Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: What music should Caroline Zhang skate to next season?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post

I'm also impressed that Caroline has selected her programs (at least the SP) and is already presumably training them so early in the year. .
    For skaters that do not tour it is not usuall for them to be picking music this early... but some of the top skaters who who some shows until june will not really start working on music and chreography until early-mid summer.

Custom Title

Chopin Etude

I think Caroline should consider this for a future SP (if indeed she already has her SP music for the 09-10 season)-- its a perfect speed, lightness and the piano melody is a nice variation from the usual violin music she chooses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3o-4PvXZN4

Ann Patrice McDonough skated to it for her SP at the 2002 Jr Worlds. I've never really seen Caroline glow in her programs (like she does for her exhibitions), but I think this would really let her skate euphorically while still expressing her graceful quality on the ice-- with a quicker tempo that shouldn't overwhelm her.

Welcome, Cornell08. Post often, post long!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I've never really seen Caroline glow in her programs (like she does for her exhibitions), but I think this would really let her skate euphorically while still expressing her graceful quality on the ice-- with a quicker tempo that shouldn't overwhelm her.
    When Caroline skates her exhibitions, she torments the audience with a glimpse of what figure skating really should look like.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I think Caroline should consider this for a future SP (if indeed she already has her SP music for the 09-10 season)-- its a perfect speed, lightness and the piano melody is a nice variation from the usual violin music she chooses.

Ann Patrice McDonough skated to it for her SP at the 2002 Jr Worlds. I've never really seen Caroline glow in her programs (like she does for her exhibitions), but I think this would really let her skate euphorically while still expressing her graceful quality on the ice-- with a quicker tempo that shouldn't overwhelm her.
    I think you're right. Nice pick! I wonder if there's other Chopin music that would work for the FP. The Fantaisie Impromptu maybe? I see Yamaguchi and Slutskaya used it. http://au.truveo.com/Kristi-Yamaguch.../id/3126023875

(Boy, what fabulous skating by Yamaguchi. A living swan!)

Mao and Yukari just used Fantaisie Impromptu last season... I can't really see Caroline doing it again, but Chopin is not a bad thought.

Custom Title
    I can't either, its also more of a LP piece than SP, but I do like it as music...just not so much for Caroline since it seems pretty overdone as of late

check out the etude though!

While I have a special fondness for piano (since that's what I play), I feel in general Caroline would do better with violin than piano.

I really *love* this beautiful violin adaptation of Chopin's nocturne:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsRup1iD_ME

It's sooooooooo gorgeous! Makes me want to cry. I think Caroline can really make it her own one day, when she's a little bit more mature and able to really express passion. This piece has elegance, melancholy, passion in spades. It's almost got her name written all over it. Has anyone ever skated to this violin adaptation?

I actually have both the piano etude and the violin nocturne on my ipod. While I like both, I think the violin nocturne is wayyyyy better for her to skate to, JMHO!

PB, I agree with your about Caroline's exhibitions. Nobody nowadays gives me shivers as much as her exhibitions, and it comes at some unexpected moments: upward-turned arms, a slight pause, a split jump, a spiral (okay, maybe this last is not so unexpected).

Custom Title
    I think I'm just sick of violin pieces being used...I actually think that because Caroline has mostly used violin, she should switch to piano. Her exhibitions have mostly been piano accompanied-- they're just so much lighter, and she seems much more unfettered skating to them. Oh, and thanks for the welcome, Mathman!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post

I really *love* this beautiful violin adaptation of Chopin's nocturne:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsRup1iD_ME
    First of all, the piano owns the violin (but don't take it to heart because I'm a piano player! ).

Secondly, that is one of my favourite Chopin pieces ever. I first heard it in 'The Pianist' and I play it all the time. It's nice to know there's someone out there who shares similar tastes as you do. The piano version is still the best, though, and Caroline will need oodles more expression before she can tackle this piece.

By the way, that is a great pick, too, cornell08! The beginning part sounds like another piece I have in mind for Caroline, but I'm blanking out on the name of it. It's either by Grieg or Chopin, or neither of them. I'll post it when I do remember.

I also think Caroline would do well skating to piano music. She's only ever skated to strings since she burst onto the scene.

I also think Caroline would do well skating to piano music. She's only ever skated to strings since she burst onto the scene.
    And guitar!

First of all, the piano owns the violin (but don't take it to heart because I'm a piano player! ).
    Psh no way!

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    And guitar!
    Which is strings as well...

I cant wait to see her new programs this season

Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Which is strings as well...
    Oh, yeah. Haha! For that matter, piano is also strings, lots of strings...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6