Jon & Kate +8 | Golden Skate

Jon & Kate +8

Jhar55

Medalist
Does any one else watch this show? If so what are your thoughts? Are the exploating their children by putting them out there the way they are. I've watched and still do with mix thoughts. Kate is so mean to her husband the way she puts him down, slaps him across the face, screams at him out in public (the toys r us show). The tups are almost or are 5 still wearing bibs sitting in high chairs and still useing sippy cups. You never see them feeding the kids a hot meal, it's always something served on a paper plate. Few crackers, little bit of fruit, yogart and a box of juice.They had to move because there home wasn't big enough (yeah right). You no longer see any of the friends / family what there was on the shows anymore, anymore it seems to be all about Kate. Is it just me or is she just down out hateful. IMO these people are out for the almighty dollar and anything esle they can get for FREE on the backs for their children....Yes some may agree and some not but this is just my thoughts....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't watch the show, but that's because the whole premise sounds exploitative (is that a word???) to me. I have enough train wreck in my own life. I like something a little more new-to-me and interesting than somebody else's train wreck when I watch TV.

However, from observation of other reality shows, they often focus on the 'cast member' who is the most unpleasant because people seem to find a villain more interesting and tune in to see what dreadful thing they are going to do now. Sounds like Kate is this show's Omarosa

http://www.omarosa.com/

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't think they would have enough money if they didn't. I can see all sides. I agree Kate is a little too cross. BUT I love the show. Watch all I can. Those kids are so adorable. I would rather Kate would be a little less cross but it's what you get.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I love watching the show and find it fascinating how this family manages to make it work. I don't think anyone has the right to judge Kate and the way she raises her family. How many families are there that have twins and then sextuplets? What's wrong with serving children on paper plates? Maybe not the most environmentally friendly way of serving food, but a heck of a lot easier on Kate. Maybe Kate doesn't always speak to her husband in the kindest ways but I don't think she's the only wife to have ever yelled at her husband. I currently work as a live-in nanny and imo, the Gosselins are more of a family than the family I work for. The Gosselins sit down at the table to eat dinner and spend time together. I wish the family of four I work for would do as much!

antmanb

Record Breaker
I love watching the show and find it fascinating how this family manages to make it work. I don't think anyone has the right to judge Kate and the way she raises her family. How many families are there that have twins and then sextuplets? What's wrong with serving children on paper plates? Maybe not the most environmentally friendly way of serving food, but a heck of a lot easier on Kate. Maybe Kate doesn't always speak to her husband in the kindest ways but I don't think she's the only wife to have ever yelled at her husband. I currently work as a live-in nanny and imo, the Gosselins are more of a family than the family I work for. The Gosselins sit down at the table to eat dinner and spend time together. I wish the family of four I work for would do as much!

Well being hugely judgmental about all reality TV I think any parent who's happy to prostitute their family for the $$s and fame brings the judgment down on themselves. And if they're even happier that they get greater fame and $$s for being nasty and horrible then that's pretty much all i need to know.

Ant

skatingbc

Final Flight
Well being hugely judgmental about all reality TV I think any parent who's happy to prostitute their family for the $$s and fame brings the judgment down on themselves. And if they're even happier that they get greater fame and $$s for being nasty and horrible then that's pretty much all i need to know.

Ant

In my opinion, she's not any more horrible than any other housewife I've met and seen in action. I think people choose to make her out to be a villain to make themselves feel better.

dannyascii

On the Ice
In my opinion, she's not any more horrible than any other housewife I've met and seen in action. I think people choose to make her out to be a villain to make themselves feel better.
I don't know about that. Granted, Kate is under a good deal of stress, and it is very hard to empathize or understand her feelings, but at the same time, so is Jon, and he comes across as a genuinely good, caring person. I mean, what if the roles were reversed. If Jon went around verbally and physically degrading his wife like Kate does to him on the show, there would be outrage. I used to love the show but lately, it's just difficult for me to watch because Kate is just so downright mean all the time.
I mean, I read this and was originally somewhat shocked, but then I realized it just kinda validates Kate's behavior on the show.
I think the Gosselins do a great job in their situation. It's just that some of Kate's cringe-worthy antics have made me much less of a fan of the show.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
I don't know about that. Granted, Kate is under a good deal of stress, and it is very hard to empathize or understand her feelings, but at the same time, so is Jon, and he comes across as a genuinely good, caring person. I mean, what if the roles were reversed. If Jon went around verbally and physically degrading his wife like Kate does to him on the show, there would be outrage. I used to love the show but lately, it's just difficult for me to watch because Kate is just so downright mean all the time.
I mean, I read this and was originally somewhat shocked, but then I realized it just kinda validates Kate's behavior on the show.
I think the Gosselins do a great job in their situation. It's just that some of Kate's cringe-worthy antics have made me much less of a fan of the show.

I have a lot of experience working with all sorts of different families as I have worked as a live-in nanny around the world for a couple of years. All I can say is Kate is really not much different from the housewives I have worked for, except that she is not nearly as bad as some! The way some of these women talked about their husbands to their own children was downright shocking. I'm not trying to excuse Kate's behaviour. Honestly though, she's a lot better than a lot of women, especially given her circumstances!

There are a lot of positives going on in that house as well. I wish people wouldn't focus on the negatives.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
The way some of these women talked about their husbands to their own children was downright shocking.

And that is exactly why I would never marry an American woman. They have been raised in a society that has taught them it's normal to abuse men. It's on the media 24/7. I really have no hope for the future of this country.

As for TLC, I'm sad about how far downhill it has gone as well. Used to be great wholesome shows like Trading Spaces and While You Were Out, really good personalities and fun to watch. Then WYWO died, TS died, then it came back but it wasn't the same. In fact, one episode (the last one I ever watched) I heard Paige Davis saying some really anti-male stuff and I was like Paige?? Not you too! Also, pretty much every time I flip past TLC now it's just "little people" or someone with 200 pound tumors on their head, or flesh eating disease. Blech.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight
And that is exactly why I would never touch an American woman. They have been raised in a society that has taught them it's normal to abuse men. It's on the media 24/7. I really have no hope for the future of this country.

I have never nannied in the States and I don't intend to ever start!

ETA: I miss the old TS!

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Well thanks for your comments. I also use to love the show and yes I still do watch. Ans yes theirs nothing wrong with using paper plates I have used them also but not daily. As for Aunt Jodi why shes no longer on the show TLC wanted to pay her and Kate said NO, there for Aunt Jodi is no gone never to be seen again along with rest of the family / friends. Also it's not my life and shouldn't care but was just mostly wanting opions on what others thought.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
We have been watching that for a while and recently stopped. It was a nice thing to see when we had one REALLY GOOD baby and they had 8 regardless of behavior. Kate reminded me far far far too much of myself.

It left me with different kind of job, different type of life.

The show wore its welcome in this household. It was nice at first and now we have moved on.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I really doubt Canadian women are less man-hating, but Sarah McLachlan seems nice enough so... :laugh:

Again, never been a nanny in my home country. I have been a nanny all over Europe though. I don't think the "man-hating" is confined to one country. And honestly, some of these women have good reason to hate their husbands!

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Again, never been a nanny in my home country. I have been a nanny all over Europe though. I don't think the "man-hating" is confined to one country. And honestly, some of these women have good reason to hate their husbands!

Maybe, but why stay in a relationship with someone you hate and constantly complain about, why have kids with them and especially why have EIGHT kids with them? Man.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I watched a couple of episodes back when I was pregnant and watched anything and everything. Besides having a problem with reality TV in general and reality TV about children in particular, I have a problem with this show because it makes it seem OK to have sextuplets. It is not! Most Western countries will not even implant that many embryos! I appreciate this being legal in the US because it is often the only way for some women to get that one or two kids they dream of, but I believe that this type of a procedure should only be done if the couple is willing to undergo reduction if the number of embryos exceeds four or so. I understand that reduction is against moral and ethical believes of many people, and while I respect this, I believe they should not have gone for this type of controversial treatment in the first place. Not only does this kind of pregnancy and labor put inordinate strain on public resources (costing literally millions and increasing pressure to outlaw the procedure), it puts the fetuses at a very high risk for various developmental disabilities and health risks ranging from mild to life threatening. As those kids are, indeed, very cute, it makes it seem just so normal when in reality it is anything but.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wouldn't have my granddaughter if if weren't for in vitro fertilization. :love::love:

I have never asked my daughter in law how many embryos they used, though. Nor will I. :yes:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I wouldn't have my granddaughter if if weren't for in vitro fertilization. :love::love:

I have never asked my daughter in law how many embryos they used, though. Nor will I. :yes:
Doris, as I've said I am not against implanting multiples. In fact, I have a friend who's had two failed IVF's. Normally, no more than 3 are performed. This was her last chance; if it failed, she'd have gone for surrogacy; failing that, she'd adopt (not that this would be a disaster, but she really wanted to have her baby). Luckily, in the US implanting many embryos is legal; she asked for that on her third IVF (with the understanding that she'd reduce if there were more than 2), and now she's a mom to two wonderful little 3-month-old boys. I just think this decision should be taken responsibly.

BTW, did you know that IVF was originally created to overcome male infertility? The idea is that you can create the embryo this way even if the man has a very low sperm count. Helping with female infertility was just a nice bonus :thumbsup:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just recently read a story on the web about Jon being photoed out on the town drunk with a female friend while Kate was out of town promoting a book.......dumb on his part if the facts are accurate...........42

heyang

Record Breaker
Just recently read a story on the web about Jon being photoed out on the town drunk with a female friend while Kate was out of town promoting a book.......dumb on his part if the facts are accurate...........42

Jon claimed that she was just a friend and he was too drunk to drive. THerefore, the reason for her driving him.

Regardless, it is odd for a married man & father of 8 to be out on the town while his wife is out of town.

I've never watched this show. I do think that it started with the best of intentions. The family likely did it for the money since very few people make enough money to either support 10 people on 1 salary or even enough to put 8 kids into day care while both parents work.

From stories I've read recently, Kate is just totally driven by the show and their celebrity now. Even without the show, I'd imagine that it's hard for a couple to maintain their relationship successfully with 8 kids to care for. That's usually when one person ends up straying - not that it's right, but it is a symptom of problems and they had better decide to do what's best for their family and get some help. I wouldn't blame the TV show for doing this either.