Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Dube and Davison injured at WTT

  1. #16
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Figure skater Dube avoids another serious injury after major fall

    (Posted: April 19, 2009, 7:08 PM by Noah Love)

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    Poore Jess... I hope she will not skate with him anymore.
    You talk - they trust to each other, but how she could trust him if he drop her from the lift, this accident during soin and now - with twist. I think patner must be more carefull with his girl.
    Yeah let me slam you in the eye and see how well you can lift something while you are blacking out. Good job.

  3. #18
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    I've always found this pair scary because of some basic (lack of proper) technique issues. If I see a thread title "pairs accident" I would automatically think of them.

    Also, apparently there are interpersonal trust issues as well (short hearsay version: they were a couple, split, she started dating a mutal friend and he reacted badly).

    poor technique + lack of trust = disaster waiting to happen

    I think they should call it a day and find new partners (and he needs to strenghthen up somewhat and they both need work on basic pairs technique).

  4. #19
    Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    a tiny island
    Posts
    690
    ^ If there really is a rift, maybe they should split up. But if they want to compete in Vancouver, I doubt that is an option for now.

    Did anyone see a video of the accident? The news reports all say she fell while they were doing a triple twist during the Gala, but don't they usually perform a triple twist for competitions and only a double twist for exhibitions?

  5. #20
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,115
    Yes, I saw it. It was quite eerie. The arena was very dark, and they were skating to some song which starts out, "When you try your best, but you don't succeed" The twist was the first real trick in the program. It was either a severely over rotated double or a severely underrotated triple.

  6. #21
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,960
    Pairs skating is not an activity that tolerates lapses in concentration or inattention to detail. I hope they will think twice before deciding on their future.

  7. #22
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about this team saying they lack trust, concentration, and that they should switch partners. There is no way with Vancouver coming up that they are suddenly going to decide they do not trust each other and stop skating.

    Yes it was a bad fall...I believe it was partly from the spotlight as they do not usually do a twist in their exhibition programs. They have received counselling in the past after their other accident and if they can come back from that and win a World Bronze medal the very next year I don't think anyone should be questioning their strength or trust in each other.

  8. #23
    Custom Title dwiggin3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, I saw it. It was quite eerie. The arena was very dark, and they were skating to some song which starts out, "When you try your best, but you don't succeed" The twist was the first real trick in the program. It was either a severely over rotated double or a severely underrotated triple.
    Is there a video of this? I'm having a hard time imagining how it happened.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about this team saying they lack trust, concentration, and that they should switch partners. There is no way with Vancouver coming up that they are suddenly going to decide they do not trust each other and stop skating.

    Yes it was a bad fall...I believe it was partly from the spotlight as they do not usually do a twist in their exhibition programs. They have received counselling in the past after their other accident and if they can come back from that and win a World Bronze medal the very next year I don't think anyone should be questioning their strength or trust in each other.
    There has been a major change in their personal relationship since their "other accident" and their World bronze. Their on-ice "chemistry", perhaps their greatest asset, hasn't been in evidence this season and that was reflected in their results.

    Their personal issues are a distraction and may contribute to an eroded sense of trust between them, and that can lead to accidents. That is not to suggest that they should break up, but they do need to find a way to establish a different type of relationship that will work FOR them, not against them. Easier said than done, perhaps, but not impossible. Other pairs who were in relationships, broke up but went on to great success have done it: Steuer/Woetzel, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Bechke/Petrov, to name just a few.

  10. #25
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    Is there a video of this? I'm having a hard time imagining how it happened.
    There is a video, at least for the time being. It didn't look as bad as I thought it would (though obviously scary) because she seemed to fall on him first rather than straight onto the ice.*

    I hope Jessica and Bryce can get past this and regain their on-ice chemistry.

    * ETA: after looking at it again, I think I was wrong, she did fall right to the ice, and hit it pretty hard. The camera angle makes it hard to tell. It doesn't look as bad as the 2007 accident, though.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 04-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.

  11. #26
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I've always found this pair scary because of some basic (lack of proper) technique issues. If I see a thread title "pairs accident" I would automatically think of them.

    Also, apparently there are interpersonal trust issues as well (short hearsay version: they were a couple, split, she started dating a mutal friend and he reacted badly).

    poor technique + lack of trust = disaster waiting to happen

    I think they should call it a day and find new partners (and he needs to strenghthen up somewhat and they both need work on basic pairs technique).
    I agree. Like Sale and Pellitier you could tell when they were having a good day with thier realtionship and when they were not. I never knew anything about thier personal lives, but if what you say is true, it coudl explain how wooden they have looked towards eachother this past year. I i think that thier problem lie in messing up element, but chemistry. the chinese have won world titles/medals without any cheamisty whatsover. If they get the triples down and try the 3 twist in competition they could greatly improvet thier world standing.

  12. #27
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    There has been a major change in their personal relationship since their "other accident" and their World bronze. Their on-ice "chemistry", perhaps their greatest asset, hasn't been in evidence this season and that was reflected in their results.
    I think their lack of chemistry has been partly due to their long program this year which did not play to their strengths. It was also reported that they had worked on their personal relationship right before Canadians and they had a really wonderful skate there. If you watch their 4CC exhibition you can see their chemistry emerge. It's not as if they are ignoring things they need to work on, and a relationship can't be changed over night. I really do not think this fall has anything to do with their relationship nor will it hamper it in the future.

  13. #28
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Also, apparently there are interpersonal trust issues as well (short hearsay version: they were a couple, split, she started dating a mutal friend and he reacted badly).
    I am just so nosey but who's the mutual friend? Someone told me that she was dating Scott Moir!!

  14. #29
    Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I am just so nosey but who's the mutual friend? Someone told me that she was dating Scott Moir!!
    She still is, I believe Since last season, if I'm not mistaken. That being said, I hope Jessica and Bryce can fully recover from this, because when they're "on", they're great to watch, and the battle for the 2 Olympics spots in pairs next year will hopefully make our top 3 pairs that much better...

    -Kypma

    PS totally superficial comment, but Jessica looks gorgeous with her hair down! She should do that more often... although loose hair is probably not great for competition.
    Last edited by Kypma; 04-20-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: adding the PS part :)

  15. #30
    Custom Title LeCygne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    She still is, I believe Since last season, if I'm not mistaken.
    What, really? I think Tessa and Scott would be great together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •