Britain's Got Talent - Susan Boyle | Golden Skate

Britain's Got Talent - Susan Boyle

The strange thing to me about this news story is this. If you think about it, why should we be surprised that this lady can sing well? Because she is not very pretty? What does that have to do with having a pleasant singing voice?

I get a kick out of shows like American Idol, because I can go to any church in Detroit on any Sunday and hear way better singing. :yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The strange thing to me about this news story is this. If you think about it, why should we be surprised that this lady can sing well? Because she is not very pretty? What does that have to do with having a pleasant singing voice?

I get a kick out of shows like American Idol, because I can go to any church in Detroit on any Sunday and hear way better singing. :yes:

I think the point was that they (the judges) were not expecting such an unpolished singer to have such great pipes. It took them by storm. Some people have natural talent. It will be interesting to see what she sings next - or was it just a "one hit wonder?"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Two points:

Mathman, by some straaannnge coincidence, Susan Boyle does sing in her church. :laugh:

Lad: she's already a two hit wonder. Her version of Cry Me a River that was on the charity fund raising record 10 years ago is also excellent.

I loved this segment.

Apparently the judges have apologized for prejuding her, BTW.
There are a number of new clips of appearances by Susan on various shows in this link as well:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/17/earlyshow/leisure/music/main4951767.shtml

Curiously enough, they have not apologized for offensively telling how plain she is repeatedly. (And they do it again in the apology :rolleyes: )

Apparently, Patti LuPone who first sung I Dreamed a Dream called in to one of the shows Susan was on and told her how much she liked Susan's rendition.

antmanb

Record Breaker
The thing that bugs me about this programme is that the MO appears to be - let's be shocked that someone who is unnattractive can sing, and then let them win this programme. Paul Potts and this lady can sing, of course they can, but are they the best at singing? Certainly not.

We already have Simon Cowell's X factor for the singing contest so why, again have singers leaping to the fore in this "talent" contest? I had rather hoped for more of an "old school" variety performance type show that encompassed everything but singing!

As great as the stories are, and these things are always won on the story rather than the talent, I just dno't think her voice is as great as it's being out to be. But i felt the same about Paul Potts.

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Math, I totally agree with you. I was on another message board and the thread was listed as ....Don't judge....just listen. I asked the lady what I wasn't supposed to judge?? She didn't answer so I asked again....her response....I don't know.

It just amazes me in this day & age that people think you have to be gorgeous or you can't sing???

Vincero

Rinkside
What surprises me most isn't about the whole "shock at plain lady being able to sing" thing. The fact is, it's happened before. There was Paul Potts. So why is everyone still so surprised when another "plain-looking" person being able to sing well. It's basically a repeat of the story, so I have no idea what the fuss is about.

Oh well, it is television I guess.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
It's not so much her unattractiveness that made people sceptic about her being able to sing - it's her general allure. When she came on stage and got a bit muddled up in explaing where she lives, her speaking voice would never in a million years let anybody guess that she's got an amazing voice and she was so sure of herself - most people who are sure of themselves on these kind of shows generally aren't very good singers, often they're dreadful. When you see her, you think that maybe she doesn't sing too bad, but that she's probably just an ok karaoke singer.

Wrlmy

Medalist
The thing that bugs me about this programme is that the MO appears to be - let's be shocked that someone who is unnattractive can sing, and then let them win this programme. Paul Potts and this lady can sing, of course they can, but are they the best at singing? Certainly not.

We already have Simon Cowell's X factor for the singing contest so why, again have singers leaping to the fore in this "talent" contest? I had rather hoped for more of an "old school" variety performance type show that encompassed everything but singing!

As great as the stories are, and these things are always won on the story rather than the talent, I just dno't think her voice is as great as it's being out to be. But i felt the same about Paul Potts.

Ant

I see where you're coming from. The audience as well as the judges were so prepared to be swept away. Even the snooty faces some ladies in the audience were giving before Susan sang seemed extremely staged. IMO it's more about Susan's charm and sassiness than her voice.
But watching the show, I couldn't help but thinking 'man, it would be awesome to live in the UK!':rock:

Johar

Medalist
What surprises me most isn't about the whole "shock at plain lady being able to sing" thing. The fact is, it's happened before. There was Paul Potts. So why is everyone still so surprised when another "plain-looking" person being able to sing well. It's basically a repeat of the story, so I have no idea what the fuss is about.

Oh well, it is television I guess.

Plain or homely people are perceived to be lacking in talent and intelligence. Which is why I am so glad Susan is an amazing singer. Take that, pretty people!

John King

Final Flight
Scotland: If you got the guts, we have the haggis. Come on, don't be sheepish!

I guess you can say the proof is in the pudding, 100 million hits on YouTube? Obviously something about her intrigued people so much that without a PR agent, she became the most talked about contestant ever!