2009/2010 Programs | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2009/2010 Programs

Akiko, for me is one of the few figure skaters today that brings out the character of the music, moreso than the character of the story. I like that because it is original since people feel music differently.

Nakano brought out the character of Giselle in the first act before the heart attack. She did it well. Giselle is a joyful peasant girl before tragedy sets in, and Nakano showed that.

However, Akiko is on my list of volcanic skaters waiting to explode with vigor and freshness.

West Side Story is very fast pace. I will be looking for speed here.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
A bunch of program updates over at IN:

Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig: SP - soundtrack of Love, Actually (well, that's different); LP - Rachmaninoff (and that's not).

Stephen Carriere is keeping his LP, SP will be Carmina Burana. Is this the kind of music he should be skating to? I haven't seen much of him but it strikes me as way too dramatic for his style of skating and on-ice personality.

Emily Hughes is sticking with Gone With the Wind as the LP. SP is "Caprice Bohèmien" by Rachmaninoff. Just how many Rachmaninoff pieces will we be seeing next year anyway? It's getting worse than Carmen and Swan Lake combined.

I think it's been mentioned, but Kimmie Meissner's LP is R&J. Because we so needed another take on it.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I agree with everyone that buttercup just said......Now I am anxiously awaiting for who will be skating to Camen and Bolero!!

shine

Record Breaker
I actually think that she has a fair chance. Her musicality is outstanding, superior to any lady out there right now, including Kim. She has got rhythm, beautiful expressive arm movements. Suguri seemed off performance-wise during the last season, though she landed her jumps. Nakano is known for URs and generally only attempts 5 Triples each program.

If other skaters chose West Side Story, I would probably groan - but the music suits Akiko perfectly and she will make it great.

Thanks for the info!
I agree with everything you said here. Her Tango Exhibition program last year was simply exhilarating! I always wondered why she didn't turn it into her competitive program. IMO she also has one of the best steps out of all the ladies. I really wish she could make it to the Olympics because she has fought so long and so hard for the comeback and I personally like her a lot more than Nakano.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Great choices for Akiko! I agree her libertango was outstanding!
I'm especially thrilled about Andalucia. More skaters, including non-Japanese skaters, should work with Kenji Miyamoto.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Alissa revealed in Skating she will be keeping Dr. Z for her free and skating to Zorro for the short. I am elated with that choice. Her Don Quizote exhibiton was the best program she ever did and Zorro is very similar.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Alissa revealed in Skating she will be keeping Dr. Z for her free and skating to Zorro for the short. I am elated with that choice. Her Don Quizote exhibiton was the best program she ever did and Zorro is very similar.

OMG I'm so thrilled! She usually skates with more speed and freedom to faster music. Don Quixote, Qadduka, and La Bayadere were some of her best programs. I'm so anxious to see what she does with Zorro!

Final Flight
Johnny Weir - LP concept is Fallen Angel, no word on the exact music.

dying swan, love/war, fallen angel....all these cliché dramatic stories :frown2:

im getting tired.

p.s. all these music choices that are pubished and set are still so...hackneyed. i need something new! more variety! as beautiful as they portray it, i dont want another rendition of a piazzolla, a performance on rachmaninoff piano piece...bleh

I hope Akiko realizes that the 'love theme' (Tonight) is very fast paced and flowing throughout. It covers much more than simple romance. There is fear, anxiety, danger and the feeling to get out of that neighborhood. Can she do it? or will she make it a sugary ballet-like? We'll see.

There are many rhythms in that score. I hope she picks the ones that will work for her. I do like her skating.

evangeline

Record Breaker
dying swan, love/war, fallen angel....all these cliché dramatic stories :frown2:

im getting tired.

p.s. all these music choices that are pubished and set are still so...hackneyed. i need something new! more variety! as beautiful as they portray it, i dont want another rendition of a piazzolla, a performance on rachmaninoff piano piece...bleh

I have faith in David Wilson: hopefully he will choreograph something that's much more exciting than the sleep-inducing programs Johnny has been skating for the past couple of seasons.

But I do agree with your latter comment about the mundane music choices. I'm just surprised that Carmen hasn't been snapped up already...

seniorita

Record Breaker
what happened to the tango kind program Johnny would have?
I like fallen angel program they did with melissa and dennis though.
I'm just surprised that Carmen hasn't been snapped up already...
wait for the secret programs to get reveled :laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
But I do agree with your latter comment about the mundane music choices. I'm just surprised that Carmen hasn't been snapped up already...
I am quite sure Carmen will come too. Then we have Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, Shehezerade...

Brrr, please let someone have really good ideas.

Nothing wrong with Carmen if some skater could actually do something different with it.

Ask yourself, can a male skater get rid of that toreador outfit, and we can see an original interpretation of the music, and not a smidgeon of the opera story?

Can a female skater not wear a red dress, and show us an original interpretation of the music without trying to look sexy in the beginning of her program, and looking tragic at the end.

In between the opening macho or sexy programs and their endings, one will find the usual tricks which will be judged in the Tech and depending how well those scores go, confirmed in the PC scores, irregardless of musicality but strong on those few moments of macho and sexy interpretation.

Hope the Wilson/Weir team will get us away from the usual and obvious Carmen routines.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Nothing wrong with Carmen if some skater could actually do something different with it.
Hope the Wilson/Weir team will get us away from the usual and obvious Carmen routines.

How about Johnny as a tragic Carmen :laugh: Or perhaps Yuna as the Toreador :laugh:
Yes, skating needs such fresh new interpretations of Carmen like polar bears need more global warming :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plush did Toreador, Don Jose and Carmen impersonations in his program which i had found interesting at the time, but he fell for the opera story as all do.
Nevertheless, from all the usual suspect repertoire that appear in Olympic season I like carmen music most of all and i m not bored of it, I like it in singles only though..
Johnny for carmen would be really something new..

How about Johnny as a tragic Carmen :laugh: Or perhaps Yuna as the Toreador :laugh:
Yes, skating needs such fresh new interpretations of Carmen like polar bears need more global warming :)
Your missing the point, Janefan. I believe you want interpreted opera stories to be the same in skating - and nothing original Is that correct? Well then you have plenty of it in figure skating smidgeons of opera stories. You should be fine with Carmen in figure skating - nothing original is the way to go.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Your missing the point, Janefan. I believe you want interpreted opera stories to be the same in skating - and nothing original Is that correct? .

Um, no, that would NOT be correct. :)
I am fine with no attempt at telling a story. Likewise, I see nothing wrong with what Kat did with Carmen. In the end it all gets down to how well the program is skated - costumes and thematic interpretation can enhance or at times detract from a program.