Ladies Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

ks777

Record Breaker
What a silly competition it is... So anti-climactic. Team Trophy! so nationalistic the idea is, very much against the individual nature of the sport. I wonder who came up with the idea. Instead of putting their tired bodies to a rest, poor skaters get dragged into a completely meaningless competition after the season is over because some country with lots of sponsors want to prove something; it is depressing to see that the world's top skaters are treated like clowns in a variety show. Hopefully no one gets injured in the process.

You should know that the skaters do make money at this event. In north america, not many skaters have sponsorships and this should help a little since there is no champions on ice tour.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I don't know how that's even possible. I don't know about you, but I'm no owl. I can't turn my head 180 degrees around. I doubt Mao can either.

:rofl: and at the fact that the bots firmly believe that the skid on an axel is a cheat for pre-rotation. Man, the Olympics is going to be epic with these bot battles.

It is anti-climatic because all skaters in each division here peaked already, save for Evan. IMHO, I thought Mao peaked at the GPF after what transpired afterwards. Joannie has already peaked at Worlds, possibly even at Nationals or 4CC since she had said that by worlds she's already feeling exhausted. Miki might have peaked at worlds but I think she'll be on podium. So yes, there's a chance that Joannie might be given the boot, though I hope she can at least perform her FS cleanly before she retires the program.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The main thing I notice about Joubert's triple axel is the lack of "step up" into the axel. The men tend to fall into two categories - the ones who kick the free leg through bent and jump up towards the free leg rotating around it (which i think looks better, gives the jump a delayed feel, and pop off the take off edge with little or no pre-rotation) which looks like a "step up" (skaters like Yags, Plush, Stojko jump it this way). Then there's the others who don't kick the leg very far through and skid the take off edge when getting off the ice. The skid means they pre-rotate to a degree, some worse than others. Joubert usually jumps like this but doesn't pre-rotated more than a 1/4 turn.

Ant

Right. Wier falls into cateory one and Evan deffinetly does a caegory 2. I think Mao would fall into #2 as well.
I don't get the whole hoopla about if mao's double toe was underoratted. She did the triple axel for heaven's sake. The requirements are to do it in combonation. As far as I know a single is a combonation.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
You should know that the skaters do make money at this event. In north america, not many skaters have sponsorships and this should help a little since there is no champions on ice tour.

I already covered your concern when I said "some country with lots of sponsors". Besides, even if some of them would rather skip it, they can't because all top skaters are required to participate.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Lol.

I think it's obvious the bots are threatened, or they wouldn't be in here blabbing about a skater they detest. They must be worried Mao can beat Yu-Na if she's firing on all cylinders. What I can't stand is the downplaying of Mao's score -- "Oh, it's just a cheesefest, so her score won't count for anything, and besides, the event's in Japan" -- it belittles Mao's achievement. Where I disagree with the scoring is in the nitpicking on skaters like Rachael and Caroline, whose 3-3s could've been permissibly ratified - if Mao had been given the same kind of scrutiny, she might've been downgraded, too. And about her Level 4 footwork - all of Evan's flailing in both the footwork sequences in his LP didn't even warrant them to be graded a Level 4, so people can draw their own conclusions on how Mao was graded.

As for Miki, her 3L looks fully rotated at first glance, but in the slow-mo replay one can see her foot turns quite a bit on the landing, so the downgrade might've been justified.

This user has most of the ladies' SPs in pristine HD:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=F22EJRaptor&view=videos

I must say Caroline looks faster in HD, and despite the score, this is the best she's performed that SP all season! :clap:

Yep, Miki's 3loop was definitely underrotated. I watched Zhang and I thought it looked fully rotated..

I am hoping Miki would give up on that 3loop and go for 3lutz/3toe instead. I think she has a better chance of rotating that jump.

Flatt's 3flip/3toe was definitely rotated. I am getting sick of the tech callers! Flatt couldn't have done any better than that!! I am sorry but I feel that the tech callers have too much power over who wins and who loses. I don't even know how Mao didn't gett her 3/3 downgraded in SP at worlds, that was underrotated. Yuna's 2a/3toe at worlds looked suspecious too but this 3/3 by flatt was fully rotated and no doubt about it. No wonder figure skating is dying in the US!
I don't know where the ISU is going to make money at once Mao, Miki and Yuna all retired.

ks777

Record Breaker
I already covered your concern when I said "some country with lots of sponsors". Besides, even if some of them would rather skip it, they can't because all top skaters are required to participate.

My point was, it's better than going on a tour for 3-4 months. You lose so much time for rest and practice.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
My point was, it's better than going on a tour for 3-4 months. You lose so much time for rest and practice.

That doesn't justify to put skaters like Tessa Virtue, who is on her way to recovery, into another tolling competition only because some skaters need a lump sum money. She might want to appear in a show or two, rather than having to compete in a competition.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
That doesn't justify to put skaters like Tessa Virtue, who is on her way to recovery, into another tolling competition only because some skaters need a lump sum money. She might want to appear in a show or two, rather than having to compete in a competition.

I hear you but she could have said no and stay home and recover from the injury. She needed the money obviously.

I don't get the whole hoopla about if mao's double toe was underoratted. She did the triple axel for heaven's sake. The requirements are to do it in combonation. As far as I know a single is a combonation.

I think the requirement for the short program combination jump is that both jumps must be at least doubles.

If Mao's 2T and been downgraded to 1T she would have got a manditory -3 GOE for the element.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I hear you but she could have said no and stay home and recover from the injury. She needed the money obviously.

I don't think she would have competed and endangered herself just to make money. If they weren't up to the competition, I really think they would have spoken up and withdrawn. I'm sure they're getting quite a bit of money from SC, especially with the Olympics in Canada right around the corner.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
I don't think she would have competed and endangered herself just to make money. If they weren't up to the competition, I really think they would have spoken up and withdrawn. I'm sure they're getting quite a bit of money from SC, especially with the Olympics in Canada right around the corner.

I agree. Besides, Patrick Chan and Joannie Rochette all have corporate sponsorship but nevertheless had to show up in the competition. No wonder they looked so tired during their performances.

What a silly competition it is... So anti-climactic. Team Trophy! So nationalistic the idea is, very much against the tradition of individuality of the sport. I wonder who came up with the idea.

I think the ISU is trying everything they can to stir up interest in figure skating by whatever means they can come up with. In the U.S., before the bottom completely fell out of the market, the USFSA was grasping at gimmicks like a phone-in-the-vote American Idol-type show and USA-versus-the-World team events.

There was always some sort of post-season competition that was either billed as a rematch of rivalries at Worlds, or else as a let-down-your-hair type of event that was more exhibition than competition.

The top skaters don't really have to go if they don't want to. They can request that that their federation not send them (like Johnny Weir), or they can plead injury (like McLaughlin and Brubaker). I think most of the skaters who are here are fine with it.

It is depressing to see that the world's top skaters are treated like clowns in a variety show.

Well, maybe "clowns" is an exaggeration, but, yes, I do think that most of the skaters at this level think of themselves as entertainers as well as athletes. I think they enjoy performing for the applause of audiences.

Edited to add: About the "nationalistic" aspect, we can just think of it like the Olympics. We can appreciate the individual performances. Then -- for people who enjoy that sort of thing -- we can add up how many medals each country won and say hooray for our side!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the ISU is trying everything they can to stir up interest in figure skating by whatever means they can come up with.

Then why place this event in Japan, with no TV coverage anywhere except Japan, and provide no on-line live streaming of the event.

You can't stir up interest in a vacuum.

Then why place this event in Japan, with no TV coverage anywhere except Japan, and provide no on-line live streaming of the event.

I am sure it is because Japan was the only country willing and able to put up the money.