2009/2010 Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2009/2010 Programs

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree that if there ever was a time to repeat a program it is at the olympics. You want to be comfortable, you want to be skating a program you know like the back of your hand. The olympic season is not the time to take risks. If a skater finds something that works, i think it is a good plan for them to stick with it, even if it causes slightly more boredom to the average viewer. Hey, it worked for Sale and Pellitier, Plushenko and Shizuka

oxade21

Match Penalty
I agree that if there ever was a time to repeat a program it is at the olympics. You want to be comfortable, you want to be skating a program you know like the back of your hand. The olympic season is not the time to take risks. If a skater finds something that works, i think it is a good plan for them to stick with it, even if it causes slightly more boredom to the average viewer. Hey, it worked for Sale and Pellitier, Plushenko and Shizuka

Worked? I thought that was one of the reason they lost to B/S? besides the program itself being a total crap.

evangeline

Record Breaker
^^

Yes, didn't Sale and Pelletier get criticized for using a 3-year old program? And I think the criticism was warranted--it was an old program that didn't show how much they had improved since then, even a regession to the eyes of some. And let's face it: Love Story wasn't exactly a masterpiece either. If only they had skated their Orchid LP at the Olympics! THAT was a program (if skated cleanly) that would have warranted the gold over Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.

^^
If only they had skated their Orchid LP at the Olympics! THAT was a program (if skated cleanly) that would have warranted the gold over Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.
I agree. But using same music for championships,( if more comfortable for the contestants) is strategy which in a comps is necessary. Sasha Cohen used Roti's R&J to death, in comps and exhibitions. Yet she is an Oly silver medalist.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^We'll know if she does at Skate America.:yes:

Sticking with the same program for years seems to be a free skater thing. It seems like ice dancers rarely repeat their FDs. Hmm.:think:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
which is one reason that dance is my favorite discipline, wonky judging and all.

lisou

On the Ice
I looooved Patrick's LP so the choice of keeping it is definitely fine by me (BTW I'm a sucker for Rachmaninov too). And the music formerly announced for Florent Amodio is not the right one according to Passion Patinage (yes, I'm still the ultimate Amodio fan as you can see lol).

irinas

Rinkside
Hi all!

Tuğba Karademir ( TURKEY ) has announched her music choices :cool:

Her short program is Turkish cultural music. It will be choreographed by Kurt Browning.

Her long program is Tango de los Exilados. It will be choreographed by Romain Haguenauer.

These are very nice choices! I am so happy for her. :rock:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And now, music news for skaters who are not French!

According to Galit Chait, the Zaretskis' OD will be Hava Nagila; no news re the free dance yet. Can't say I'm too enthusiastic about this choice, but maybe the FD will be more to my liking. Also, at least it's not Kalinka or Dark Eyes.

sillylionlove

Medalist
And now, music news for skaters who are not French!

According to Galit Chait, the Zaretskis' OD will be Hava Nagila; no news re the free dance yet. Can't say I'm too enthusiastic about this choice, but maybe the FD will be more to my liking. Also, at least it's not Kalinka or Dark Eyes.

Somehow I am not surprised by this choice!!!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Somehow I am not surprised by this choice!!!
Well, of course being Jewish they'd consider it... but I just get the feeling Galit is trying to remake them into version 2.0 of herself and Sergei, and I don't feel it suits their style or plays to their strengths. I'd rather have seen something more Israeli from them - there's more to Israeli and Jewish folk dancing than Hava Nagila.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Well, of course being Jewish they'd consider it... but I just get the feeling Galit is trying to remake them into version 2.0 of herself and Sergei, and I don't feel it suits their style or plays to their strengths. I'd rather have seen something more Israeli from them - there's more to Israeli and Jewish folk dancing than Hava Nagila.

I agree. But I think that if Hava Nagila is really well done i.e: it's great fun, then it could be a real hit.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm actually really looking forward to this because it brings to mind Sarah Abitbol & Stephane Bernadis magnificent 1996 FS to selections from Schindler's List & Hava Nagila! :) That's my all-time favorite Hava Nagila dance mix ~ Sarah had a ball at the end of the program ~ and the audience was clapping & having a wonderful time right along with her & Stephane. :clap:

Lol, as soon as I read this thread I searched my old tapes & found it. It brought back all those wonderful memories of their skating. They were & still are one of my all-time favorite pairs team.:love:

EDITED TO ADD: just now noticed that they have this on www.youtube.com, located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPBnzflekI Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

I'd have loved them to do a Klezmer OD :love:

What other choices would you have suggested for them other than Hava Nagila?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
What other choices would you have suggested for them other than Hava Nagila?
Israel has a lot of folk dances inspired by the different musical traditions of people who came to the country. Maybe someone else can help out with clips and specifics, I couldn't find good quality examples on Youtube. Just about any of it would be more ineresting to me than Hava Nagila; it's such a predictable choice - they've lived in Israel most of their lives, surely they could come up with something more unique? Maybe something with a Yemenite musical influence?

On the other hand, they did a Middle Eastern OD in 2008 so I can understand wanting something else.