What music should Caroline Zhang skate to next season? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What music should Caroline Zhang skate to next season?

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, never heard of this piece before. And I studied German, I don't know what it means either. "Ziegeunerweise" -- any German speakers to enlighten us?

It's a very nice piece, really varied. Lots of texture. Lots of variety. Bold indeed.

I wonder if this is indeed the piece. I guess Z is not a common syllable to begin a song with, and German is not an unlikely candidate.

ETA: the fast movement at the end is familiar-sounding, so I have heard it before. And it's very fast! Good for footwork and maybe also spins.

If Ziegeunerweisen is it, as you all suggest, I bet she will keep the slow movement in the middle. It seems to fit her well. It's a very exciting piece. I like it.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Wow, never heard of this piece before. And I studied German, I don't know what it means either. "Ziegeunerweise" -- any German speakers to enlighten us?

It's a very nice piece, really varied. Lots of texture. Lots of variety. Bold indeed.

I wonder if this is indeed the piece. I guess Z is not a common syllable to begin a song with, and German is not an unlikely candidate.

ETA: the fast movement at the end is familiar-sounding, so I have heard it before. And it's very fast! Good for footwork and maybe also spins.

If Ziegeunerweisen is it, as you all suggest, I bet she will keep the slow movement in the middle. It seems to fit her well. It's a very exciting piece. I like it.

I think Ann Patrice has used this music before. Caroline is a great violinist, so I'm 99% positive she chose Zigeurnerweisen. Very nice piece for her.

feraina

Record Breaker
I think Ann Patrice has used this music before. Caroline is a great violinist, so I'm 99% positive she chose Zigeurnerweisen. Very nice piece for her.

She did say a fast violin piece at one point, so it all makes sense.

Is there a link to Ann Patrice's performance?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Zigeunerweisen!!! OMG!

I have had that piece for several months now on my iPod. I love the drama of that music, and i always thought it was excellent for a skater to use. It is kind of like Dark Eyes, only better. I think this is a good choice for Caroline. She will have to skate faster, and i loved her Spanish Gypsy SP.

Wrlmy

Medalist
But most importantly, who will choreograph Zigeunerweisen? I'm hoping either Sarah Kawahara or Tom Dickson. I want Caroline de-Nicoled.

LeCygne

Final Flight
She did say a fast violin piece at one point, so it all makes sense.

Yeah I remember that, but I think it was for the LP? I hope she just changed her mind or something...

But most importantly, who will choreograph Zigeunerweisen? I'm hoping either Sarah Kawahara or Tom Dickson. I want Caroline de-Nicoled.

I couldn't agree more. Annnd, what will she wear? I'd love to see her in black, or a dramatic red...Or a combo of the two. These two colors are probably too prevalent on the ice but they'll be different on Caroline. A nice change from the pastels.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Thanks for posting the clip.

I don't particularly care for the piece, but certain sections are fast and if Caroline relates well to this music, I'm glad she's using it. The middle section is especially moody and dramatic - if Caroline plans on using it, she will really have to up her presentation.

I'm guessing she'll pick a faster number for her SP, and a slower, balletic, more atypical piece for the LP, similar to what she did with 'Spanish Gypsy' and 'Ave Maria'. And yes, please get thyself away from Lori, Caroline. :p

I'm also impressed that Caroline has selected her programs (at least the SP) and is already presumably training them so early in the year. Is this the norm for other skaters as well? I suppose she wants to know the programs like the back of her hand in time for the Olympics - I have a feeling Caroline is the type of skater who puts out in competition what she usually does in practice.

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm also impressed that Caroline has selected her programs (at least the SP) and is already presumably training them so early in the year. Is this the norm for other skaters as well?

She started looking for programs since before World's, a good thing, too, since two months later she is still missing the LP.

I suppose she wants to know the programs like the back of her hand in time for the Olympics - I have a feeling Caroline is the type of skater who puts out in competition what she usually does in practice.

Yes. Except she slows down when she's under pressure in key competitions.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm also impressed that Caroline has selected her programs (at least the SP) and is already presumably training them so early in the year. .

For skaters that do not tour it is not usuall for them to be picking music this early... but some of the top skaters who who some shows until june will not really start working on music and chreography until early-mid summer.

cornell08

Final Flight
Chopin Etude

I think Caroline should consider this for a future SP (if indeed she already has her SP music for the 09-10 season)-- its a perfect speed, lightness and the piano melody is a nice variation from the usual violin music she chooses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3o-4PvXZN4

Ann Patrice McDonough skated to it for her SP at the 2002 Jr Worlds. I've never really seen Caroline glow in her programs (like she does for her exhibitions), but I think this would really let her skate euphorically while still expressing her graceful quality on the ice-- with a quicker tempo that shouldn't overwhelm her.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I've never really seen Caroline glow in her programs (like she does for her exhibitions), but I think this would really let her skate euphorically while still expressing her graceful quality on the ice-- with a quicker tempo that shouldn't overwhelm her.

When Caroline skates her exhibitions, she torments the audience with a glimpse of what figure skating really should look like.

I think Caroline should consider this for a future SP (if indeed she already has her SP music for the 09-10 season)-- its a perfect speed, lightness and the piano melody is a nice variation from the usual violin music she chooses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3o-4PvXZN4

Ann Patrice McDonough skated to it for her SP at the 2002 Jr Worlds. I've never really seen Caroline glow in her programs (like she does for her exhibitions), but I think this would really let her skate euphorically while still expressing her graceful quality on the ice-- with a quicker tempo that shouldn't overwhelm her.
I think you're right. Nice pick! I wonder if there's other Chopin music that would work for the FP. The Fantaisie Impromptu maybe? I see Yamaguchi and Slutskaya used it. http://au.truveo.com/Kristi-Yamaguchi-TP-Fantaisie-Impromptu-by-Chopin/id/3126023875

(Boy, what fabulous skating by Yamaguchi. A living swan!)