Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Delobel/Schoenfelder News-Isabelle is Pregnant

Custom Title
    While this is great news, the timing seems a tad off. I wonder what her partner thinks.

I imagine this wasn't planned because the timing is really not ideal for her and Olivier to be in top shape for Olys. It would be really hard to combine caring for an infant with the kind of training needed to be medal contenders. But I'm sure Isabelle and her partner are happy and looking forward to being parents - according to this story, they plan to marry in June - and that she and Olivier will do their best to be prepared for Vancouver.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    OMG. I'm of course happy for her and her partner and hope all for the best but - that is the worst possible timing.
    Jeez, isn't it almost impossible to be really prepared to win an OGM. Seriously, I don't have much hope that it is going to work... Couldn't it have happened one year later...?
    Anyway, congrats to Isabelle!

Paying the bills
    Seriously, after the judging done at Worlds, will it really matter if they're not at 100%? Seems to me that if the judges want them on the podium, that's where they'll be.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    Seriously, after the judging done at Worlds, will it really matter if they're not at 100%? Seems to me that if the judges want them on the podium, that's where they'll be.
    Exactly my thoughts. Even if they don't skate flawlessly or have a lot of time to train, will it really matter if they have already been "chosen" for the podium? And this is ice dancing. While it's obviously very difficult, it's not like she's going to have to worry about maintaining triple jumps or anything through a pregnancy.

Congratulations to Isabelle! I feel a bit bad for Olivier, as I'm sure he wasn't expecting this at all during the Olympic season, but I think they'll be okay. Who knows though.

Don't forget that pregnancy is not some horrible disease but a normal state and if anything often seems to be helpful for female athletes (several months of intensive weight training).

The big question is will judges let pairs recycle their ODs from last season? If the answer is yes, then they can be doing two programs that they already know (no reason to come up with a new FD since they didn't go to worlds).

There's also the question of what CD will be used at the olympics (the last olympic CD! doesn't that make anyone sad?)

Custom Title
    I hope she doesnt get the "baby blues" after delivery. And what about breastfeeding? I hope she just enjoys her pregnancy and her baby. It would not be the end of the world if they did not compete.

Banned
    Well, it was nice seeing on the competitive ice D/S. Take care of your baby. That should be your priority.

Custom Title
    I remember Irina Rodnina came back after the birth of a baby and won the Olympic Gold in pairs. Her time and timing was different though. She was a many time world champion. She took a whole year off and missed an entire season (1979, and this opened the door for the very deserving Tai and Randy to win the world title in their absence), and then fortune/misfortune played its hand with the sad injury to Randy that forced them to withdraw from the 1980 Olympics. The performance Rodnina gave was very deserving and she had already shown at Europeans the year before that she had resumed conditioning to become an arguably even fitter, trimmer athlete.

Best wishes to Isabelle for the MOST important thing. Happiness and good health, for her and her baby.

Paying the bills
    I don't think anyone is doubting that she will take care of her baby and maybe there is a cultural/country difference. Here in the US, we have 6 weeks of maternity leave. Many women try to work right up until their due date so those 6 weeks can consist of spending time with their new babies. After that though, it's back to full time, 8 hour a day jobs in most cases. Would her training schedule be much different than that? As to breastfeeding, I did with all 3 of my children and quite honestly, my figure came back quicker than my sisters who did not breastfeed. There is the matter of some extra distributed fat, but I think that is something she and Olivier could work through. Most of what skaters do is muscle memory and that's why they can come back a lot quicker from injury. Only time will tell if the same applies for Isabelle. As a mom, I'm giving her a big thumbs up for hanging onto her dream and yes, you can balance what you love with having a baby. It's not easy and you need a lot of support, but it can be done.

The timing is a bit shocking, aye. But these things, they do happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I don't think anyone is doubting that she will take care of her baby and maybe there is a cultural/country difference. Here in the US, we have 6 weeks of maternity leave. Many women try to work right up until their due date so those 6 weeks can consist of spending time with their new babies. After that though, it's back to full time, 8 hour a day jobs in most cases. Would her training schedule be much different than that?
    Isabelle won't be able to train properly up to her due date though. When my mum was pregnant with my sister, they told her not to skate at all during her third trimester. Even if she was able to skate longer than this, I don't know that she would be able to train her programs properly 8 months pregnant! i suspect Olivier will have to train the way Scott Moir did last season, with broomsticks and weighted bags to imitate Isabelle!

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Competing is definitely possible, but it's unlikely they'll be in the best form for Vancouver. With the ice-dancing field being so competitive, I doubt they'll be at the top of the podium at Vancouver. they were the favorites until now. Congrats to Isabelle, but I can't help but feel a little sorry for Olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    I suspect Olivier will have to train the way Scott Moir did last season, with broomsticks and weighted bags to imitate Isabelle!
    Actually, Isabelle's replacement for training purposes will be much more attractive and talented than a broomstick and some bags: Marie-France Dubreuil will reportedly help with choreo and with the training of the programs once Isabelle is unable to do so.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 04-23-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    Isabelle won't be able to train properly up to her due date though. When my mum was pregnant with my sister, they told her not to skate at all during her third trimester. Even if she was able to skate longer than this, I don't know that she would be able to train her programs properly 8 months pregnant! i suspect Olivier will have to train the way Scott Moir did last season, with broomsticks and weighted bags to imitate Isabelle!
    What is proper training though? Coaches and camps seem to have differing views on what is the best way to train. Other than balancing on skates, is there anything that she couldn't be doing off ice in more of a cross training capacity? I'm thinking specifically of toning, flexibility, endurance, etc. Realizing that lifts will have to be left out for a while. To her advantage though, I believe that the ISU has recommened for 2009/2010 that the senior free dance have only 3 lifts as opposed to 4.

I guess whether or not you can be on the ice after a certain time, is up to the doctor. I know in my area, pregnant coaches have been on their skates right up until their due date. I'm not sure of the benefits to Isabelle of actually skating through her 8th and 9th month. A lot probably depends on the pregnancy itself. Some women don't gain much weight, some just get the baby bump, while others gain more weight and distribute it over different parts of the body. More telling will be her recovery time after the baby is born. If she has the full 4 months, then between muscle memory and being an athlete already, I think they could be competitive. If that time get's shortened at all, their chances drop significantly.

In regards to Olivier training, the article I saw mentioned that Marie-France Dubreuil would be filling in at least as a lift partner while they learn their FD.

The media for the Olympics definitely look for the human interest stories. This scenario could make for one pretty exciting story line and in a competition that's judged by people and not a clock, well, we'll see if it touches the judges hearts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast