Delobel/Schoenfelder News-Isabelle is Pregnant | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Delobel/Schoenfelder News-Isabelle is Pregnant

Mafke

Medalist
Don't forget that pregnancy is not some horrible disease but a normal state and if anything often seems to be helpful for female athletes (several months of intensive weight training).

The big question is will judges let pairs recycle their ODs from last season? If the answer is yes, then they can be doing two programs that they already know (no reason to come up with a new FD since they didn't go to worlds).

There's also the question of what CD will be used at the olympics (the last olympic CD! doesn't that make anyone sad?)

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I hope she doesnt get the "baby blues" after delivery. And what about breastfeeding? I hope she just enjoys her pregnancy and her baby. It would not be the end of the world if they did not compete.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Well, it was nice seeing on the competitive ice D/S. Take care of your baby. That should be your priority.

lcd

Match Penalty
I remember Irina Rodnina came back after the birth of a baby and won the Olympic Gold in pairs. Her time and timing was different though. She was a many time world champion. She took a whole year off and missed an entire season (1979, and this opened the door for the very deserving Tai and Randy to win the world title in their absence), and then fortune/misfortune played its hand with the sad injury to Randy that forced them to withdraw from the 1980 Olympics. The performance Rodnina gave was very deserving and she had already shown at Europeans the year before that she had resumed conditioning to become an arguably even fitter, trimmer athlete.

Best wishes to Isabelle for the MOST important thing. Happiness and good health, for her and her baby.

Tammi

On the Ice
I don't think anyone is doubting that she will take care of her baby and maybe there is a cultural/country difference. Here in the US, we have 6 weeks of maternity leave. Many women try to work right up until their due date so those 6 weeks can consist of spending time with their new babies. After that though, it's back to full time, 8 hour a day jobs in most cases. Would her training schedule be much different than that? As to breastfeeding, I did with all 3 of my children and quite honestly, my figure came back quicker than my sisters who did not breastfeed. There is the matter of some extra distributed fat, but I think that is something she and Olivier could work through. Most of what skaters do is muscle memory and that's why they can come back a lot quicker from injury. Only time will tell if the same applies for Isabelle. As a mom, I'm giving her a big thumbs up :agree: for hanging onto her dream and yes, you can balance what you love with having a baby. It's not easy and you need a lot of support, but it can be done.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I don't think anyone is doubting that she will take care of her baby and maybe there is a cultural/country difference. Here in the US, we have 6 weeks of maternity leave. Many women try to work right up until their due date so those 6 weeks can consist of spending time with their new babies. After that though, it's back to full time, 8 hour a day jobs in most cases. Would her training schedule be much different than that?

Isabelle won't be able to train properly up to her due date though. When my mum was pregnant with my sister, they told her not to skate at all during her third trimester. Even if she was able to skate longer than this, I don't know that she would be able to train her programs properly 8 months pregnant! i suspect Olivier will have to train the way Scott Moir did last season, with broomsticks and weighted bags to imitate Isabelle!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Competing is definitely possible, but it's unlikely they'll be in the best form for Vancouver. With the ice-dancing field being so competitive, I doubt they'll be at the top of the podium at Vancouver. they were the favorites until now. Congrats to Isabelle, but I can't help but feel a little sorry for Olivier.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I suspect Olivier will have to train the way Scott Moir did last season, with broomsticks and weighted bags to imitate Isabelle!
Actually, Isabelle's replacement for training purposes will be much more attractive and talented than a broomstick and some bags: Marie-France Dubreuil will reportedly help with choreo and with the training of the programs once Isabelle is unable to do so.

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
Isabelle won't be able to train properly up to her due date though. When my mum was pregnant with my sister, they told her not to skate at all during her third trimester. Even if she was able to skate longer than this, I don't know that she would be able to train her programs properly 8 months pregnant! i suspect Olivier will have to train the way Scott Moir did last season, with broomsticks and weighted bags to imitate Isabelle!
What is proper training though? Coaches and camps seem to have differing views on what is the best way to train. Other than balancing on skates, is there anything that she couldn't be doing off ice in more of a cross training capacity? I'm thinking specifically of toning, flexibility, endurance, etc. Realizing that lifts will have to be left out for a while. To her advantage though, I believe that the ISU has recommened for 2009/2010 that the senior free dance have only 3 lifts as opposed to 4.

I guess whether or not you can be on the ice after a certain time, is up to the doctor. I know in my area, pregnant coaches have been on their skates right up until their due date. I'm not sure of the benefits to Isabelle of actually skating through her 8th and 9th month. A lot probably depends on the pregnancy itself. Some women don't gain much weight, some just get the baby bump, while others gain more weight and distribute it over different parts of the body. More telling will be her recovery time after the baby is born. If she has the full 4 months, then between muscle memory and being an athlete already, I think they could be competitive. If that time get's shortened at all, their chances drop significantly.

In regards to Olivier training, the article I saw mentioned that Marie-France Dubreuil would be filling in at least as a lift partner while they learn their FD.

The media for the Olympics definitely look for the human interest stories. This scenario could make for one pretty exciting story line and in a competition that's judged by people and not a clock, well, we'll see if it touches the judges hearts.

skatingbc

Final Flight
What is proper training though? Coaches and camps seem to have differing views on what is the best way to train. Other than balancing on skates, is there anything that she couldn't be doing off ice in more of a cross training capacity? I'm thinking specifically of toning, flexibility, endurance, etc. Realizing that lifts will have to be left out for a while. To her advantage though, I believe that the ISU has recommened for 2009/2010 that the senior free dance have only 3 lifts as opposed to 4.

I guess whether or not you can be on the ice after a certain time, is up to the doctor. I know in my area, pregnant coaches have been on their skates right up until their due date. I'm not sure of the benefits to Isabelle of actually skating through her 8th and 9th month. A lot probably depends on the pregnancy itself. Some women don't gain much weight, some just get the baby bump, while others gain more weight and distribute it over different parts of the body. More telling will be her recovery time after the baby is born. If she has the full 4 months, then between muscle memory and being an athlete already, I think they could be competitive. If that time get's shortened at all, their chances drop significantly.

In regards to Olivier training, the article I saw mentioned that Marie-France Dubreuil would be filling in at least as a lift partner while they learn their FD.

The media for the Olympics definitely look for the human interest stories. This scenario could make for one pretty exciting story line and in a competition that's judged by people and not a clock, well, we'll see if it touches the judges hearts.

She won't be able to train 100% before she delivers. I would think the reasons would be rather obvious. Her centre of gravity will be different, her body will be changing, etc.

We've had pregnant coaches in our area stay on the ice until their due date, but while they were pregnant, they mostly stuck close to the boards and weren't as active as they would be normally. And they're coaches! they don't skate full speed around the ice for hours each day and execute difficult footwork and lifts.

I wish her well, and I'll think they'll do fine at the Olympics, but they are definitely going to have a rather long training interruption.

Tammi

On the Ice
She won't be able to train 100% before she delivers. I would think the reasons would be rather obvious. Her centre of gravity will be different, her body will be changing, etc.
Yeah, I know from personal experience what the reasons are ;), however how drastically the body changes is different for every pregnancy. My point was that she may be able to do other things that still contribute to training. Unless there are complications and she is put on bed rest, she can train off her skates. While it may not be what's being considered as typical ice dance training, it could still be a high enough percentage that coming back in just about 4 months is still a feasible goal.

I read that Katerina Gordeeva was back on the ice training just 19 days after giving birth. I believe that was back when they were competing on the professional circuit. Her baby was small though and it sounds like there weren't any problems.

davina

Rinkside
I don't know if it's been confirmed, but I read it was Carron/Jost.

Where did you read this?

For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised, especially as:

Jost's partner is expecting this season;
They didn't score high enough to make 3 couples at the Olympics;
Muriel and her team have taken on Cappellini/Lanotte to train;
They didn't do as well as they wanted to and had to change their FD late in the season..

If true, are they both quitting skating? Or are they looking for new partners???

Last edited:

dewey

Rinkside
Yeah, I know from personal experience what the reasons are ;), however how drastically the body changes is different for every pregnancy. My point was that she may be able to do other things that still contribute to training. Unless there are complications and she is put on bed rest, she can train off her skates. While it may not be what's being considered as typical ice dance training, it could still be a high enough percentage that coming back in just about 4 months is still a feasible goal.

I read that Katerina Gordeeva was back on the ice training just 19 days after giving birth. I believe that was back when they were competing on the professional circuit. Her baby was small though and it sounds like there weren't any problems.

They skipped the World Pros after Daria was born, but they did appear in SOI that winter.

Tammi

On the Ice
Where did you read this?
On the FSU message board.

If true, are they both quitting skating? Or are they looking for new partners???
I'll have to go back and find it, but I think someone reported that she was skating with a new partner already

They skipped the World Pros after Daria was born, but they did appear in SOI that winter.
This is from the article that I saw online,

Just 19 days after Daria's birth (born on 9/11/92), Gordeeva was back on the ice. By October, after deciding to leave their daughter with Gordeeva's mother in Moscow, Gordeeva & Grinkov began rehearsals for the Stars on Ice skating tour in Lake Placid, New York. Two months later, Gordeeva & Grinkov successfully defended their World Professional Championship title, but they missed Daria's first Christmas.

I thought it came from her own book, but maybe it's incorrect?

skatingbc

Final Flight

I think they'll come back just fine after she has her baby. My point was that there is no way she'll be able to go 100% training right up to her due date. I'm sure she'll be able to do some training, but I doubt she'll be able to do everything. There is no doubt in my mind that they will do fine at the Olympics though.

davina

Rinkside
On the FSU message board.

I'll have to go back and find it, but I think someone reported that she was skating with a new partner already

Oh right. I didn't see the message.
She found a new partner quickly. I thought that her and Jost were doing Stars Sur Glace up until very recently.