vids of M&B, but I'll try to find youtubes or other vids of Johnny's show. If it's like his diaries, it will be very interesting.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I remember Johnny from 06 Olympics and don't ever recall a US skater giving such a lame effort. But his even lamer excuses were enough for me to never take him seriously again. As to being an Olympic medal contender, that seems doubtful - but in fairness, not impossible. The problem for Johnny will be just making the US Men's team this season. He will need to skate at a very high level in both programs to have a chance. Mroz appears to be for real and Rippon may be ready. Jeremy was close to disastrous at worlds and WTT so Johnny may catch a spot yet.

psycho

On the Ice
I remember Johnny from 06 Olympics and don't ever recall a US skater giving such a lame effort.

You mean no US skater ever landed lower than 5th at the Olympics? :eek:

The way some people talk, it's as if he finished last at the Olympics. Going into the event he had an outside hope for bronze. In the end, he finished 5th. What a disaster! If that's the lamest you've ever seen, you need to watch more skating, dear.

nylynnr

On the Ice
The reason there hasn't been much publicity about this series is that it will not debut until early January 2010.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It was his effort I was referring to sweetheart, and the ridiculous excuses that followed. The skating was so-so from a technical point but lacked any intensity or fire. It was easy to see there was no real effort on the night of his Olympic LP.
I wish him luck with his reality show as he seems more concerned with his image, outfits and Gala appearances than he does with his competitive skating.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The reason there hasn't been much publicity about this series is that it will not debut until early January 2010.

That seems like bad planning. We won't see him prepare until the olympics until the olympics is right on our doorstep.

nylynnr

On the Ice
Well, the show is a documentary about the immediate run-up to the Olympics. This isn't contemplated as a long-running series, it's a seven episode arc prior to Vancouver, with one episode as the aftermath.

taylorfax

On the Ice
I remember Johnny from 06 Olympics and don't ever recall a US skater giving such a lame effort.
Yeah, his efforts were so lame, they converted me to a fan overnight.

You seem to be amusing me in every thread I go to today.