Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ISU will no longer provide funding for Skate America

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I think that Skate America will be televised here in the US but the rest of the Grand Prix will not. So...speedy decided that since the rest won't be shown...no money for Skate America!
    That does seem to be the crux of the matter. The ISU apparently feels that USFS is more interested in securing television contracts for their own events than in supporting and promoting the ISU's agenda.

The ISU thinks that USFS could have done more to get US television networks to pick up the rest of the Grand Prix. In this I think the ISU is mistaken. USFS has no leverage with the television networks to get them to show more skating.

Custom Title
    We're also hearing that CBC is no longer going to show the GP events. Does that mean Speedy is going to retaliate against Skate Canada as well?

From what European fans have said on the boards, there isn't much figure skating on TV in Europe either.

Seems to me Speedy himself has killed the golden goose and is now blaming everyone else for the lack of interest in the product he has wrought.

I think Speedy just wants the sport to completely die out and go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    I think Speedy just wants the sport to completely die out and go away.
    Well he'd be out of a job if it did! I think he's just greedy and tyranical when it comes to trying to get more money. Ultimately, though, I think the sad effect will be the killing off of figure skating.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    We're also hearing that CBC is no longer going to show the GP events. Does that mean Speedy is going to retaliate against Skate Canada as well?
    I thought the same thing when I first read this thread. I'm pretty sure that CBC is currently planning on only showing Skate Canada and Nationals! No more Bold coverage.

From what European fans have said on the boards, there isn't much figure skating on TV in Europe either.
    I've been in the UK for the whole GP season and they've shown every GP on Eurosport (except the final). They showed Europeans and Worlds as well! Not bad actually.

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I agree I think it should go back to benig that competition, maybe it should also use 6.0?!
    Then bring back Michelle Kwan -- winner of seven Skate Americas -- and I would be in hog heaven!

Yesterday I was thinking along the same lines as Mathman & antmanb but on further reflection I decided that all that would accomplish would be retaliation by Speedy. Something like any skater participating in SkateAmerica if it withdraws from the Grand Prix would be ineligible to participate in any other ISU event including Worlds. Speedy believes in getting even, one way or another.

Custom Title

Enough is ENOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    Had enough of speedy yet? I certainly have.
    Had enough of him a long time ago. His only agenda seems to be himself. Does he have a life tenure in that job?

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    I've been in the UK for the whole GP season and they've shown every GP on Eurosport (except the final). They showed Europeans and Worlds as well! Not bad actually.
    Yes, but it was the first time they had done it in years and it might be a one-time deal. NHK was barely shown, and most of TEB looked suspiciously like snooker. Though Speedy cannot be blamed for the evil that is too-long snooker tournaments .

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    While this is true, Eurosport is a paid for channel, and it only started showing the GP this season. I think the last time it did was in 2000 or 2001. Hopefully the viewing figures they got will encourage more coverage next season (including the final!).

Ant

Custom Title
    I think if Speedy ousts Skate America from the GP schedule, he'll likely replace it with a Korean event.

But Skate America could then apply for International B status. Most International Bs aren't televised anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Yesterday I was thinking along the same lines as Mathman & antmanb but on further reflection I decided that all that would accomplish would be retaliation by Speedy. Something like any skater participating in SkateAmerica if it withdraws from the Grand Prix would be ineligible to participate in any other ISU event including Worlds. Speedy believes in getting even, one way or another.
    Yes that's the same conclusion I reached, which is why it would have to be "national" event.

The biggest problem would be losing the ability to fill your home slots with your own skaters. E.g. if Cohen were to come back next season the USFSA could give her Skate America to get some international exposure and feedback. If Skate America didn't go ahead that chance wuold be lost, equally with a skater like Meissner.

I think the ISU is being pretty stupid though because if the USFSA said, we can't afford to put it on without your financial help, let's scrap it, then the whole way the seeded skaters etc work would be thrown out of whack. Surely there wouldn't be another country willing to step into the breach on such short notice, that doesn't already have a GP? I suppose Germany might, given it did used to host one. Perhaps Korea might be willing given the popularity provoked by Kim?

Ant

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    If speedy has his way instead of Kristi Yamaguchi's Family and Friends we will all be watching

Apollo Anton Ohno's speed skating spectacular starring Apollo Anton Ohno with special guests Dan Jansen and Bonnie Blair and a bunch of skaters from Korea!!

OK, I finally got a chance to read the entire report (for some reason I couldn't open the document from my home computer.) It has a lot of interesting information about the financial status of United States Figure Skating.

First, I don't think anyone is talking about canceling Skate America, seceding from the ISU, bearding Speedy in his den, or anything of the sort. The ISU usually makes a contribution for Skate America expenses; this year it won't.

Skate America last year (Everett, Washington) set the all-time attendance record (29,477, bettering the previous record from Spokane of 28,664 in 2002.) USFS also was able to attract increased sponsorhip for figure skating overall, with a new contract with AT&T and the return of State Farm and Smuckers. They sold 85% of the available advertising for the event.

The real problem is not Speedy but the downturn in the economy. Membership is down somewhat and people are not traveling to events. The projected budget for next year lists an income of $12,000,000 form all sources against expenditures of $12,500,000. The remaining $500,000 will be made up by withdrawals from their two reserve funds. These cash funds were worth $60,000,000 last year, but lost 20% of their value in the stock market crash. (Lucky USFS -- I wish I had lost only 20% )
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-22-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks, mathman, for bringing some reason to this discussion. There's no need to panic or to believe SA will disappear from the GP schedule. Especially, in my thinking, as Team USA just took top honors at the WTT. Seems like spitting in the wind to oust them.

I'm still hopeful, call me an eternal optimist, that ISU will change it's mind and provide some funding after all. Speedy threats were recalled for the LA Worlds when he once said IIRC the hosting there was in jeopardy because of possible lack of TV/rights/coverage. He then retracted and said he'd GIVE away the rights if necessary in order for them to be held there. I think he's pushing just to see if and how hard anyone will push back. Didn't USFS say they were not giving up?

I believe the economy is the issue to some extent. Any word on sales for Lake Placid in 2009? Accessibility may be an added factor in attracting fans. From what I hear, no airport nearby - could mean a problem of added expense ie. car rental to get there.

Those who want to go badly enough will find a way. And the beat goes on!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast