Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jon & Kate +8

I watched a couple of episodes back when I was pregnant and watched anything and everything. Besides having a problem with reality TV in general and reality TV about children in particular, I have a problem with this show because it makes it seem OK to have sextuplets. It is not! Most Western countries will not even implant that many embryos! I appreciate this being legal in the US because it is often the only way for some women to get that one or two kids they dream of, but I believe that this type of a procedure should only be done if the couple is willing to undergo reduction if the number of embryos exceeds four or so. I understand that reduction is against moral and ethical believes of many people, and while I respect this, I believe they should not have gone for this type of controversial treatment in the first place. Not only does this kind of pregnancy and labor put inordinate strain on public resources (costing literally millions and increasing pressure to outlaw the procedure), it puts the fetuses at a very high risk for various developmental disabilities and health risks ranging from mild to life threatening. As those kids are, indeed, very cute, it makes it seem just so normal when in reality it is anything but.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I wouldn't have my granddaughter if if weren't for in vitro fertilization.

I have never asked my daughter in law how many embryos they used, though. Nor will I.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I wouldn't have my granddaughter if if weren't for in vitro fertilization.

I have never asked my daughter in law how many embryos they used, though. Nor will I.
    Doris, as I've said I am not against implanting multiples. In fact, I have a friend who's had two failed IVF's. Normally, no more than 3 are performed. This was her last chance; if it failed, she'd have gone for surrogacy; failing that, she'd adopt (not that this would be a disaster, but she really wanted to have her baby). Luckily, in the US implanting many embryos is legal; she asked for that on her third IVF (with the understanding that she'd reduce if there were more than 2), and now she's a mom to two wonderful little 3-month-old boys. I just think this decision should be taken responsibly.

BTW, did you know that IVF was originally created to overcome male infertility? The idea is that you can create the embryo this way even if the man has a very low sperm count. Helping with female infertility was just a nice bonus

Just recently read a story on the web about Jon being photoed out on the town drunk with a female friend while Kate was out of town promoting a book.......dumb on his part if the facts are accurate...........42

Quote Originally Posted by show 42 View Post
    Just recently read a story on the web about Jon being photoed out on the town drunk with a female friend while Kate was out of town promoting a book.......dumb on his part if the facts are accurate...........42
    Jon claimed that she was just a friend and he was too drunk to drive. THerefore, the reason for her driving him.

Regardless, it is odd for a married man & father of 8 to be out on the town while his wife is out of town.

I've never watched this show. I do think that it started with the best of intentions. The family likely did it for the money since very few people make enough money to either support 10 people on 1 salary or even enough to put 8 kids into day care while both parents work.

From stories I've read recently, Kate is just totally driven by the show and their celebrity now. Even without the show, I'd imagine that it's hard for a couple to maintain their relationship successfully with 8 kids to care for. That's usually when one person ends up straying - not that it's right, but it is a symptom of problems and they had better decide to do what's best for their family and get some help. I wouldn't blame the TV show for doing this either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2