2009/2010 Programs | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2009/2010 Programs

Medusa

Record Breaker
Jaaaaaaa! Jeremy, I just love you! :love:

Decent music people!

Holst? How brilliant, what a great idea. And a bit lighter for the short program (he varies that, doesn't he? 07/08 serious long but lighter short, last season very serious short and lighter long, and this season againt serious long and lighter short)

Going to change my banner... :party2:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Jaaaaaaa! Jeremy, I just love you! :love:

Decent music people!

Holst? How brilliant, what a great idea. And a bit lighter for the short program (he varies that, doesn't he? 07/08 serious long but lighter short, last season very serious short and lighter long, and this season againt serious long and lighter short

I agree - what interesting and beautiful music choices.
Now if Jeremy can just peak in Vancouver we might see something spectacular from him.

Jupiter from "The Planets"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7btzhoYY0

Here is "Pines of Rome" - one of my favorites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZe...96CDBEE4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=57

Last edited:
Very nice press piece. I'm a big fan of Shae Lyne after watching her solos on ice. Soooooo musical. and Abbott is musical. I hope 2+2 = 4 for podium.

It's interesting that when we talk about what music skaters should use, we almost always select SINGLE pieces... but it's not that unusual for skaters to combine totally different pieces in a single program. Here's an example of that.

So, from the Pines of Rome to the Planets. Jeremy's so inventive. First we'll see some cool new tree-climbing (or maybe tree-chopping?) moves, and then his footwork will be based on a moonwalk... right, Joe? :chorus:

It's interesting that when we talk about what music skaters should use, we almost always select SINGLE pieces... but it's not that unusual for skaters to combine totally different pieces in a single program. Here's an example of that.

So, from the Pines of Rome to the Planets. Jeremy's so inventive. First we'll see some cool new tree-climbing (or maybe tree-chopping?) moves, and then his footwork will be based on a moonwalk... right, Joe? :chorus:
:chorus: Whatever he uses it will be jeremy, hopefully, and not some dumb storybook to play out. Best footwork for me is throughout the entire program. That is what dance is all about.:cool: Check out Brezina, fastest feet in the West.:thumbsup:

janetfan

Match Penalty

The two pieces Jeremy will be skating to have similarities in that the composers are from the same era and use modern orchestrational techniques first developed by Rimsky-Korsakaff and later mastered by Ravel. Both works are heavenly imo and a skater like Jeremy has the talent to bring something quite majestic with this music next season.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Decent music people!

Holst? How brilliant, what a great idea. And a bit lighter for the short program (he varies that, doesn't he? 07/08 serious long but lighter short, last season very serious short and lighter long, and this season againt serious long and lighter short)

Yes, yes...I am excited to see these programs. Great choices of music. (I also liked MK's "A day in my life" program) Jeremy sounds happy and I do want him in Vancouver grabbing a medal.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Jeremey does seem happy. His Facebook updates are great to read.

Excellent music choices. I am so excited to see his new programs. Both sound very promising. I have to say on the whole skaters are being a little less boring this olympic season.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Not crazy about Jeremy's music choices (like the SP music a little bit more, the FS ones sound like generic movie scores everyone forgets the next day). Still willing to give it a try, because it's Jeremy. But, frankly, with all these Yuka Sato, MK, Shae-Lynn Bourne references he is pushing my fan patience to the limit.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Not crazy about Jeremy's music choices (like the SP music a little bit more, the FS ones sound like generic movie scores everyone forgets the next day).
Both pieces were the classical, much more complicated, original of loads of movie scores. But they are the originals, the movie scores are generic and fake. And from a music-theoretical standpoint both pieces are also much complex.

When I was a kid I had these CDs "Mad about..." and there was "Mad about Bach", "Mad about the opera" - and "Mad about the orchestra". And on the orchestra CD were mostly symphonic pieces, among them Elgar's Enigma Variations (I always wanted to see someone skate to them...), Tschaikovsky's 1812 (Lysacek should skate to that!), Mussorgsky's Gate of Kiev, two Wagners, the Bolero - and Jupiter from Holst. So I don't know if you are right with your assessment that people will forget Jupiter as generic movie score music, I always thought of it as one of the younger, very impressive, symphonic compositions, and I don't think I am alone with that opinion.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Both pieces were the classical, much more complicated, original of loads of movie scores. But they are the originals, the movie scores are generic and fake. And from a music-theoretical standpoint both pieces are also much complex.

Here is Fumie from '01 Worlds skating to Jupiter - music is a little muted though but gives an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI77svgX-qM

(John Williams has been influenced by both Holst and Respighi and I hear both of them in several of his better known film scores :) )

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, I love the choices Abbott made for his long program. "Jupiter" has this two and a half minute section in the middle that is just astoundingly beautiful. I first heard it while reading and I had to put my book down and just listen. It's very epic (maybe too epic for the rink???)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
So I don't know if you are right with your assessment that people will forget Jupiter as generic movie score music, I always thought of it as one of the younger, very impressive, symphonic compositions, and I don't think I am alone with that opinion.
I think you're right, Medusa: I was wrong and should have limited myself to 'how boring, IMO' in a sense of not being able to sing/ remember anything from the piece after hearing it once, the next day.

nashvilledancer

Spectator
So I don't know if you are right with your assessment that people will forget Jupiter as generic movie score music, I always thought of it as one of the younger, very impressive, symphonic compositions, and I don't think I am alone with that opinion.

You're certainly not alone. I've loved this music forever. This is one of the great "programmatic" symphonic pieces. It has a lot of different moods in it, from sparkling at the beginning to majestic in the middle theme. Even better, it is rarely used.

It's such an interesting combo to pit this lofty, majestic piece against the very earthy Jeff Beck version of the Beatles piece for the SP. :cool:

Jeremy will sure get to display his versatility!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I like the music choices, but then I'm always happy when skaters don't choose warhorses :biggrin:. Which I didn't expect Jeremy to do anyway. He seems so positive in the interview, it's good that he seems to have put the end of last season behind him.

Jupiter does sound like a film score, but I don't see anything wrong with that; film scores can be fantastic, and it used to be quite common for well-known composers to write scores, unlike today when it's more of a separate specialty. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished programs; of all the LPs I saw last year, Jeremy's performances at CoC and GPF were probably the best.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
film scores can be fantastic

Oh yes they can. It's just that - maybe - not all film scores are evenly fantastic.

The last 2 mens OGM, first Yagudin and then Plushenko, used film scores for their routines and won.

Jeremy does sound positive in regard to his fs music choice:

It's music people will recognize when they hear it.

Well, I'm glad Tom Dickson is still around. It's the guy who made _Lutai_ smile and interact last season. There's hope.

Thanks for posting, Nashville dancer. I see you have been around since 2004. :rock: Glad to see you join in! :)