Tonya Harding on Oprah | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tonya Harding on Oprah

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Tonya, if you ever read these types of sites (I hope not, for your well being, though I hope a friend might), I just want to say that I never tire of watching your 1991 US Nationals LP performance ~ best one I've ever seen by a woman ~ you were truly blessed!

Agreed. May I add '91 Skate America SP and '94 Nationals to the list of my favourite list.

stevlin

On the Ice
Bobbit

I believe Lorena Bobbit cut of her hubby's penis because he was very abusive to her and she couldn't take getting raped by him anytime he wanted sex from her. She must have been in a very desperate frame of mind to do that.

ks777

Record Breaker
I believe Lorena Bobbit cut of her hubby's penis because he was very abusive to her and she couldn't take getting raped by him anytime he wanted sex from her. She must have been in a very desperate frame of mind to do that.

What I don't understand is why she didn't leave him? If she was that desperate, she could have left him or went to the police.

I saw the show. I know Tonya was abused by her mother and everything but she can't blame everything on her mom and people around her for how she turned out. I never blame my parents for how I turned out.

antmanb

Record Breaker
What I don't understand is why she didn't leave him? If she was that desperate, she could have left him or went to the police.

There are an abundance of different studies into the psychological effect of an abusive spouse on women. It's not easy to sumamrise that level of detail into one easy sentance but if you are truly interested I'd recommend reading some because the effect of abuse on the psyche is truly phenomenalbut by and large it is fear that keeps women from leaving and/or going to the police.

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and large it is fear that keeps women from leaving and/or going to the police.
Ant
Ant, I agree with you except it doesn't have to be a woman. I have 2 male friends that live together and the one is soooo abusive to the other. I asked him why he puts up with all the stuff he does and he said ....if I leave where am I going to go??? He said he could be homeless. This man had a house, a new car and a great job. The friend moved in and it all went down the tubes.

It's very scary!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there are men who are abused by their female spouse as well... but they are either not believed/ignored, or don't get the help because who wants to admit they're being beaten up by a girl all the time?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ant, I agree with you except it doesn't have to be a woman. I have 2 male friends that live together and the one is soooo abusive to the other. I asked him why he puts up with all the stuff he does and he said ....if I leave where am I going to go??? He said he could be homeless. This man had a house, a new car and a great job. The friend moved in and it all went down the tubes.

It's very scary!!

Sadly I know of a number of similar situations. There must have been studies carried out with every conceivable combination of couples and sexes but the ones I've had most dealing with are the ones where the Male is the abuser and the Woman is the abused hence my particuarl focus that way round. It always amazes me how awful human being can be to each other.

Ant

heyang

Record Breaker
Oprah is on my season pass list, but I usually delete if I'm not interested in the topic.

The theme of the show was New Stories of the 90's and where are they now.

When Oprah interviewed Tonya, she represented a sympathetic viewpoint and treated her with kid glvoes as compared to Tonya's past interviews. As during other interviews, Tonya expressed regret for being involved with the people who hurt Nancy and said she only wishes Nancy well. She mentioned being verbally abused daily by her mother. So, nothing really new.

I skipped the rest of the show.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, nothing really new.

I skipped the rest of the show.
How did Tonya look. A couple of years ago --- she had gained some weight, I was wondering if she lost it.