Michael's costume | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michael's costume

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
By patriotism I mean by it's most common and simplest definition...love and support of one's country. Not necessarily the policys of the politicians of that country. And yes IMO every citizen should love and support their country. I am not pro war BUT I have several close friends who have husbands in the middle east right now. These are men that I love and respect and I am supportive of THEM and their families for the sacrifices they are making. Hey, if these "vol.unteer" soldiers weren't doing the job it could very well come down to the draft being reinstated and females being drafted along with the men. Personally, I believe that if men are drafted women should be too. So we owe these guys and their families, big time.

The military is one aspect of life and if a skater wants to use a military theme that is their choice. I don't see Mike's program as support of the present war but as a representation of a historical moment in our country (The Civil War). But, if when hearing the music or seeing the uniform I feel pride because I feel that I am lucky enough to live in the best country in the world, and for those few minutes feel a closer bond with my fellow citizens who are having the same experience that I am then good for me and good for Mike for providing me/us with that experience. If we want to remove this type of thing from sport then let the athletes compete as individuals, alphabetically, or by hair color (sorry Irina L. you may have to compete alone LOL). But take away the flags and take away the playing of the national anthems of the winners. Why not hoist up pictures of the winners and play their favorite songs instead? When those flags are raised and those anthems played those who share that nationality feel a connection to each other and pride in the accomplishment of their fellow citizen. Can't this connection extend also to a program ?

Mike does not skate with a balletic style as say Abt or Plush sometimes do. Although I haven't seen him in person he seems to have a more compact, muscular as opposed to long limbed body type. As for female skaters I would make the same comment about Surya, Yoshie, and even Irina. The more balletic style programs do not look as good done by them as by skaters who are longer limbed. Male skaters seem to choose mostly from ballet, opera, military, movie, or historical themes for their LPs with the occasional circus or rock thrown in. Most American male skaters are not trained in ballet or to appreciate it from an early age like the Russians are. I think that culturally skating is more sport and less art for some of our guys. The artistry usually comes after the jumps for some. So IMO if a skater does not choose a balletic type of program obviously it narrows down what is left to choose from. I think that this program may just work for Mike. Judges don't seem to like the rock themed programs. This is something new for him. Military themed programs have been well received by judges in the past. Nothing sexist or homophobic at all more a comment on what looks best as far as body type and what one's (specifically MW's) personal choice of skating style......seems to be IMO.

Piel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Excellent Piel........very well stated and thought out........42

berthes ghost

Final Flight
To quote myself "Huh!?!"

- you say that Mike's program isn't about the current war, but that we need patriotism now more than ever. Why? Because of the guys fighting over in Iraq, like you mentioned in your first paragraph? We need patriotic programs because of the war, but this patriotic program is not about the war? Huh?

- OK, you say that patriotism isn't about millitary. OK. Then by that account Mike could skate to Jazz or Swing or R&B or Hip Hop or Rock or Gershwin or Broadway show tunes or Aaron Copeland or even marching band music as they are all part of US culture and would make US viewers feel all warm and cozy inside. Was Oksana being "patriotic" in Lillehamer? Huh? Why can't Mike's program just be about the civil war? Why do you have to label it patriotic, just because he happens to come from Virginia? Is MK showing Italina pride this season? Huh?

I still don't get it, as I'm still convinced of 3 things:

1. Mike has a lot more theme choices than you limit him to.
2. Military themes are noisy and simplistic, IMHO.
3. Overtly patriotic (as the dictionary describes it) themes have no place in skating. (don't know if Mike intended to be flag waving or not)

AND EVERYONE, PLEASE:

Let's keep Politics, religion, and singling out ethnic groups out of Golden Skate. If you must toot your horn, there is Le Cafe, although there are so many political, religous and ethnic forums on the internet to serve that purpose.

For me, Michael's selection of 'patriotic' tunes is fine. Does he skate well to those tunes? That's another matter, and certainly worthy of discussion on GS.

Personally, I would have no problem with Tschaikowsky's 1812 Overture and the glory of the Tsar and Russia. Again, can a skater do a good skate to it?

Joe