Men's LP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Not me - i thought Sasha's Olympic LP was overmarked too and thought her silver was beyond a gift.
2006 Olys was such a bad competition in the ladies event (and the men's) so even if Sasha was gifted a bit, it's not like the others were being wuzrobbed.

Evan is on fire. 4 back to back clean skates for him. same podium as worlds. Funny.
You must mean visibly clean skates. Two URs and an ! is not a clean skate.

bekalc

Record Breaker
His jump content is also nothing to come home about in this competition but the in-betweens saved his score. A well-balanced program should be able to work the code that way

How is a program well balanced when it doesn't have a clean triple axel?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well, that's a very well balanced program - among the Ladies and the Juniors.
We'll see tomorrow how it would have fared against Mao and Miki. Of course, they don't get their PCS multiplied by the same factor.

And Adam Rippon's winning LP at JW was better than any of those done by Chan in 2008-9, bar maybe 4CC.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I suspect if Patrick Chan skates clean and wins in Vancouver, plenty of people will scream that he didn't deserve it, even if everyone else falls down. And god forbid Joubert should beat him sheerly by getting more PCS than he deserve, and then anyone so much as *hint* it might not have been entirely fair. He'll become the most hated skater ever on these message boards...

i love to skate

Medalist
I suspect if Patrick Chan skates clean and wins in Vancouver, plenty of people will scream that he didn't deserve it, even if everyone else falls down. And god forbid Joubert should beat him sheerly by getting more PCS than he deserve, and then anyone so much as *hint* it might not have been entirely fair. He'll become the most hated skater ever on these message boards...

ITA. Well said!

oleada

Record Breaker
Patrick was really overscored, IMO. 151 for a performance with multiple mistakes, only two combos, and no clean 3A? Yes, he's got good skating skills and artistry (which is subjective, anyway) but they're not as so superior to the rest of the field as his PCS scores seem to indicate. He's not considerably faster than the other guys, and Oda and Evan, for example, have excellent basics. Oda has, IMO, even better jumps. Evan's an excellent spinner. I don't see why his elements receive so much higher GOE than the rest of the guys. Also, the performance aspect of his skate suffered due to his mistakes.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Basically, the jump content that Chan put out there was on a par with what a Junior skater would present. Yes, Chan has great skating skills (other than jumps), transitions and choreography, but PE and IN are not nearly as good.

It seems as if he can dilute his technical content to bare-bones level and still be assured of being held up stratospherically by the judges even when he doesn't skate cleanly. No wonder he displays such a degree of arrogance and seems to feel he is entitled to top placements just by virtue of stepping out on the ice.

Has a diva been born?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Basically, the jump content that Chan put out there was on a par with what a Junior skater would present. Yes, Chan has great skating skills (other than jumps), transitions and choreography, but PE and IN are not nearly as good.

It seems as if he can dilute his technical content to bare-bones level and still be assured of being held up stratospherically by the judges even when he doesn't skate cleanly. No wonder he displays such a degree of arrogance and seems to feel he is entitled to top placements just by virtue of stepping out on the ice.

Has a diva been born?

Right. Any attituide that he has is the judges fault. Yeah he was greadt SS and wonderful knees, but so do Kozuka and Oda. Abbot's PCS should be pretty big too. I have no beef woth skaters getting reawrded for such attention to detail, but with no 3 axel? Sorry Patrick you need a 3 axel and/or a quad if you want to play with the big boys.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight

Has a diva been born?

Right. Any attituide that he has is the judges fault. Yeah he was greadt SS and wonderful knees, but so do Kozuka and Oda. Abbot's PCS should be pretty big too. I have no beef woth skaters getting reawrded for such attention to detail, but with no 3 axel? Sorry Patrick you need a 3 axel and/or a quad if you want to play with the big boys.

FINALLY somebody said it thank you both so much I have been waiting for someone to bring this up. Patrick is egotistical, has a bad attitude, and does not respect his competitors. Patrick Chan's skating resembles tha tof a junior skater yet he is rewarded like a self appointed champion.

That felt good.

Andalusia

Final Flight

Has a diva been born?

:rock:

I like the Chan-Chan man, but I have to agree with your statement. He has become the male Joannie, and vice-versa, except that Patrick does have some sterling qualities to his skating, whereas I don't personally feel that Joannie's skating is so much better than everyone else's that she should be held up despite her lack of a 3-3, or when she makes mistakes, etc.

But don't worry, certain posters (not just on this board) who love to belabour their points and are now virulently anti-Chan have taken it upon themselves to take digs at him in practically every post they make.

As for Evan, I'm not normally a fan of men's skating, but I thought his LP was just wonderful. He's building up momentum to the Olympics, and good for him. That opening 3-3 was so beautiful, and he seemed gently expressive here - a rarity for him.

i love to skate

Medalist
FINALLY somebody said it thank you both so much I have been waiting for someone to bring this up. Patrick is egotistical, has a bad attitude, and does not respect his competitors. Patrick Chan's skating resembles tha tof a junior skater yet he is rewarded like a self appointed champion.

That felt good.

Finally? People have been saying this pretty much since the beginning of the season. Seems the majority of people have turned on him and he is now public enemy number one. I'm just glad I won't be visiting these boards during the Olympics...I can't imagine what they will be like then.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Finally? People have been saying this pretty much since the beginning of the season. Seems the majority of people have turned on him and he is now public enemy number one. I'm just glad I won't be visiting these boards during the Olympics...I can't imagine what they will be like then.
I don't think anyone hates Patrick Chan, or sees him as a public enemy. I certainly don't hate people I don't know, except some nasty dictators and the like, which Chan certainly is not.

Some of us are just not so impressed with Chan's skating and believe the judges are being overly generous in scoring him. Nobody faults Chan himself for taking advantage, he's hardly the only one to benefit from questionnable marks; but some people do take issue with his more recent behavior as it comes across in interviews and statements - the ugly comments towards Joubert, the sense that he feels entitled to very high scores regardless of his skating, the suggestion that if his marks are too low (in his opinion) it's a matter for Speedy to get upset about... It's not appealing.

Despite this, even people who are quite critical of Chan's skating and scoring - like chuckm, Medusa and myself, to name a few in this thread - normally point out his strenghts, including his transition-packed programs, difficult step sequences and strong basic skating skills. I don't think it can be argued that Chan's strengths include jump content and presentation at this point in his career.

IMO, the suggestion that Chan or Canadians are being bashed is very much a pot calling the kettle black situation. Here's what I wrote about it during Worlds (taken from the men's LP thread):
I find it really disappointing that people come here and accuse others of bashing Canadians and then go about bashing various non-Canadians... Enough already. These skaters have worked so hard, for so many years, and even if we don't like their skating, let's at least try not to get too bitchy.
As a fan of two skaters who are often maligned (Brian and Caro), I think Chan hasn't been the target of a fraction of the nastiness those two attract (Brian's a petulant jerk who can only do quads and pelvic thrusts, Caro apparently does backroom deals to assure herself of high PCS). I'm willing to try and tone down my criticism of Chan (really, I think it's already focused mostly on the judges and not on Patrick), but I would expect others to do the same for skaters they happen to dislike.

Oh, and I doubt I'll post much during Olys, at least not in real time. The time difference, it's a killer.

i love to skate

Medalist
Despite this, even people who are quite critical of Chan's skating and scoring - like chuckm, Medusa and myself, to name a few in this thread - normally point out his strenghts, including his transition-packed programs, difficult step sequences and strong basic skating skills. I don't think it can be argued that Chan's strengths include jump content and presentation at this point in his career.

I don't think people often point out his better qualities. People are constantly on him; calling him a brat, arrogant, stuck up, and that he has a sense of entitlement. He may have made some comments that some people disagreed with but I don't think he deserves all of this criticism. He is barely 18 years old and will only graduate from high school in June. Let the kid be a kid and make some mistakes without jumping all over him.

IMO, the suggestion that Chan or Canadians are being bashed is very much a pot calling the kettle black situation.

The Canadian bashing was very much in the forefront during the 4CC competition. This is where the whole PCS= Patrick Chan Scores came from and whenever a Canadian received a high score it was only because they were from Canada.

I remember when W/P skated and received a higher score than their last competition and people complained about that. In turns out that at their last compeition they had received a couple Level 1s and therefore made the corrections and got better levels at 4CC. That is where the higher marks came from. I cannot stand when everything is made out to be a conspiracy without people looking up the facts first.

Oh, and I doubt I'll post much during Olys, at least not in real time. The time difference, it's a killer.

I'm lucky enough that I will be there and can't wait!! :thumbsup:

After all, you can't have a good conspiracy without eeeeevil Russians. It's nowhere near as fun to Blame Canada :biggrin:.

The view from the grassy knoll: Didn't you notice that Canada already cheated against Japan in this competition? Dube and Davison deliberately messed up, allow Denny and Barrett to get thrid and keep the U.S.A. ahead of Japan overall. :yes:

As for the Russians, they have a secret deal to keep Khokhlova and Novitski off the podium before Vancouver, so they can unleash them as a secret weapon that no one will be expecting. :cool:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The Canadian bashing was very much in the forefront during the 4CC competition. This is where the whole PCS= Patrick Chan Scores came from and whenever a Canadian received a high score it was only because they were from Canada.

I remember when W/P skated and received a higher score than their last competition and people complained about that. In turns out that at their last compeition they had received a couple Level 1s and therefore made the corrections and got better levels at 4CC. That is where the higher marks came from. I cannot stand when everything is made out to be a conspiracy without people looking up the facts first.
I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories myself, except for really fun ones (see above, and below :cool:). But can you seriously argue that this kind of thing has only been directed at the Canadian skaters? Even if you disregard the examples I gave in my previous post, check out the Worlds dance threads. Were DomShabs treated any better? 4CC is often scored in a rather dodgy manner, and I believe there was a bit of a home ice advantage at play (though I did defend V/M in the dance threads).

I'm lucky enough that I will be there and can't wait!! :thumbsup:
Did you get tickets? Wow, that should be fun.

The view from the grassy knoll: Didn't you notice that Canada already cheated against Japan in this competition? Dube and Davison deliberately messed up, allow Denny and Barrett to get thrid and keep the U.S.A. ahead of Japan overall. :yes:

As for the Russians, they have a secret deal to keep Khokhlova and Novitski off the podium before Vancouver, so they can unleash them as a secret weapon that no one will be expecting. :cool:
Mathman, your keen insight is unmatched on this forum :laugh:. I shudder to think what this, um, unleashing will involve, exactly :eek:.

Alicja

On the Ice
Those Patrick-Chan-was-overscored-everyone-else-was-robbed-discussions are sooo, I don't know, useless, I guess. I doesn't help either those who were underscored nor makes it Chan suddenly score lower. I can't help but getting annoyed. I think Chan knows perfectly well what his performances are worth and also realizes when he gets, let's say, more credit than he might have deserved.

I know, people will jump at me for saying this. So, first, yes, I know this is an opinion board. Second, yes, I do believe Chan was overscored at this WTT. Third, I know, you're blaming the judges, not Patrick Chan. Fourth, no, I don't want to offend you.

But this whining can be so tedious, especially when it starts before Chan has actually skated.
Same applies to Caro Kostner(heck, she mostly deserves those PCS), Rachael Flatt(from what some people say, you could think this girl can't do anything but jump but she CAN), Caroline Zhang(there's more to her skating than being slow), just to give a few examples. And excessive gushing isn't much better either.

Sorry, I had to get this off my chest. So, don't worry, be happy and enjoy the skating not the scoring.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Those Patrick-Chan-was-overscored-everyone-else-was-robbed-discussions are sooo, I don't know, useless, I guess. I doesn't help either those who were underscored nor makes it Chan suddenly score lower. I can't help but getting annoyed. I think Chan knows perfectly well what his performances are worth and also realizes when he gets, let's say, more credit than he might have deserved.

I know, people will jump at me for saying this. So, first, yes, I know this is an opinion board. Second, yes, I do believe Chan was overscored at this WTT. Third, I know, you're blaming the judges, not Patrick Chan. Fourth, no, I don't want to offend you.

But this whining can be so tedious, especially when it starts before Chan has actually skated.
Same applies to Caro Kostner(heck, she mostly deserves those PCS), Rachael Flatt(from what some people say, you could think this girl can't do anything but jump but she CAN), Caroline Zhang(there's more to her skating than being slow), just to give a few examples. And excessive gushing isn't much better either.

Sorry, I had to get this off my chest. So, don't worry, be happy and enjoy the skating not the scoring.

Well said. :agree:

turtle

On the Ice
Patrick is egotistical, has a bad attitude, and does not respect his competitors.
That felt good.

Wow, it's surprising to see how easily people label someone (whom they don't even know well) and attribute all these negative characteristics to, based on just one comment made by the person. How many 18-years olds have you seen who never make blunders and say only mature things? Give him a break, please. He's still a naive teenager. He does not deserve to be called a bad person. He also does not deserve to be a target of harsh bashing simply because judges like his skating.