Ladies' LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

R.D.

Record Breaker
Have you seen the one of Sasha's Dark Eyes where she lands and smashes through the ice? Funny video editing but really, come on now.

Oh yeah, I remember that :rofl: I don't care- even if you're her biggest fan, you gotta admit... that was funny. (and very well done, too)

Red Dog, Michelle skated at a time when things like underrotations etc didn't matter. One hill of beans. I have no doubt that if things were important in Michelle's day that videos about Tara's underrotations and flutzs would be all over the internet. And Tara fans would have videos of Michelle. Etc.

No, they only resorted to name calling and made Tara Lipinski the 2nd most villainess female skater in the history of the sport. The first being Tonya Harding of course.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever felt more pity for a skater than I have for Tara. Monkey face, chipmunk, piece of garbage, Satan, death (for real, I've heard people call her Death)... the list goes on.

You know what, that's a good point. The resources didn't exist back then.

I never understood why Lipinski got so much grief from the fans. Tonya I can understand, of course, but Tara didn't do anything even close to that magnitude.

Sarah Hughes wasn't immune, either. I distinctly remember some fans calling her fat, etc. while she was touring on SOI back in '05. Then again, there were also rumors that she wasn't a nice person (I don't know how true those are). I don't think this can be blamed entirely on Kwaniacs, though.

These Yu Na people are seriously annoying me to no end, though. I mean, get real. SHE'S NOT EVEN COMPETING HERE!!! Seems to me as if they suddenly feel threatened now that Asada has joined Kim in the 200+ group, and are out to take Asada down however they can. Kind of comical that they're choosing to pick apart her 3A rather than other things that I won't name (don't want to give them ideas!!)

At least once Kim retires, hopefully the bots follow. :yes:

Last edited:
I never understood why Lipinski got so much grief from the fans.

Well, it cuts both ways. Did you ever visit TaraWorld back in the day? It was the only skating fan site where you could read posts like, "Kill the Gook."

Andalusia

Final Flight
Well, it cuts both ways. Did you ever visit TaraWorld back in the day? It was the only skating fan site where you could read posts like, "Kill the Gook."

Ugh. Way to go - demonstrate your ignorance, prejudice, and offend Chinese and Koreans all in one go.

To be frank, Tara always annoyed the heck out of me, and it had nothing to do with her beating MK in 1998. If Chen Lu had beaten Michelle with a good skate, for example, I'd have been fine with it, and I understood completely when Sarah beat Michelle in 2002 because Sarah had clearly outskated her. I was always turned off by Tara because she seemed bratty off-ice and on - I could never stand that childish, "I'll skate to Anne of Green Gables music" princessy style in skaters. It's fine when you can be a graceful and elegant princess like Zhang and Cohen who are capable of exquisite spins and spirals, but Tara had none of that, and the jumps she did do were executed with poor technique and were miniscule enough to rival Yamaguchi's.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog, Michelle skated at a time when things like underrotations etc didn't matter.

maybe not to the judges... but the fans whined about it a lot... when the skater kicked their favorite's butt anyway... Sarah and Tara got hit hard on the boards (including GS) with their flutzing and underrotation and poor technique all around. the 6.0 system wasn't immune to bickering.

shine

Record Breaker
TrueAndJutice, I think you should understand why your posts on this thread are being met with ridicule and dismissal. There are two reasons.

First, you have not shown any interest in figure skating except repetitiously to play on a one-stringed harp about Mao Asada's Axel jump, in an effort to annoy other members of this forum. This is trolling. It is a breach of Internet courtesy and is expressly forbidden by the Golden Skate posting guidelines.

Second, the makers of the videos that you are linking to, although they know how to edit video, do not know anything about figure skating. If you are acquainted with these film-makers personally, I urge you to tell them to go to a skating rink and sign up for some lessons. There they will learn proper technique for the Axel jump.
Amen. Thank you.

While I'm sure a lot of effort was put into making those "analysis videos", the makers of those videos always struck me as people that knew nothing about skating and have recently become obsessed with the rise of Yuna Kim. They simply have no respect for figure skating the sport, which has had a long and proud history way before their heroine ever even came along.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Yu Na stays in long enough, she might help many of her own fans grow to like other skaters. Similar to what Kwan did here in NA.

I came along in 2002 (after SLC) and this was a time where there were ENTIRE messageboards dedicated to ranting and bashing other skaters. A time when ezboard reigned supreme in the online skating world (and GS itself was an ezboard as well :) )The last of those boards seemed to bite the dust around late 2005, just before the last Olympic season began. Discussions turned into arguments and got heated and heavy. Insults were thrown about.

In fact, the past two seasons were the most at-ease I've ever seen GS and other boards...all the skaters who seemed to really divide fans left (Kwan, Cohen, S. Hughes, Slute, etc.). This season some of that bickering seems to have re-surfaced in the form of you-know-what.

And you even see remnants of this in Cohen's comeback thread...although when I joined, the majority of active posters did not like her- now it just reallly blows my mind how many people defend her now. Comments that would have gotten "ITA" or "Well said" in 2003 now get "go away, you're delusional" in 2009.

I came along in 2002 (after SLC) and this was a time where there were ENTIRE messageboards dedicated to ranting and bashing other skaters...

Although, in fairness, it should be mentioned that Ihatemichellekwan.com had only four members. :rofl:

Edited to add: Not to be confused with the ever popular Ihatemichellekwan.blogspot.com. :cool:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
MM, I'm referring to general websites where "anything went". For example, Free Skate World had a "free speech" subforum, and at Pain In The Ice you could freely bash both fellow posters and skaters. Membership at both forums was in the hundreds. They served their purpose though- you could vent and express yourself without any barriers. There were others, but at a lot of them you had these girls going crazy over some of the male competitors and it drove me insane.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
On a side note, back in the very early days of the internet – we’re talking ’95 or ’96 here, there was this joke that explained just what it was. As best I can recall, it went something like ............

The internet is a place where gay men - who pretend to women - can converse for hours upon hours ............

................ with lesbians who pretend to be men !! :rofl: :laugh:

wishmaker

Rinkside
On a side note, back in the very early days of the internet – we’re talking ’95 or ’96 here, there was this joke that explained just what it was. As best I can recall, it went something like ............

The internet is a place where gay men - who pretend to women - can converse for hours upon hours ............

................ with lesbians who pretend to be men !! :rofl: :laugh:

Really?

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Oh yeah, I remember that :rofl: I don't care- even if you're her biggest fan, you gotta admit... that was funny. (and very well done, too)

These Yu Na people are seriously annoying me to no end, though. I mean, get real. SHE'S NOT EVEN COMPETING HERE!!! Seems to me as if they suddenly feel threatened now that Asada has joined Kim in the 200+ group, and are out to take Asada down however they can. Kind of comical that they're choosing to pick apart her 3A rather than other things that I won't name (don't want to give them ideas!!)

At least once Kim retires, hopefully the bots follow. :yes:

I think they might be. Now that Asada just crack the 75+ score for SP and joined the 200+ mark. Granted the PCS mark at world are a little inflated and had Kim received usual PCS mark around 63-64 range both score will be scary close, at least total combine score wise.
Kim 76+ SP, Asada 75+ SP
Kim 133+ LP, Asada 133+ LP

I wonder how escalated the bots war will be once the Vancouver is near.