On the Road to Vancouver - Any new programs? | Golden Skate

On the Road to Vancouver - Any new programs?

We have just begun the 2010 Winter Olympic Season.

Some skaters and teams have done quite well with their 2009 programs. Should they change the choreography and music for the new season?

Should other skaters and teams definitely change them?

I think the GPs and GPF, plus the Euros and 4CC will be the best testing ground. It might even be good planning to work on two routines and chose the better of the two for the Olys. No?

Some skaters and teams must go through their individual Nationals. A view of their programs would be useful but not a definite factor for the podium in Vancouver. also the Federations have their say on who will represent their country

What to do in ten months regarding their programs?

LeCygne

Final Flight
I've also been wondering who might keep their programs from this year instead of changing.. I'm not sure training two long or two short programs would work, so I guess the way to go is to stick to what you know will work. Don't try something new or experiment with new styles, the Olympic year is not the time for that.

I could see Joannie sticking to her LP, which has served her well this season, but other than her, I don't really see anyone else sticking with their programs. I think Mao and Yu-na will both come up with something new. It seems like for ladies, what seems to work is a dynamic, upbeat SP (Danse Macabre, Spanish Gypsy) and a classic, perhaps slightly overused LP (Scheherazade, Romeo & Juliet, etc.) Skaters who've tried to do the opposite have not had much luck this season (Mao, Rachael, Caroline to an extent).

That being said, I think Mao should go with a tango (her EX music!! even the choreo by TAT is great) for the SP and return to her comfort zone of piano music (not necessarily Chopin) for the LP. I'd like Caroline to do a SP with flair as well, and then revert back to the princessy ballet music for the LP. I hope she doesn't use Lori Nichol again though.

For dance teams, I'd love to see Meryl & Charlie stick with Samson and Delilah, especially since they were performing it so well by the end of the season. I think Virtue & Moir should definitely choose something romantic and soft like Umbrellas of Cherbourg, since that's what they do best.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope no one repeats programs, particularly LPs. This is the Olympic season and the desire to create something new and dynamic to blow the judges away should be the thinking of the skaters, not another recycled program or style. A very important aspect of being a champion IMO is challenging yourself with new, versatile programs and music choices. Zhang was brought up as an example, but I think I'll gag if I see Caroline Zhang skate to another princessy ballet piece. I wish there would be a deduction that the judges were required to give to skaters who remain in their comfort zones year after year after year after year (for example, Brian's Matrix programs). This deduction probably does show up in the PCS marks by some judges. I recall some of the 2002 SLC pairs' judges saying they were put off by Sale/Pelletier's return to their Love Story LP that they revived from the 2000 season because it wasn't something new and challenging. This matters to the judges, and it should matter, IMO.

LeCygne

Final Flight
A very important aspect of being a champion IMO is challenging yourself with new, versatile programs and music choices. Zhang was brought up as an example, but I think I'll gag if I see Caroline Zhang skate to another princessy ballet piece.

I don't disagree with this statement. I would also like to see different programs from each skater season to season, but I just think the Olympic season is not the time to experiment. For now, skaters should not try to impress the judges by trying to show them how versatile they can be, but rather how well they can play to their own strengths. After all, how pathetic would it sound if you said you didn't win OGM because you were "trying something new"?

The Olympics (and the preparation leading up to it) is a time to do whatever you can to ensure yourself the highest results. It's great if the judges respond positively to a new direction, but if they don't? That's too big of a risk for an event that comes just once every four years. Virtue & Moir tried Pink Floyd this year, but it really wasn't them. Caroline tried big music with Sleeping Beauty, but it just didn't work. I'm love to see a transformation after Vancouver, but if soft ballet music is what will get her on the Olympic team, then I'm all for it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would not be surprised to see Evan keep one of his programs, perhaps the Bolero SP. Somebody said that Joannie might keep a program and I agree. She used Don Juan for two seasons, but since Concerto de Aranjez is rather similar to Don Juan, I see her chaging that and keeping Summertime.
I would like to see Tanith and Ben keep Tosca. They never really skated it perfectly and my the olympics they would be very comfortable with it. Tosca is for sure an olympic program (our reigning ice dance olympic champs skated to it. ) This would give them extra time to work on technique, compulories, and the OD.

Caroline really does have to branch out with her music choices. I am not saying she should skate to Metallica, but she needs stronger, un-ballet related music. Darker dress. I would love to see her in pants.
I see yu-na and Mao getting new programs, and i really hope Kostner gets a new LP that works. If she does that horrible concerto for 3 pianos again I will scream.

Virtue and Moir should for sure keep Pink Floyd. They could get huge scores with that program once they have sometime to really train it once Tessa feels 100% I really hope they do not change it to something that everybody else is doing. They are too good for that.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
I could see Joannie sticking to her LP, which has served her well this season

She has said in interviews that she is going to try two new programs but if the long program is not well received she knows she can go back to this one since she is very comfortable with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with!

I think Mao should go with a tango

Oh I hope not! Please no more tangos! :laugh:

For dance teams, I'd love to see Meryl & Charlie stick with Samson and Delilah, especially since they were performing it so well by the end of the season. I think Virtue & Moir should definitely choose something romantic and soft like Umbrellas of Cherbourg, since that's what they do best.

I loved Meryl and Charlie's FD this year so I would love if they would keep it too, I don't think it's very likley though. I want to see Tessa and Scott do something more romantic and captivating as well!

Andalusia

Final Flight
I think all the top female skaters (save Yu-Na and Joannie because their technique is sound) need to give some focus to expressing and emoting in their programs, to really selling them. I know they're concentrating on landing their 3As, getting enough rotations and what not, but I think they'll have to work on their expression, especially in an Olympic year, if they want to gain favour with the judges. Michelle was clean at the Olympics in 1998, but she skated more reservedly than she had at Nats and look what happened. OTOH, Tara went all out in the 'selling it' department.

I'm sure one of the reasons why Yu-Na's programs were so well-received this year was because she really sold them - I mean, just look at her expression at the end of that SP!

LeCygne

Final Flight
Caroline really does have to branch out with her music choices. I am not saying she should skate to Metallica, but she needs stronger, un-ballet related music. Darker dress.

I would like to see Tanith and Ben keep Tosca. They never really skated it perfectly and my the olympics they would be very comfortable with it. Tosca is for sure an olympic program (our reigning ice dance olympic champs skated to it. ) This would give them extra time to work on technique, compulories, and the OD.

Virtue and Moir should for sure keep Pink Floyd. They could get huge scores with that program once they have sometime to really train it once Tessa feels 100% I really hope they do not change it to something that everybody else is doing. They are too good for that.

Darker dress for Caroline, I agree. Pants, haha not likely.

I liked Tosca actually. A lot of people found that the heavy dramatic aspect didn't suit Tanith & Ben, but I didn't think so. I wouldn't be unhappy if they decided to continue with it.

Hmm, I didn't really like Pink Floyd too much. I think the all black costumes turned me off even more... I appreciate the attempt at a more modern look, but ehh, this just didn't float my boat.

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Kimmie is considering to keep her Un Ange Passe. - Love the music but Christ, Lori Nichol, where be the choreography at?

Theoritically Yu-Na's programs could have been her Olympic programs. I think this seasons' programs, in terms of content and structure, were her best given her frequent health issues. If it were up to me, I'd like to see her poker-face Lark Ascending again.

I'd love to see Joannie skate to another spanish piece of music. (Here's to hoping for some Gipsy Kings!!) If she tries Aranjuez again, I'd say tack a double toe on her flip and drop the axel-sequence to just one axel. She gain more from a 3-2. Everything else should stay the same because everything else is according to the timing of the music.

I know the Masquerade waltz was a flop for many skating fans (imho, I loved the music!) but maybe Mao can try the Sentimental waltz from Doga or the music from the Avrora film (check out Anna Bessonova's 2008 hoop music).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to see Joannie skate to another spanish piece of music. (Here's to hoping for some Gipsy Kings!!) If she tries Aranjuez again, I'd say tack a double toe on her flip and drop the axel-sequence to just one axel. She gain more from a 3-2. Everything else should stay the same because everything else is according to the timing of the music.

If Joannie were to keep Aranjuez, I hope she moves all of her combination jump passes to the post 2-minute mark and does two Lutzes and two flips. Maybe add the 2Axel+3toe she was successfully practicing at the World Championships.

Her LP layout could be:
3Lutz
3flip
3loop
x3Lutz+2toe+2loop
x2Axel+3toe
x3flip+2toe
x3Salchow

gio

Medalist
Oh, there is a tango mania now in skating. I've never seen so many tangos done by single skaters (of course in Ice Dance there were always tango programs). Just try to count them for this season and you will be surprised. There are always some manias in FS. I predict next year the tango mania will peak with even more skater choosing that beautiful music.
Mao's Exhibition this year was beautiful and I really suggest Mao to use it for her SP.

But remember that Mao said that she wants to try try something completely new next season. We will see it.

gio

Medalist
Caroline really does have to branch out with her music choices. I am not saying she should skate to Metallica, but she needs stronger, un-ballet related music.

I completely agree with you! She should remain in the classical music department IMO, but something faster.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've also been wondering who might keep their programs from this year instead of changing.. I'm not sure training two long or two short programs would work, so I guess the way to go is to stick to what you know will work. Don't try something new or experiment with new styles, the Olympic year is not the time for that.
Brian Joubert has said that he'll keep his SP and get a new LP. I'm actually not crazy about his SP, but I think he's doing the right thing because he's confident in his ability to perform Rise, so it will allow him to focus on getting a really good LP.

IMO, M/T should keep their Nobody Home SP. It's such a beautiful program, and like Joubert they need to focus on creating and performing a stronger LP. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Zhangs with the same SP in 2009-10. Other than that, I can't think of any programs I'd like to see repeated.

I really hope no one repeats programs, particularly LPs. This is the Olympic season and the desire to create something new and dynamic to blow the judges away should be the thinking of the skaters, not another recycled program or style. A very important aspect of being a champion IMO is challenging yourself with new, versatile programs and music choices.
I agree for the most part, though I can understand skaters who want to keep one program in an Olympic year - it's so stressful as it is, and if that's what helps them deal with it, why not. Also, I don't know how much experimentation is a good idea in an Olympic year - skaters should also play to their strengths. Looking, say, at Virtue/Moir, I'm glad they tried something different this year but I do feel they would be better off with something that fits better with their style next season.

But like you, I prefer to see skaters trying new things and definitely not recycling LPs if it can be avoided.

Kinga

Medalist
I would love Del/Sch to keep their FD. I think their Pink Floyd program deserves more glory than just Grand Prix Gold medal. It is such an extraordinary dance!

I know that they said they are full of new ideas and they want to prepare new FD, but I am not that fond of their ALL ideas, so I am a bit worried about their next number. Will I like it?

skatingbc

Final Flight
I read somewhere that Patrick Chan intends to keep one of his programs. I hope he keeps his SP. I love his LP and simply adore any Rachmaninoff music, but I would like to see something new.

Danale

On the Ice
For now, skaters should not try to impress the judges by trying to show them how versatile they can be, but rather how well they can play to their own strengths. After all, how pathetic would it sound if you said you didn't win OGM because you were "trying something new"?
I don't think versatility is necessarily skaing to different music styles. Personally I don't want to see Brian skaing to Rachmaninoff, nor do I want to see Patrik skating to techno music. Versatility can also manifest in improving music interpretation, choreography, different transitions ...

Oh I hope not! Please no more tangos! :laugh:
:clap:
And no more Tosca! I used to love this opera, and now all I can think of is this aria and figure skating. And I have tickets for my Birthday ... I need to ditox from Tosca :biggrin:

Brian Joubert has said that he'll keep his SP and get a new LP. I'm actually not crazy about his SP, but I think he's doing the right thing because he's confident in his ability to perform Rise, so it will allow him to focus on getting a really good LP.
Yes, please, new LP from Brian, with 2-3 quads, enough time for spins (I know he can get the levels up if he doesn't keep them for the last minute of the program), and intricate transitions.
He can certainly win with this SP (not my fav too), and I really want to see him win LP again.

I read somewhere that Patrick Chan intends to keep one of his programs. I hope he keeps his SP. I love his LP and simply adore any Rachmaninoff music, but I would like to see something new.
I'd like to see Patrick choose lighter music.
Personally I thought his LP was too packed with edges and transiotion. I was almost dizzy, and it seemed like the wrong discipline. He's an exceptional skater, and I'd like to see him add more technical content.

Wouldn't a new routine for the Olys be apropo with a fall-back on a 2009 routine that scored well and the skater was comfortble with?

The new routine would be tested at the GPs, the individual Nats, the Euros or the 4CCs and decision making for whether to keep it for the Olys or use 2009 program.

I am aware that we all want new programs every year, but this particular comp is a once every 4 years and soooo important to the skater. Falling back on a previous program if the current one is not working well must be considered. 2014 is a long time away.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I looove that Avrora film!:love:
Evgenia Kanaeva's 2008 hoop music might be good too.

Do you happen to know where I can get the score? Please and thank you.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping a program for the Olympic season from before if it's a hit with the general consensus. As a personal preference, I like new programs but if one choses to carry over a program, please be the short and don't rechoreograph it because it usually doesn't ring as well, ala Shizuka's Turandot. Mature and artistic, but christ, did all the spins have to be the same? Though, Sasha's Dark Eyes was good, despite removing most of it's original choreography.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't see anything wrong with keeping a program for the Olympic season from before if it's a hit with the general consensus. As a personal preference, I like new programs but if one choses to carry over a program, please be the short and don't rechoreograph it because it usually doesn't ring as well, ala Shizuka's Turandot. Mature and artistic, but christ, did all the spins have to be the same? Though, Sasha's Dark Eyes was good, despite removing most of it's original choreography.

I agree. I loved watchig Shizuka skate to Turandot when she won her national title, and I really liked her Fantasie Impromtu LP in the 2005-06 season. Her LP at the olympics was so flat however, all the choreography was gone, all the spins looked exactly the same, there was no emotion. I am not starting a "she was robbed" argument, i don't have a beef with her winning, but we all knew should do so much more.

As for "dark eyes" sasha did change the chreography, but unlike most she actually added some and improved the old.