Michael's costume | Golden Skate

Michael's costume

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Is it just me or does this look like something Brian Boitano and Brian Orser rejected back in 1988? You'll need to click on this link to USFSA.org and scroll down to the last picture....

http://www.usfsa.org/events_results/results/200304/campbellsclassic/pics1.htm

I have to admit that I am curious to see his program, as I was intrigued by the description 'American-themed music', which is a medley of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home," "Amazing Grace" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic". I think I was expecting Copland or Gershwin, but that's just me.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

It's a Civil War uniform, right? But look how much Sasha looks like a swan in the first picture on that page! I think all the people were right who said that her custume looked better in motion than standing still.

Michelle's reminds me of her Lyra Angelica dress in its simpicity.

Mathman

MasterF

Rinkside
Costumes

Hey at least MIchael's costume wasn't black. Ryan also wore a non-black outfit. By the way was Michelle showing cliviche(spelling) ????????????

amykaren

On the Ice
That first picture of Sasha is incredible. Not many skaters can hit a position like that, and the dress makes it that much better. Very stunning! :)

ATW27

On the Ice
I do think Micheal's going for a Civil War theme for his new LP..... I mean look at the music - Battle Hymn of the Republic and When Johnny Comes Marching home Again, two songs that are more associated with that conflict that any other war the U.S. has been a part of.
Also, the costume does more than resemble some Civil war uniforms.... actualy, there was a unit of Cavalry from New Jersey that had jackets that looked quite a bit like the top part of Mike's costume (only the braid was yellow, amongst other things). Someone commented that the costume makes him look like a bellhop....well, there were many civil war uniforms that look a bit strange or outlandish. Oh yeah, and that New Jersey Cavalry unit I mentioned? Their complete uniform included a pillbox cap, which realy made them look like bellhops. also, I should mention that Mike costume looks to be a blue/grey color.... I don't think that's a coinsidence.
Lastly, keep in mind that Mike's from northern Virginia, which is right in the middle of Civil War country.

Andy

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's an improvement on his other costumes! Also, it fits his music.

euterpe

Medalist
I am not a Michael Weiss fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought this program suits him perfectly. If he can nail the jumps (and that is a BIG if), this could be a good year for him.

His music was a welcome departure from all the schmaltz skated to by the other competitors.

Pookie

Final Flight
Actually, I think it's one of his best costumes also. I'm not much of a Michael fan but I would like to see him skate up to his potential. Maybe this will be a good year for him.

isk82

On the Ice
My take on this is that Michael is copying the two most recent Olympic Gold Medalists from the United States - Brian Boitano with a military theme and Scott Hamilton with the patriotic theme. Scott had an exhibition number to Battle Hymn of the Republic if I remember correctly. Probably figures it worked for them, why not? Of course you need the skating to back it up.

Lcp88

On the Ice
<Nearly falls off chair>

What?!?!?! AP's outfit isn't heavily sparkled with billions of tiny little sequins?!?! AHHHHHH!!!! The insanity!!! I don't know what to do! This must be a first! <Recovers> There. I do really like this outfit. It works well on her - you pay more attention to her skating instead of the animal or whatever thats portrayed on her bodice ;) :laugh:
Laura

A side note: Is Michelle planning on wearing the same dress in various colors? It seems to me that we have seen this outfit in red, yellow, dark purple, blue and now violet. I like it and all, but its getting a bit old. IMHO of course:)

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Between the cantankerous war music and the heavily themed uniform costume, Weiss looked like the ghost of Todd Eldredge past. Personally, I thought that it was his worst Lp ever. The costume looks blue in the picture, but live it looked green.

I hated the way Sasha's costume looked in motion. Black swan vs. white swan: when she did her layback, it looked like a cock fight. Totally distracting.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey, I thought he looked great..........can't wait to see him skate...........42

dfj

On the Ice
I like Michael Weiss - not my favourite, but he's interesting to watch.

That said, however, I'm just a little tired of the U.S. flag-waving "rah, rah, rah" stuff. I've had enough of the military so I think I'll pass this year. I was hoping he might soften his look and get away from the macho image.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey dfj, that's nice to hear.........people who appreciate Michael's skating are rare around here :\ 42

windspirit

On the Ice
show 42 said:
Hey dfj, that's nice to hear.........people who appreciate Michael's skating are rare around here :\ 42
I wouldn't say so. Some people might not like his big mouth, hair, choice of music, his preoccupation of trying to land a quad lutz, etc., but I don't think you can say that they don't appreciate his skating. From what I've read so far on this group, I think they do. But don't expect people to be in awe every single time he skates. He has to "show us the mooooney!"

Btw, if that's any consolation ;) , even though Michael's not my type, I think he looks great in the pic at USFSA site. But I don't like the idea of his program, that is, the choice of music (which has nothing to do with appreciating -- or not -- his skating). Well, we'll see.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Wouldn't it be wonderful if both Mike and Angela could make it to the top of the world podium this year? They are both due that "stars are aligned, great skate of a lifetime". As for Mike's patriotic theme if ever there was a time for it it's now. Patriotism should never be out of style. He hasn't done this type of program for as far back as I can remember (which I admit is not far). It's been almost 16 years since the Brians did their military inspired programs. If a guy isn't into the ballet type program they seem to be more limited theme wise. Mike has done opera and rock in the recent past so this will be a nice change for him. I can't wait.

Piel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I totally agree Piel.........he may not be "Mr. Sensitive" all the time, but he certainly has been versatile and doesn't seem to be afraid to think outside of the box, skating wise that is.............42

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"As for Mike's patriotic theme if ever there was a time for it it's now."

Huh?!?

Do you mean that now that most of the world is convinnced that the US has no idea what it's doing in Iraq, it's a good idea to bring a flag waving theme before international judges?

Huh?!?

" Patriotism should never be out of style. "

Patriotism should never be IN style.

Imagine an international skating competition where all the skaters wore uniforms and skated millitary themed programs having to do with thier own country's politics. Blech!

" If a guy isn't into the ballet type program they seem to be more limited theme wise. "

What a sad comment on art, and how people limit themselves by sticking with prescribed themes someone else thought up a billion years ago. I won't even get into the sexism and homophobia inherent in such a comment.