Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LA Times article

Custom Title

LA Times article

Here's an article from the Los Angeles Times on 10/3. The first part is about Timothy Goebel, but the more interesting news follows.

'Persistence Pays Off' - about Angela Nikodinov's return to competition this week at Finalndia Trophy and her new coach -- former Olympian Igor Pashkevich, following the suggestion of Alexei Yagudin.

Second, Olympic Champion Sarah Hughes has filed the paperwork to compete at 2003 Nationals. So has Michelle Kwan. (not surprised about Michelle, but somewhat surprised about Sarah)

Here's the link (you probably have to register, but it's free)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4405775.story

Here's wishing Angela the best of luck this week!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

If I read that article correctly, Sarah Hughes will show up at the US Nats! Good for her. She still has the yen to skate. Why not"

And Angela getting back in shape nicely with no trouble triples. Hey, with CoP scaring skaters with falls, Angela may do well if she gets to CoP competitions. Glad she's back and good luck at Finlandia.

Joe

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Best of luck to Angela this week at Finlandia. :D I am a bit surprised that Sarah is going to compete at Nats this year but hey, whatever makes her happy. Not surprised at all about Michelle though, LOL

Custom Title
    When did Angela leave Frank? I never thought he was right for her. He is too detached and aloof. Hope she does well this season.

Just because Sarah filed the papers to compete at US Nationals doesn't mean she will be there. I think she is just keeping her options open but I very much doubt she will compete. As for Michelle, I am wondering if she is weaning herself and her fans away from competition. She stated she wasn't sure if she was going to Nationals. That was after she signed the papers to compete. I hope I am wrong and that she does compete and that she wins the gold one more time. I am not ready to be weaned just yet. :\

Ladybug - That's a top headline news item about Michelle. May I ask your source for that?

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    An Associated Press article that ran today (7 Oct) about Kwan's & Kermit's Times Square billboard ended with

"Kwan is uncertain whether she'll defend her national and world titles this season. She finished second to Sasha Cohen Friday night in the season-opening International Skating Classic."

I found it in the Washington Post. (Requires registration.)

Custom Title
    At this same time last year, Kwan was also uncertain as to whether she would defend her US championship, or participate in Worlds.

Down With It
    Hmm...in the GS article (in another thread) it states that Hughes has retired from competitive skating (to do her college studies).

Tripping on the Podium
    Thanks for the LATimes link, hrmsk8ngnutt! Angela has always been one of my favorites and I'm so glad we'll get to see her this season.

Betraying my vast ignorance here, could someone please explain why a shoulder injury is so disabling to a singles skater? It's easy to see why this would be so in pairs and dance, but what singles elements would be compromised by a wonky shoulder?

Thanks!

Custom Title
    If I understand correctly, the jumps will be almost impossible if you have a shoulder injury because you have to be able to get the rotation in the air. The position of the arms kind of gives you a wind-up then a quick snap into the rotation. If you're shoulder is injured, you're less likely to snap into the rotation because it would hurt badly.

Feel free to correct. I could be wrong.

Well, I'm a little disappointed that I never got to see her practice at the El Segundo rink. I guess it was because she probably used to practice at some ungodly early morning hour. I still see Yebin Mok and Timothy Goebel there all the time.

Question

Originally posted by Joesitz
    And Angela getting back in shape nicely with no trouble triples. Hey, with CoP scaring skaters with falls, Angela may do well if she gets to CoP competitions. Glad she's back and good luck at Finlandia.

Joe

Let's hope so!

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by giseledepkat
    Betraying my vast ignorance here, could someone please explain why a shoulder injury is so disabling to a singles skater? It's easy to see why this would be so in pairs and dance, but what singles elements would be compromised by a wonky shoulder?
    Aswell as the jump aspect, the arms and shoulders are also used for practically everything. Not explicitly, like a pairs skater, but you have to learn to position and hold every part of your body in the right way in order to be properly balanced and in control, which takes strength etc. An injured shoulder will mean someone has pain when they move it, and may also give them a loss of range of movement (e.g. a less flexible joint). The arms (and shoulders) are used during spins and spin entries, checking turns, checking rotation, being totally balanced, etc.

Custom Title
    Thanks hrmsk8ngnutt,

Here's my thoughts...

Angela N., follow your dreams Angela & good luck at Finlandia! (:^)

Michelle K., here's to your winning streak continuing at Nationals, of which I have no doubt. *pops cork* (:^D

Sarah H., do what ya wanna do, you deserve it, but I hope that you continue on with your education at Yale and become the doctor you want to be.

***Note: funny, I had a dream about you the other night, which came as quite a surprise b/c I think I've only dreamed about you once and that was in November of 2001 ~ your winning the Olympics et al. Anyhow, to cut a long story short, you were (oddly enough) the first famous female athlete to take to space (aka astronaut). Weird, but very very nice. (;^)***

Peace & Love, Nadine

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and
    this centre observe degree, priority and place...
    How could...
    the primogenity and due of birth
    prerogative of age, crowns, sceptres, laurels
    But by degree, stand in authentic place?
    Take but degree away, untune that string,
    And, hark, what discord follows!!!" - Ulysses

Custom Title
    Go Sarah! Go Sarah! Go Sarah!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast