Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dube and Davison injured at WTT

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    There is a video, at least for the time being. It didn't look as bad as I thought it would (though obviously scary) because she seemed to fall on him first rather than straight onto the ice.*

I hope Jessica and Bryce can get past this and regain their on-ice chemistry.

* ETA: after looking at it again, I think I was wrong, she did fall right to the ice, and hit it pretty hard. The camera angle makes it hard to tell. It doesn't look as bad as the 2007 accident, though.
    Poor girl. :(

It didn't look as bad as I thought it would be - thankfully, she didn't crash head first onto the ice. It looked like Bryce's body helped to break the fall, and her legs absorbed the brunt of the impact. Really awful to see her crying on the ice like that...she seemed more traumatized than hurt. Also good to see the audience behaving so respectfully and all the lights dimming, instead of shining the spotlight on them or anything like that.

I've never seen this pair before, so I don't know if their twists are usually on the lower side, but luckily in this case it wasn't as high as the twists of some of the Russians or Chinese.

Medalist
    I saw no signs of a blackout on his part.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I saw no signs of a blackout on his part.
    She appears to have hit him in the head with her elbow. Even if that caused just a split second of vision problems, it could have affected his ability to catch her. But I think the main issue was that she only got 2.5 times around, which makes it much harder on his part to get her down smoothly. Their technique just isn't stellar on this element. Who knows why they were even trying it in an exhibition.

Custom Title
    I've heard of unlucky people, but my G-d, this girl is cursed...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Why were Jessica and Bryce doing a 3 twist in a gala anyway. They obvoulsly are not comfortable doing it or they would put it in their competitive programs. Galas are supposed to be fun and easy for the skaters.

I wonder if the lighting had anything to do with it. Yes, seasoned skaters get use to it but still...I'd want the lights on for a trick like that.

Rogue Leader
    They were likely trying it to get more mileage on the triple twist, since it needs work.

I wondered about the spotlight being turned off. An accident certainly isn't a show, but can skaters see particularly well on the ice if there are no spotlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
    I wondered about the spotlight being turned off. An accident certainly isn't a show, but can skaters see particularly well on the ice if there are no spotlights?
    I agree, I thought they should have turned on the arena lights instead of having them fumble around in the dark.

Jessica seems to be a terribly unlucky lady.

Banned
    just retire already.

Custom Title
    Hmm, the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this a day or two ago was accidents don't just happen, not really, it's just so enigmatic.

I wish them both well, they (& the Germans) were the only pairs I enjoyed watching at 2009 Worlds.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    I think this is allowed -- Dave Carmichael has a photo of Jessica falling and hitting Bryce in the eye with her elbow. From the positionning in the photo, it seems like the twist was missing a half rotation and hopefully his body slowed her fall, although, from the video, her legs his the ice first but then she broke at the waist and her forehead hit the ice before the rest of her upper body.

Wishing them the best in the season to come,

-kypma

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    ^ Thanks for the photo. With that much of a rotation missing, it's no wonder an accident happened. Bryce was pretty lucky to have escaped uninjured. Her elbow could have hit him really hard in the face. Maybe they'll be going back to the double twist next season. Even though the triple is worth slightly more, they can do the double better and it's much less risky.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3