Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: ISU will no longer provide funding for Skate America

mmmmm....Donut spin :) Kimmie Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    I believe the economy is the issue to some extent. Any word on sales for Lake Placid in 2009? Accessibility may be an added factor in attracting fans. From what I hear, no airport nearby - could mean a problem of added expense ie. car rental to get there.

Those who want to go badly enough will find a way. And the beat goes on!
    Lake Placid might be the most remote place in the East Coast to hold an event.
    Its historic and has lot of history, but it is really difficult to get there. plane or by car.
    I have a feeling there won't be attendance record at 09 SA.

Custom Title
    What I seem to remember most, is the ISU letting it be known that any coach, judge, or skater who joined the WSF would no longer be considered eligible for ISU events. That was the beginning of the end for the WSF, of course. I think the USFS then also said their members could not join the WSF. I remember wondering if the WSF was entitled to sue, at least in the US, on the basis of "restraint of trade" laws, but it seemed to be "game over".

Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    I remember wondering if the WSF was entitled to sue, at least in the US, on the basis of "restraint of trade" laws, but it seemed to be "game over".
    I believe the WFS did sue the ISU in the State of New York under the Clayton Antitrust Act. The court ruled either that the ISU did not fall under the provisions of the act, or that the WSF did not have legal status to bring suit, or that the state courts of NY did not have jurisdiction, or something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't see why a competing organization would care what the ISU mandated or did not mandate. The whole point of the new organization would be, screw the ISU.
    It would have to care because an organisation without skaters or officials would be no organisation at all, and skaters and officials would not lose their elligibilty on the off chance that a random organisation claiming to be the saviour of skating, would or wouldn't work.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    {..cut...}
    Perhaps Korea might be willing given the popularity provoked by Kim?

Ant
    Not gonna happen unless 5 more Kims exist.
    And I'm not talking about 5 Koreans with the last name Kim
    Unless there are more skaters of Yuna's caliber, the KSU won't provide large funding for figure skating.
    It's all about short track in KSU. Short track is what they know and what they do best.
    Unlike figure skating, there will always be a large supply of speed skaters to rise to the top when the best retire.
    Right now Yuna is probably supporting the figure skaters of Korea more than the KSU.
    If it were completely up to the KSU, they would ignore all of figure skating like they did with Yuna when she was a jr.
    Now the KSU is kind of forced to give attention to figure skating because of Yuna's popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrock View Post
    And I'm not talking about 5 Koreans with the last name Kim.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4