Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yu Na or Mao, will they retire if they claim olympic glory

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's comments. They will be the leading two going in to the Olympics. I have a hunch (and I hope I am wrong) that Yu Na will win Gold and live the limelight and hang up her amateur career. I agree that Mao will stick around she will make the world stage her own until 2014????

My absolute dream is for Joannie to win Gold in Vancouver and for Yu Na and Mao to continue their rivalry.

Go Joannie!!
    My absolute dream is Miki to win the Olympics, but I will not challenge the skate gods (goddesses?) any further!

Custom Title
    I can see Mao staying around for 4 more Olympics, possibly doing the impossible, breaking Sonja Henie's record. But then again, the same was said of Oksana Baiul, so who really knows...

The one truth that holds true is that anything is possible at the Olympics, which is why it's so exciting to watch! Only once every 4 years, who will rise to the top, who will fall, who will even make the Olympic Team, will an unknown come out & take it all, or will a favorite give a performance of a lifetime, or will they all choke?

Citius, Altius, Fortius ~ may the best o-n-e win!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I can see Mao staying around for 4 more Olympics
    Four! I thought that was a typo at first. Well, I think she might if she still had that carefree joy in her skating that she had when she was younger. But at this rate, I think by 2014 she will be worn out mentally if not physically.

[\quote]... or will they all choke?[/quote]

Oh! So anticlimactic.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post

They will both go to college, get married, have a few kids, gain 50 pounds and watch the 2014 games from their couch.

Did I bring everybody down?
    don't see that happening! if they are not competiting they will be dowing dozens of shows a year and guest appearances, maybe write a book, host a TV show, travel the world, do photo shoots and endorsements and maybe mentor the next asian jumping bean!

Custom Title
    Personnally, I don't care what they do as long as they are happy with their decision.

Yes I am like that person who thinks Yu-na will win,
    But I do for different reasons.
    1) it is held in Canada-she has a beloved Canadian Coach in Brian Orser because when she didn't she didn't get the scorers and the some people didn't
    like her skating because of it. Than she went To Canada /got Lori Nichol to Chorography (Canadian)practice in Canada, Canadian Coach,she is the next hot thing in Canada under the (normal Canadian Skaters such as Joannie,Patrick Chan, Virture& Moir etc.
    2) The Korea federation is buying her medals-everytime something about money /her endorsements /ranking comes up they blast it to the world how great she is doing/money/endorsement/ranking in getting endorsements in Korea.(in other words-she is getting overexposed in my opinion.To the point where people might get put off.
    3)Isu is worried about money -dropped the sponorship money for skate america-personally i think it was a sanction against the us regarding the WTT.-or someother affair they did.
    4) Cinquanta mentioning he didn't care about America/or whoever he just wants Asia up there. Since Korea is putting out a lot of money . I feel she will get it-even though she is a bit overated.(overlook a lot of her mistakes)
    I had a few morebut i forgot.

^ how about the number one reason is she's just that good?

Brian Orser didn't win an Olympic gold in HIS HOME COUNTRY... so why is it that she'll win gold because of him? If that's the case then forget Yuna - we better keep Alissa on the team because HER coach is Brian BOITANO! And he was the one who actually WON the gold in Canada.

Custom Title
    Will be hard for Yu Na to retire after the Olympics I would imagine given what a star she is in Korea. Maybe she would back off from doing Grand Prixs like Michelle, but then show up to kick butt when Worlds comes around.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    2) The Korea federation is buying her medals-everytime something about money /her endorsements /ranking comes up they blast it to the world how great she is doing/money/endorsement/ranking in getting endorsements in Korea.(in other words-she is getting overexposed in my opinion.To the point where people might get put off.
    Oh, really? Right, that's the reason there were not a single Korean sponsor banner in Worlds arena. By the way, how many Japanese sponsor banners were there? Eight? Nine?
    Any kind of 'Korean buying her medal' accusation never fails to make me laugh. Since when the Korean federation became a powerful one internationally?
    I think Yuna is overexposed in Korea.(And maybe a bit in Japan? I don't know.) Here in the US, I am certainly not overexposed to Yuna. I'm not even slightly exposed to her even though I really wish to 'get put off'!!!

But I have a strong feeling that Korean federation's not gonna be very happy and supportive if Yuna wants to retire after 2010 Olympic games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ^ how about the number one reason is she's just that good?

Brian Orser didn't win an Olympic gold in HIS HOME COUNTRY... so why is it that she'll win gold because of him? If that's the case then forget Yuna - we better keep Alissa on the team because HER coach is Brian BOITANO! And he was the one who actually WON the gold in Canada.
    ITA And they have Joannie!
    Last edited by gourry; 04-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2