Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Delobel/Schoenfelder News-Isabelle is Pregnant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    What is proper training though? Coaches and camps seem to have differing views on what is the best way to train. Other than balancing on skates, is there anything that she couldn't be doing off ice in more of a cross training capacity? I'm thinking specifically of toning, flexibility, endurance, etc. Realizing that lifts will have to be left out for a while. To her advantage though, I believe that the ISU has recommened for 2009/2010 that the senior free dance have only 3 lifts as opposed to 4.

I guess whether or not you can be on the ice after a certain time, is up to the doctor. I know in my area, pregnant coaches have been on their skates right up until their due date. I'm not sure of the benefits to Isabelle of actually skating through her 8th and 9th month. A lot probably depends on the pregnancy itself. Some women don't gain much weight, some just get the baby bump, while others gain more weight and distribute it over different parts of the body. More telling will be her recovery time after the baby is born. If she has the full 4 months, then between muscle memory and being an athlete already, I think they could be competitive. If that time get's shortened at all, their chances drop significantly.

In regards to Olivier training, the article I saw mentioned that Marie-France Dubreuil would be filling in at least as a lift partner while they learn their FD.

The media for the Olympics definitely look for the human interest stories. This scenario could make for one pretty exciting story line and in a competition that's judged by people and not a clock, well, we'll see if it touches the judges hearts.
    She won't be able to train 100% before she delivers. I would think the reasons would be rather obvious. Her centre of gravity will be different, her body will be changing, etc.

We've had pregnant coaches in our area stay on the ice until their due date, but while they were pregnant, they mostly stuck close to the boards and weren't as active as they would be normally. And they're coaches! they don't skate full speed around the ice for hours each day and execute difficult footwork and lifts.

I wish her well, and I'll think they'll do fine at the Olympics, but they are definitely going to have a rather long training interruption.

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    She won't be able to train 100% before she delivers. I would think the reasons would be rather obvious. Her centre of gravity will be different, her body will be changing, etc.
    Yeah, I know from personal experience what the reasons are , however how drastically the body changes is different for every pregnancy. My point was that she may be able to do other things that still contribute to training. Unless there are complications and she is put on bed rest, she can train off her skates. While it may not be what's being considered as typical ice dance training, it could still be a high enough percentage that coming back in just about 4 months is still a feasible goal.

I read that Katerina Gordeeva was back on the ice training just 19 days after giving birth. I believe that was back when they were competing on the professional circuit. Her baby was small though and it sounds like there weren't any problems.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Hasn't a french dance couple just split up? I wonder if their decision would have changed if theyknew this?

Ant
    Which couple is this?

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by davina View Post
    Which couple is this?
    I don't know if it's been confirmed, but I read it was Carron/Jost.

Oh no!!!! Why?

Rinkside
    Where did you read this?

For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised, especially as:

Jost's partner is expecting this season;
    They didn't score high enough to make 3 couples at the Olympics;
    Muriel and her team have taken on Cappellini/Lanotte to train;
    They didn't do as well as they wanted to and had to change their FD late in the season..

If true, are they both quitting skating? Or are they looking for new partners???
    Last edited by davina; 04-23-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Yeah, I know from personal experience what the reasons are , however how drastically the body changes is different for every pregnancy. My point was that she may be able to do other things that still contribute to training. Unless there are complications and she is put on bed rest, she can train off her skates. While it may not be what's being considered as typical ice dance training, it could still be a high enough percentage that coming back in just about 4 months is still a feasible goal.

I read that Katerina Gordeeva was back on the ice training just 19 days after giving birth. I believe that was back when they were competing on the professional circuit. Her baby was small though and it sounds like there weren't any problems.
    They skipped the World Pros after Daria was born, but they did appear in SOI that winter.

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by davina View Post
    Where did you read this?
    On the FSU message board.

If true, are they both quitting skating? Or are they looking for new partners???
    I'll have to go back and find it, but I think someone reported that she was skating with a new partner already

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    They skipped the World Pros after Daria was born, but they did appear in SOI that winter.
    This is from the article that I saw online,

Just 19 days after Daria's birth (born on 9/11/92), Gordeeva was back on the ice. By October, after deciding to leave their daughter with Gordeeva's mother in Moscow, Gordeeva & Grinkov began rehearsals for the Stars on Ice skating tour in Lake Placid, New York. Two months later, Gordeeva & Grinkov successfully defended their World Professional Championship title, but they missed Daria's first Christmas.

I thought it came from her own book, but maybe it's incorrect?

Custom Title

I think they'll come back just fine after she has her baby. My point was that there is no way she'll be able to go 100% training right up to her due date. I'm sure she'll be able to do some training, but I doubt she'll be able to do everything. There is no doubt in my mind that they will do fine at the Olympics though.

Rinkside
    On the FSU message board.

I'll have to go back and find it, but I think someone reported that she was skating with a new partner already
    Oh right. I didn't see the message.
    She found a new partner quickly. I thought that her and Jost were doing Stars Sur Glace up until very recently.

Tripping on the Podium

Just 19 days after Daria's birth (born on 9/11/92), Gordeeva was back on the ice. By October, after deciding to leave their daughter with Gordeeva's mother in Moscow, Gordeeva & Grinkov began rehearsals for the Stars on Ice skating tour in Lake Placid, New York. Two months later, Gordeeva & Grinkov successfully defended their World Professional Championship title, but they missed Daria's first Christmas.

I thought it came from her own book, but maybe it's incorrect?
    Whoops, it was me. They missed 1993, not 92.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    What about Tatiana Navka? Didn't she also have a baby before winning the olympics with Roman? How did she manage it?

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audrey19 View Post
    What about Tatiana Navka? Didn't she also have a baby before winning the olympics with Roman? How did she manage it?
    From what I read in the icenetwork article, Navka's child was six years old when she won the Olympics. Don't think it would have been an issue. The article stated that none of the skaters came back after giving birth in the actual year that they won the medal.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    I see, this is really an extraordinary situation. Hopefully they'll be able to compete in Vancouver and contend for the gold!

OMG, I had this lovely thought. If Isabelle has a daughter, there may be a future ice-dance team with Olivier's son. How cute would that be?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast