Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yu Na or Mao, will they retire if they claim olympic glory

Custom Title

Yu Na or Mao, will they retire if they claim olympic glory

I feel like their rivalry should go on for another 4 year cycle but I sense who ever wins Olympic Gold will retire and turn pro, well they certainly will not go to World's that year.

Be such a shame but we will lose either Yu Na or Mao, who ever is second or third I think they will stay on to 2014, but will they have it their own way??

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I believe Yu-na said she will retired after 2010. I don't think she mentioned winning. Her cronic injuries are the main factor in this decison. I see Mao sticking around if she does not win though. Actually, i would not be surprised if Mao stcuk around even after she won.

Eien.
    I see yuna retiring after the 2o1o olympics. i think mao will stick in even if she wins .

Custom Title
    For more than 60 years, it has been a "strong" tradition that the lady gold medalist at the Olympic games retires. It is really surprising and sad but this is a hard fact. The only exception is Katarina Witt. Maybe Sarah Hughes too who stayed just one more year.

In the light of this tradition, the exceptionally long career of Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya is because they got no gold at the Olympic games.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipyramidal View Post
    I see yuna retiring after the 2o1o olympics. i think mao will stick in even if she wins .
    I think so too. Didn't Mao actually say she will stay eligible till after 2010?

Custom Title
    I've also read that Yu-Na will probably retire after 2010, gold or not, but nothing quite so specific for Mao.

A little selfish part of me hopes that they'll both (or at least, one of them) will stay after 2010...I have a feeling the quality of skating may plummet a bit of they both leave.

Custom Title
    Oh no, depressing topic....
    Well, Yuna used to say like that about her retirement couple of years ago, but since last season, I kind of sensed a bit of change in her interviews. You see, she had a healthy season for the first time since she became senior, and maybe that affected her opinion on her retirement.
    Now she's talking like she'll enjoy her university life first when the olympic games over which is slightly different from 'I'll retire' IMO. She could take her time off the ice a season or two if she wants and then return and prepare 2014 also if she wants. (Ok, that's what I want.)
    So I wouldn't think about that just yet.

About Mao, I'm pretty sure she said she'll go for 2014 in an interview. Can anyone else confirm this?

At least we have Fumie Suguri going strong until Sochi!

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    At least we have Fumie Suguri going strong until Sochi!

I think all Japanese top ladies except for Mao, I mean Miki, Yukari, Fumie, Akiko, will retire after 2010.

Custom Title
    From what I understand, both Mao and Yeun-Ah ( I think that's right. ) have done very well with product endorsements, like if they wanted to go to college, they could buy one. Since they never have to worry about money, EVER, I see no reason for them to stay past the Olympics and risk more injury.

They will both go to college, get married, have a few kids, gain 50 pounds and watch the 2014 games from their couch.

Did I bring everybody down?

Eien.
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    From what I understand, both Mao and Yeun-Ah ( I think that's right. ) have done very well with product endorsements, like if they wanted to go to college, they could buy one. Since they never have to worry about money, EVER, I see no reason for them to stay past the Olympics and risk more injury.

They will both go to college, get married, have a few kids, gain 50 pounds and watch the 2014 games from their couch.

Nope!

lol Oh, nooooooooo.

No, but that'd make a very busy four years! They better get going right after the Olympics.

Actually, I think both of them will stay on without winning gold, even Yu-na. She had always said she would quit after 2010, especially earlier when she didn't seem very happy with her injuries nor seemed like she really enjoyed skating. Now that she's healthier, happier, AND has higher expectation of herself, I think she would find she won't be able to let go of the sport if she doesn't get OGM. As for Mao, I think OGM was always her goal, being such a prodigious skater at a young age, so I think as long as her health permits, she will plow for another Olympic cycle if she misses gold in Vancouver.

Bad news for all the younger skaters!

Custom Title
    Thanks for everyone's comments. They will be the leading two going in to the Olympics. I have a hunch (and I hope I am wrong) that Yu Na will win Gold and live the limelight and hang up her amateur career. I agree that Mao will stick around she will make the world stage her own until 2014????

My absolute dream is for Joannie to win Gold in Vancouver and for Yu Na and Mao to continue their rivalry.

Go Joannie!!

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    My absolute dream is for Joannie to win Gold in Vancouver and for Yu Na and Mao to continue their rivalry.

Go Joannie!!
    Me too, but I think whoever wins will retire. Think about all the pressure as an Olympic champion!! You can really never get back that level of greatness-- after you win Olympic gold, what other goal is there?

I say that whoever wins next year retires and continues her love of skating in shows or possibly professional competitions.

But since this topic is about Yu Na and Mao here is my two cents:
    Yu Na will retire--poor girl has had enough injuries to last a lifetime!

Mao, I think it will depend on the Olympic results and if she is happy with her performances.

Michelle'sFan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast