2009/2010 Programs | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2009/2010 Programs

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Not another Rach 2. I just don't understand why with hundred of years of classical music to choose from, and so many great composers and musical works, skaters and choreographers can't look beyond the same dozen or so obvious choices. Surely audiences can relate to more than the obvious; we have seen great skaters win with more adventerous music choices. Doesn't anyone want to do something different and actually stand out? :rolleye:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
news or no?

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090624&content_id=5502216&vkey=ice_news

SP im curious, LP...typical classical- once he grows, his taste in LP music choice will too :laugh:

Thank you for letting know, 1795.

Lindgren is banking on Mroz's greater freedom of expression for the new short program she recently choreographed for him to a Latin medley including Tito Puente's "Temptation," "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" by Perez Prado and "Mambo Jambo" by Terry Snyder.

The musics are OK, but maybe too many cuts for one short program? It's very 90s. Very ice-dance.

Recently, Mroz headed off to Toronto for a week to work on a new free program, choreographed by Lori Nichol to Beethoven's "Symphony no. 5" and "Romance in F major."

"Lori Nichol is a genius. She's made my skating different. I'm hoping we can create a new magical program," the skater said.

Brandon is so young, so easily suggestible.... Ah, he's got Sochi. And I kind of like him (mostly because of the silver last US Championships).

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I'm not sure, but according to the article, it seems like her LP will NOT be Piano Concerto #2 :confused:
The article mentions Piano Concerto #2 as a signature piece for Rakhmaninov, which was also recently used by the blind pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii, Cliburn Competition 2009 Winner.
The article says Rakh pieces have been used by many skaters including Daisuke, Suguri, and Ito but it seems that Mao has chosen a completely different piece from the one these skaters had done. ( And Daisuke and Suguri have skated to Piano Concerto #2 )

I hope you're right. Rachmaninov wrote so much good music. No reason to jump to the conclusion that Mao will be skating to Piano Concerto #2. I hope she skates to a selection of Rachmaninov's compositions. Then she could have familiar tunes as well as his less popular compositions.

1. Isn't Sasha using a Tchaikowsky Pas de Deux?

2. Mroz's combination of Tango and Carribean rhythms is hardly 90s. It's more like 40s,

3. Beethoven's 5th is a stretch. Good luck to Brandon.

4. I am not familiar with Symphony in F. Was it composed by Beethoven?

janetfan

Match Penalty

The article doesn't say - but Beethoven's Symphony #6, "Pastoral" is in F major.
It used to be programmed a lot with the more dynamic Symphony #5 because they were premiered together - and offer a great contrast.

alekzu

Rinkside
Yay for Mao using Rachmaninov music! :clap: I love Rachmaninov. :love: I'd like to see her skate to Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini. Although I love Piano Concerto no 2, I'd like to see her use something else.

Alicja

On the Ice
According to Icenetwork, Rachael's SP will be Sing, Sing, Sing.

I think that's a good choice for her but she needs to add speed to really pull it off. If she can do that, it'll be fun to watch, I think.

gio

Medalist

I think that's a good choice for her but she needs to add speed to really pull it off. If she can do that, it'll be fun to watch, I think.

Actually I think that will help with her speed. :clap: Really good choice! It's true that Sing Sing Sing was overused, but that was a long time ago. Some fresh air and finally something more sparky. I'm glad she listened to our advice. :agree:

Good choice also from Mroz. A glimpse of the 50s with their mambos and cha cha will be fun to watch.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
I'm not sure, but according to the article, it seems like her LP will NOT be Piano Concerto #2 :confused:
The article mentions Piano Concerto #2 as a signature piece for Rakhmaninov, which was also recently used by the blind pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii, Cliburn Competition 2009 Winner.
The article says Rakh pieces have been used by many skaters including Daisuke, Suguri, and Ito but it seems that Mao has chosen a completely different piece from the one these skaters had done. ( And Daisuke and Suguri have skated to Piano Concerto #2 )

I apologize if I jumped to conclusions too soon. You can never tell with online translations.

The article doesn't say - but Beethoven's Symphony #6, "Pastoral" is in F major.
It used to be programmed a lot with the more dynamic Symphony #5 because they were premiered together - and offer a great contrast.

Actually, I think the article meant Beethoven's Violin Romance in F major. It's a very famous piece in a violinist's repertoire - beautiful piece too, but didn't strike me as a skating piece when I played it last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64KW04601ts

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott's short program is being choreographed by Shae Lynn Bourne.

True.

Sillylionlove, maybe you know how many single mens programs she's choreographed so far? (none?) I bet she's quite dancy, and I imagine her being very useful in assisting in teaching pretty moves. But an entire program?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shae Lynn choreographed Joannie's SP last season. It was a good program. I expect she'll do as well for Jeremy.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I apologize if I jumped to conclusions too soon. You can never tell with online translations.

Thanks for the translation - but I don't think this news is confirmed. Has there been any word from either Mao or Tat announcing the music for anything but next season's Galas? Tat said that Mao's music would be kept secret until the start of next season. I would think that any announcement is still a few months away.
Wondering - is Tat or Mao quoted in the article?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

please no. I am sick of Sing, Sing, Sing. She is too slow to pull it off very well. and i really wish she would get out of the 40's-50's music. Gershwin, moon river, now big band.

I hope she or her choreographer have checked out or will check out Michal Brezina's Sing Sing Sing. IMO, the best Sing, Sing, Sing I've seen.

please no. I am sick of Sing, Sing, Sing. She is too slow to pull it off very well. and i really wish she would get out of the 40's-50's music. Gershwin, moon river, now big band.
If I list the "I am sick of skating warhorses", I would have need for an extra page of listings. :biggrin:

Skaters who take risks are more interesting than those who stick with the sugary melodies. I would say, let the young lady have a change of pace. It beats those skaters who stick with the sugary Roti and Tchaikowsky pas de deux.

gio

Medalist
If I list the "I am sick of skating warhorses", I would have need for an extra page of listings. :biggrin:

Skaters who take risks are more interesting than those who stick with the sugary melodies. I would say, let the young lady have a change of pace. It beats those skaters who stick with the sugary Roti and Tchaikowsky pas de deux.

:clap: ITA!!!