2009/2010 Programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2009/2010 Programs

antmanb

Record Breaker
:rock: That will be great! For this team, the Frenchier they go, the better their programs. :yes:

By the way, what exaclty is the man's part in a cancan?

He could wear a skirt and they could both be cancan dancers? :laugh:

If it's good enough for John Kerr (who will surely be back in his kilt for this season's OD)

Ant

Mamouchka

Rinkside
I would love to see Brian convert one of his exhibition programs to a LP. I enjoy his ex skates so much more than his competitive programs.

For the moment he not there no information concerning Brian's new programme nor on its departure or that it is, it is frustrating there:p.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That's odd, because in the 07/08 season they wnated to do it, but the ISU didn't validate it as being "folk"

I don't think it is folk either. But if Domina and Shabalin can get away with a waltz for every dance, I guess the can-can isn't that much of a stretch.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DelShoes weren't even World medalists yet at the start of the 2008-2009 season, which is probably why they couldn't pick the can-can. Now that they are former World Champions, they are in a more powerful position and may be given more latitude.

Of course DomShabs had no medal status either when they were allowed to do a waltz for this past season's OD, but the top Russian team seems to get a pass on whatever they choose to do. OTOH, even as World and Olympic medalists, B/A got shot down for their 07-08 Appalachian folk dance. Interesting that a group of European ISU judges can dictate what constitutes a folk dance in a non-European country.

Binthere

On the Ice
Interesting how there seems to be so little discussion of Pair programs? Is it because the information isn't out there yet? Or is it because it seems so few of the pairs over the past few years have made music choice an important part of what helps people remember them? Honestly, the last 'great' program that I can come up with associated with music was Shen/Zhao's Tosca.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There have been some pairs SP's since 2003 that I have really liked and can remember the music, but I haven't really fallen in love with the LP's. S&S Bollywood, Z&Z Riding on the Wings of Song (Mendelssohn) this year and Led Zeppelin's Kashmir in 2006 , I&B Adagio from 2006.

LP's, maybe S&S's The Mission. That's about it. T&M skated very, very well, but I can't remember the music.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Interesting how there seems to be so little discussion of Pair programs? Is it because the information isn't out there yet? Or is it because it seems so few of the pairs over the past few years have made music choice an important part of what helps people remember them? Honestly, the last 'great' program that I can come up with associated with music was Shen/Zhao's Tosca.
I haven't seen any information regarding the pairs, other than that Dube/Davison are sticking with Carmen (why?!?) and James/Bonheur with R&J for the LP (wish it would have been their Pink Floyd SP instead).

I actually remember several pairs programs from the past few years, and I don't think Shen and Zhao had the last great program. I'm not even sure when they did Tosca. Like Doris, I tend to prefer the SPs; I thought there were two really good ones in 2008-9, the Zhangs' and M/T's.

Re Del/Schoes, someone on FSUniverse wrote that the cancan is allowed under current ISU regulations. Apparently it's listed as a French country dance :).

Last edited:

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
OTOH, even as World and Olympic medalists, B/A got shot down for their 07-08 Appalachian folk dance. Interesting that a group of European ISU judges can dictate what constitutes a folk dance in a non-European country.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Talk about a bad loser!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
OTOH, even as World and Olympic medalists, B/A got shot down for their 07-08 Appalachian folk dance. Interesting that a group of European ISU judges can dictate what constitutes a folk dance in a non-European country.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Talk about a bad loser!

You must read the by-laws. The Gold Medal in Ice Dancing is reserved for European teams. It is their private domain. The Euro judges have the right to do anything in their powers to make sure the Gold medal will never go to a North American team. ;)

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
You must read the by-laws. The Gold Medal in Ice Dancing is reserved for European teams. It is their private domain. The Euro judges have the right to do anything in their powers to make sure the Gold medal will never go to a North American team. ;)

Ah yes, of course - thanks for reminding me. The quality of skating never even crosses the judges' minds.

Forgive me for being so silly. :laugh:

Alicja

On the Ice

Yes, I always knew that they only reason why Bourne/Kraatz won the World title was that Victor was born in Germany. :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, I always knew that they only reason why Bourne/Kraatz won the World title was that Victor was born in Germany. :laugh:

Yes, that is correct. But they also had to win several times - before receiving the title. ;)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Re Del/Schoes, someone on FSUniverse wrote that the cancan is allowed under current ISU regulations. Apparently it's listed as a French country dance :).

I just read this article as well ~ this is the absolute best news I've read thus far concerning programs ~ perfect. And, lol, of course it brings to mind Abitbol & Bernadis classic Can-Can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jobb92FM4H4 I hope D&S can live up to the incomparable precedent set by A&B!:agree:

If only Sarah hadn't ruptured her achilles tendon practicing the throw triple axel just a month prior to the 2006 Olympics, I sincerely believe they would have been the 2006 Olympic Bronze Medalits. Also, the same thing could be said of their 2002 Olympic LP to Chariots of Fire (my personal all-time favorite program of theirs btw). If Sarah had landed the throw triple axel, which she missed by that darn step out, they would have been the 2002 Olympic Bronze Medalists. In my humble opinion, of course.;)

I've been waiting for a man to be brave enough to shuck tradition & say they will be skating to hard rock for either his Olympic SP or LP. One can dream. Here are my suggestions: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxJ46HWXbA

By the way, some of my favorite professional skates were done by Bechke&Petrov (they skated to "Whole Lotta Love") & of course Kurt Browning, another Led Zeppelin fan. The one done to John Bonham's drums was incendiary! :rock:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by chuckm
Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat didn't even get to skate the OD of their choice (cancan) that season - it just wasn't allowed at the time. So they went and put together a better one (flamenco), and finished 6th in the OD at Worlds. The Kerrs, who had a great folk OD, were 8th. IMO, both teams should have been higher - yes, ahead of some of the NA teams for that part of the event. Seriously, I love Scott and Tessa, but Dark Eyes? They really should have picked something else.

I can't think of too many years in which NA teams were noticeably superior to the top European teams throughout the entire commpetition (which, as we all know, includes more than just the free dance). Some years it could have gone either way. But dance is subjective, and more prone to personal preferences and yes, to deal making. I find it hard to believe only countries from one side of the Atlantic engage in that sort of thing.

Bourne/Kraatz were great. V/M are already world medalists and can go very far if they stay healthy. D/W will be on the podium, if not next year than starting with the next Olympic cycle. B/A have achieved more in their career than their skating merits. No, I'll amend: than her skating merits.

Finally, Europe is not some monolithic entity. I know some might not think so, but the UK, France, Italy and Russia, etc. are separate countries. Really :p.

Nadine, I thought Sarah and Stephane were wonderful. Not sure they could have medalled at 2002 Olys - likely not - but I really enjoyed their performances over the years, esp. 2000 Worlds, they were so fun to watch.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Maybe we should create a "what music do you think Brian will skate to next season" poll and see who's roght!:laugh:
It won't be picked by TaT, that's for sure: Brian has apparently sorted out the LP choreo issue, and it's not going to be Tarasova.

seniorita

Record Breaker
So what his LP will be?Dont keep us in the dark:cool:
He will keep also his costume sp, or only the program?:biggrin:
Not tarasova is only good for him.