Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009/2010 Programs

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I read Chan was keeping the LP, which shows questionnable judgement IMO. He rarely skated it clean and it was sleep-inducing. His SP was much more enjoyable, even though I'm not a fan I think it was a pretty good program for him.
    I liked both his programs, but I actually liked the LP more. The music cuts were all beautiful....but maybe that is just becuase I am a sucker for Rachmainov.

Another update from Passion Patinage about another French skater keeping a 2008-9 program: Yannick Ponsero will have a new SP (hopefully with a better costume than this year), but will keep his LP. He may make some minor changes to it.

OT, my reading comprehension in French is getting much better... I actually understood quite a bit of Yannick's interview without resorting to translations! So clearly my occasionally excessive interest in skating has had some positive effects! If only my French class curriculum in high school had been like this .

Tinymavy, I've nothing against Rachmaninov, but I've seen so many programs choreographed to selections from his music, and I don't feel there was anything particularly interesting or engaging about Chan's interpretation. I think Patrick should call Jeff and ask him for advice on music and choreo; maybe he'll end up with something a bit more original that would resonate with him more.

Custom Title
    It's never a good idea to use the same FS twice in a row, especially for the Olympics. The judges will expect a perfect performance, and if it is not forthcoming, they may penalize the skater more than they might have if it were a new program.

Considering that Chan didn't skate clean at the two biggest events of 2009 (GPF and Worlds), I think it's a huge risk to plan a repeat program for Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    We had a similar thread this past season and it was really helpful (thanks again dorispulaski for keeping it up to date and so organized! ). I realize it's very early yet, but as news comes out we can all post it here.

Should we also do a cliff notes version as more skaters announce their music as time goes on? A lot of posters requested that last season.

Yukari Nakano (as posted by Morning Glory (thanks btw!)
    SP--The Phantom of the Opera from Phantasia
    FP--The Firebird

Both are choreographed by Marina Zueva
    Thanks for posting this ~ yeah for Yukari ~ Firebird is perfect for her, the mythologicial bird that arises from the ashes, and from the land of the rising sun no less!

I still have the postcard she sent me when I congratulated her on becoming the third woman in history to land the triple axel in competition at the 2002 Skate America, on the day of my birthday no less!

Looking forward to seeing what everybody else has chosen for the Olympic season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It's never a good idea to use the same FS twice in a row, especially for the Olympics. The judges will expect a perfect performance, and if it is not forthcoming, they may penalize the skater more than they might have if it were a new program.

Considering that Chan didn't skate clean at the two biggest events of 2009 (GPF and Worlds), I think it's a huge risk to plan a repeat program for Vancouver.
    I don't think it's a huge risk at all, repeating a program offers a level of comfort and allows the skater to take more time in perfecting the program rather than having to learn a new one over the summer. I think it reduces the stress levels quite a bit. Also, I don't think the judges would penalize more for a repeat program. IMO that is quite an odd statement.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I agree that if there ever was a time to repeat a program it is at the olympics. You want to be comfortable, you want to be skating a program you know like the back of your hand. The olympic season is not the time to take risks. If a skater finds something that works, i think it is a good plan for them to stick with it, even if it causes slightly more boredom to the average viewer. Hey, it worked for Sale and Pellitier, Plushenko and Shizuka

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I love, love, love Patrick's FP so if he wants to make it his signature piece that's just fine by me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I agree that if there ever was a time to repeat a program it is at the olympics. You want to be comfortable, you want to be skating a program you know like the back of your hand. The olympic season is not the time to take risks. If a skater finds something that works, i think it is a good plan for them to stick with it, even if it causes slightly more boredom to the average viewer. Hey, it worked for Sale and Pellitier, Plushenko and Shizuka
    Worked? I thought that was one of the reason they lost to B/S? besides the program itself being a total crap.

Custom Title
    ^^

Yes, didn't Sale and Pelletier get criticized for using a 3-year old program? And I think the criticism was warranted--it was an old program that didn't show how much they had improved since then, even a regession to the eyes of some. And let's face it: Love Story wasn't exactly a masterpiece either. If only they had skated their Orchid LP at the Olympics! THAT was a program (if skated cleanly) that would have warranted the gold over Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    ^^
    If only they had skated their Orchid LP at the Olympics! THAT was a program (if skated cleanly) that would have warranted the gold over Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.
    I agree. But using same music for championships,( if more comfortable for the contestants) is strategy which in a comps is necessary. Sasha Cohen used Roti's R&J to death, in comps and exhibitions. Yet she is an Oly silver medalist.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Well, she better not do it again, that's all I can say! (And I speak as a fan.)

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    ^We'll know if she does at Skate America.

Sticking with the same program for years seems to be a free skater thing. It seems like ice dancers rarely repeat their FDs. Hmm.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    which is one reason that dance is my favorite discipline, wonky judging and all.

Quote Originally Posted by oxade21 View Post
    I thought that was one of the reason they lost to B/S?
    But...but...I thought the reason they lost to Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze was...

Oh, never mind.

Custom Title
    I looooved Patrick's LP so the choice of keeping it is definitely fine by me (BTW I'm a sucker for Rachmaninov too). And the music formerly announced for Florent Amodio is not the right one according to Passion Patinage (yes, I'm still the ultimate Amodio fan as you can see lol).

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast