Arnold and California Recall | Golden Skate

Arnold and California Recall

What do people think of the California recall election, especially all the things that have been coming out about Arnold Schwarznegger and his response to the allegations?
Rgirl

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I have never like A S at all. His ego is bigger than his muscles.
I don't know much about the current Gov. I sure wouldn't want A S as my gov. What happened to his wife? Looks like a walking skeleton.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I live in cali and I really want Arnold. The current gov has given people who arent here legally driver's licences and TRIPLED our car tax and the democrat who wants to replace him is really stupid and fails to make any sence.

Lanie

On the Ice
Davis is a schmuck and so is Bustamante. They were both in the screw-up of CA as far as I'm concerned. I don't want Arnold, though, but McClintock won't win, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils or something like that. Sigh. I do want Davis out. Alas, I can't vote until next year!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
skatepixie said:
I live in cali and I really want Arnold. The current gov has given people who arent here legally driver's licences and TRIPLED our car tax and the democrat who wants to replace him is really stupid and fails to make any sence.

I'm voting for the stupid guy who doesn't make any sense. I can't bring myself to vote for a Nazi sympathizer--past or present. Mr. RG has now declared himself a Republican and is voting for McClintock. Mr. RG has a new car for which he has waited many years and is upset about having to pay triple the fees on it. Many people agree. I don't know anyone who actually likes Davis or thinks he's done anything but screw up our State. I'm a PTA president, and the budget cuts for education this year have been appalling. I hold Davis responsible in large measure.

The ONLY reason Arnold is receiving support from his party is due to his name recognition. The party leaders and endorsers are capitalizing on his fame to take over the State--it's not as though they believe he actually has a clue about running CA! Heck, Arnold couldn't even be bothered to actually VOTE in elections (big story on how few elections he actually voted in)--and now he's running in one? Give me a break.
:p

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm from Calif., and our family has four cars (our sons's each have old cars they drive). The tripled car tax did me in, and I think is what is sinking Davis. I am definitely voting for the recall, but am undecided at this point who to vote for. Davis has had 6 years to make a difference to the voters of Ca., and as far as I'm concerned, dropped the ball a long time ago............there's no room for "arrogance" when running the 5th largest economy in the world............42

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
They are all a bunch of schmucks, in my opinion. Our choices last November were pathetic. Our choices now are pathetic. Amazing how with all the millions of people in this state, we can't come up with one good political canidate. Ugh.

Show - I agree that there's no room for arrogance, but do you know of any politicians who aren't arrogant and don't have egos larger than the state itself?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I live in California, and I am completely against this recall. I certainly understand and respect how people feel about the new car registration fees, but what about the money being spent on this recall? What Davis has done so badly compared to past governors that he isn't given a chance to finish his term? Lastly, the person who started this recall isn't even running and is now showing some regret in getting this circus started. I feel that if this recall is successful (which, unfortunately, it will be at this point), then we should recall GW Bush!!! Then again, he has just over a year to finish his term, so what's the point???? I personally am voting NO on the recall and NOT PICKING A REPLACEMENT CANDIDATE!!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Herm,

I agree with you. I think Davis is the same brand of idiot now as he was when elected less than a year ago. He hasn't committed any recall-worthy sins. As such, I think the recall sets a bad precedent. Although, there is something to be said for sticking it to the politicians who look down on all of us like we are a bunch of morons and are here to be taken advantage of for a politician's political advancement!

tharrtell

4dogknight

Final Flight
I don't live in CA so I can’t comment on the political or economic situation but I do have a gripe about the election and the media frenzy surrounding it.

I find it reprehensible that the TV and satellite programmers are offering a plethora of AS films in the two weeks preceding the election.

Shouldn’t all the candidates be offered three to six hour blocks of time to air their films too? I’m sure that one or two of the candidates have films that are comparable to Hercules in New York or the Conan films.

4dk who lives in a state that recently had a media feeding frenzy

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I think Floridians every where are breathing a sigh of relief that California has convincingly become the political joke of the nation.

I think the California triple car tax should be replaced with a "pain and suffering" tax to the citizens of all the other states that have been subjected to unavoidable and endless telecasts covering this circus.

From what I can see - not that I can avoid it unless I shut myself off to any source of media whatsoever (who needs to know the traffic and weather anyway) - there doesn't seem to be a competent person in the bunch. That is freakin scary!!

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
one more thing....

This whole recall circus has overshadowed the Mayoral election in San Francisco. We finally are getting rid of Willie Brown, but unfortunately this important election has really been pushed aside by the recall - very sad.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
What happened to the sentiment that entertainers have no business being in politics or discussing politics that was so rampant six to eight months ago? Oh, I forgot. That only applies to liberal entertainers. Conservative entertainers can do whatever they want.:rolleye:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just a few more hours until the polls open at 7:00 a.m. and I am still undecided.........

Tharrtell........I agree that arrogance has its part in politics, as does ego......but our current governor seems to go out of his way to annoy just about every public interest group and citizen of California......As far as the recall is concerned, I think many people felt that the "hint" of a recall might have put a bit of "fear" into Davis to "shape up" but he went ahead and put through his "triple" car tax bill, a slap in the face to all Californians.......okay, off my soap box for awhile........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not in Cali... but I have to say that I don't think either of the two "top" runners are anything special... the current gov seems extremly arrogant... and I think he's behind of at least some of this *all of a sudden* outbreak of girls being harrassed by A S. It's funny how they come out 15-20 years AFTER the fact... somehow me thinks if it even ever happened they LIKED the attention...

A S is just using his name and his wife's heritage to get him more publicity... he's very liberal for a republican... and I really haven't heard anything on what he's against or for other than he's against the current gov and for the recall LOL

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jimmy Hoffa said:
What happened to the sentiment that entertainers have no business being in politics or discussing politics that was so rampant six to eight months ago? Oh, I forgot. That only applies to liberal entertainers. Conservative entertainers can do whatever they want.:rolleye:

since when is A S a conservative??? He's a "moderate" republican... which is really just "liberal"

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
show 42 said:
...but our current governor seems to go out of his way to annoy just about every public interest group and citizen of California......

Show, you are right. All politicians look out for themselves and their political aspirations first and foremost, but Governor Gumby is especially good at that. I haven't been paying attention to politics all that long (as I'm only 28), but have never seen a politician so adept at making decisions based on how it will further his political career. That there is the only semblance of consistency in Gray Davis' policy.

Should be an interesting day. I pulled up the internet at 7:52 (Yahoo time) and was informed that 'the race is still to close to call.' Duh, the polls hadn't been opened for an hour!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am rather puzzled by those who think Arnold can do something for the world's 6th economy. He says: I wil not raise taxes; I will not spend more than take in; I will not cut education. Which brings me to a question: HOW IS HE GOING TO BALANCE THOSE BOOKS???!!! There is this myth that governement is soooo fat that it's easy to cut it. IT IS NOT! If he stays true to his word, he will need to cut all other governement programs (including medicaid and other help for low-income and eldery).

The problem is that since the early 90's (it could have been 80's, I do not recall) California has a law (voter initiative) that caps property taxes at something ridiculously low. Traditionally, property taxes are the MOST reliable source of tax income, as they decrease less than others in recessions. This forces the state to find the income elsewhere. I mean, as MathMan can no doubt tell us, 5 minus 1 cannot be equal to 6.

windspirit

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
What do people think of the California recall election, especially all the things that have been coming out about Arnold Schwarznegger and his response to the allegations?
I think Arnold is a pig. Those allegations are not new. There was an article ("Arnold the Barbarian") about his behavior towards women in PREMIERE a few years ago (March 2001, I think). With names, and a few pics. Arnold said(?) he's going to sue the magazine -- so far he hasn't. Linda Hamilton wrote a letter (denying everything and maybe threatening to sue, as well, I don't remember) to the editor; it was printed a month later. PREMIERE responded that the author had researched his article thoroughly and he (and they) stood by it. And that was it. No lawsuits, nothing.

I saw Arnold a few days ago on TV, a journalist asked him about those allegations (groping women, etc). It went something like that:
- What can you say about those allegations?
- This isn't me, I wouldn't do something like that.
- So you deny them?
- Not all of them, but this isn't me... etc. (which is, to me, a contradiction)

Here's a link to the article from PREMIERE (I've read it in the paper version when it came out, and it looks like the same article):
http://www.livejournal.com/users/scripty/66604.html

An excerpt:
He’s also often hinted that he might eventually seek political office. In the Loaded article, he said, “In America I could go all the way to Speaker of the House. I think I could bring a little spice to the job. I think I could put a little fire up their asses.”

Now you know what he wants to do in California. ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I had a change of heart at the very last minute and voted for McClintock. I have never voted for a Republican in my life (I'm from Massachusetts--'nuf said). Issues with illegal immigrants and licensing, etc. swayed me away from Cruz.

I find Arnold to be extremely deceitful. Several months ago he pretended to suddenly lose audio contact when asked if he planned to make his tax records public. The following day, it came out that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the audio--he just did not want to answer the question. In other words, HE LIED. Right then and there, I knew with what kind of man we were dealing.