Yu Na or Mao, will they retire if they claim olympic glory | Golden Skate

Yu Na or Mao, will they retire if they claim olympic glory

russell30

Final Flight
I feel like their rivalry should go on for another 4 year cycle but I sense who ever wins Olympic Gold will retire and turn pro, well they certainly will not go to World's that year.

Be such a shame but we will lose either Yu Na or Mao, who ever is second or third I think they will stay on to 2014, but will they have it their own way??

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I believe Yu-na said she will retired after 2010. I don't think she mentioned winning. Her cronic injuries are the main factor in this decison. I see Mao sticking around if she does not win though. Actually, i would not be surprised if Mao stcuk around even after she won.

steyn

On the Ice
For more than 60 years, it has been a "strong" tradition that the lady gold medalist at the Olympic games retires. It is really surprising and sad but this is a hard fact. The only exception is Katarina Witt. Maybe Sarah Hughes too who stayed just one more year.

In the light of this tradition, the exceptionally long career of Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya is because they got no gold at the Olympic games.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I've also read that Yu-Na will probably retire after 2010, gold or not, but nothing quite so specific for Mao.

A little selfish part of me hopes that they'll both (or at least, one of them) will stay after 2010...I have a feeling the quality of skating may plummet a bit of they both leave.

gourry

Final Flight
Oh no, depressing topic....
Well, Yuna used to say like that about her retirement couple of years ago, but since last season, I kind of sensed a bit of change in her interviews.:) You see, she had a healthy season for the first time since she became senior, and maybe that affected her opinion on her retirement.
Now she's talking like she'll enjoy her university life first when the olympic games over which is slightly different from 'I'll retire' IMO. She could take her time off the ice a season or two if she wants and then return and prepare 2014 also if she wants. (Ok, that's what I want.:biggrin:)
So I wouldn't think about that just yet.

About Mao, I'm pretty sure she said she'll go for 2014 in an interview. Can anyone else confirm this?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
From what I understand, both Mao and Yeun-Ah ( I think that's right. ) have done very well with product endorsements, like if they wanted to go to college, they could buy one. Since they never have to worry about money, EVER, I see no reason for them to stay past the Olympics and risk more injury.

They will both go to college, get married, have a few kids, gain 50 pounds and watch the 2014 games from their couch. :biggrin:

Did I bring everybody down? :frown:

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
From what I understand, both Mao and Yeun-Ah ( I think that's right. ) have done very well with product endorsements, like if they wanted to go to college, they could buy one. Since they never have to worry about money, EVER, I see no reason for them to stay past the Olympics and risk more injury.

They will both go to college, get married, have a few kids, gain 50 pounds and watch the 2014 games from their couch. :biggrin:

Nope! :p

kandidy

Final Flight

lol Oh, nooooooooo.

feraina

Record Breaker

No, but that'd make a very busy four years! They better get going right after the Olympics. :biggrin:

Actually, I think both of them will stay on without winning gold, even Yu-na. She had always said she would quit after 2010, especially earlier when she didn't seem very happy with her injuries nor seemed like she really enjoyed skating. Now that she's healthier, happier, AND has higher expectation of herself, I think she would find she won't be able to let go of the sport if she doesn't get OGM. As for Mao, I think OGM was always her goal, being such a prodigious skater at a young age, so I think as long as her health permits, she will plow for another Olympic cycle if she misses gold in Vancouver.

Bad news for all the younger skaters!

russell30

Final Flight
Thanks for everyone's comments. They will be the leading two going in to the Olympics. I have a hunch (and I hope I am wrong) that Yu Na will win Gold and live the limelight and hang up her amateur career. I agree that Mao will stick around she will make the world stage her own until 2014????

My absolute dream is for Joannie to win Gold in Vancouver and for Yu Na and Mao to continue their rivalry.

Go Joannie!!

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
My absolute dream is for Joannie to win Gold in Vancouver and for Yu Na and Mao to continue their rivalry.

Go Joannie!!

Me too, but I think whoever wins will retire. Think about all the pressure as an Olympic champion!! You can really never get back that level of greatness-- after you win Olympic gold, what other goal is there?

I say that whoever wins next year retires and continues her love of skating in shows or possibly professional competitions.

But since this topic is about Yu Na and Mao here is my two cents:
Yu Na will retire--poor girl has had enough injuries to last a lifetime!

Mao, I think it will depend on the Olympic results and if she is happy with her performances.

Michelle'sFan

viv

On the Ice
Thanks for everyone's comments. They will be the leading two going in to the Olympics. I have a hunch (and I hope I am wrong) that Yu Na will win Gold and live the limelight and hang up her amateur career. I agree that Mao will stick around she will make the world stage her own until 2014????

Go Joannie!!

:biggrin: My absolute dream is Miki to win the Olympics, but I will not challenge the skate gods (goddesses?) any further!

Nadine

Record Breaker
I can see Mao staying around for 4 more Olympics, possibly doing the impossible, breaking Sonja Henie's record. But then again, the same was said of Oksana Baiul, so who really knows...

The one truth that holds true is that anything is possible at the Olympics, which is why it's so exciting to watch! Only once every 4 years, who will rise to the top, who will fall, who will even make the Olympic Team, will an unknown come out & take it all, or will a favorite give a performance of a lifetime, or will they all choke?

Citius, Altius, Fortius ~ may the best o-n-e win!

feraina

Record Breaker
I can see Mao staying around for 4 more Olympics

Four! I thought that was a typo at first. :laugh: Well, I think she might if she still had that carefree joy in her skating that she had when she was younger. But at this rate, I think by 2014 she will be worn out mentally if not physically.

[\quote]... or will they all choke?[/quote]

Oh! So anticlimactic.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

don't see that happening! if they are not competiting they will be dowing dozens of shows a year and guest appearances, maybe write a book, host a TV show, travel the world, do photo shoots and endorsements and maybe mentor the next asian jumping bean!

fairly4

Medalist
Personnally, I don't care what they do as long as they are happy with their decision.

Yes I am like that person who thinks Yu-na will win,
But I do for different reasons.
1) it is held in Canada-she has a beloved Canadian Coach in Brian Orser because when she didn't she didn't get the scorers and the some people didn't
like her skating because of it. Than she went To Canada /got Lori Nichol to Chorography (Canadian)practice in Canada, Canadian Coach,she is the next hot thing in Canada under the (normal Canadian Skaters such as Joannie,Patrick Chan, Virture& Moir etc.
2) The Korea federation is buying her medals-everytime something about money /her endorsements /ranking comes up they blast it to the world how great she is doing/money/endorsement/ranking in getting endorsements in Korea.(in other words-she is getting overexposed in my opinion.To the point where people might get put off.
3)Isu is worried about money -dropped the sponorship money for skate america-personally i think it was a sanction against the us regarding the WTT.-or someother affair they did.
4) Cinquanta mentioning he didn't care about America/or whoever he just wants Asia up there. Since Korea is putting out a lot of money . I feel she will get it-even though she is a bit overated.(overlook a lot of her mistakes)
I had a few morebut i forgot.