Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What music should Caroline Zhang skate to next season?

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    I know it's been used a lot, but the Love Theme from Spartacus is a very powerful peice of music, with lots of strong passages and smooth, dreamy ones as well.

Any selection from A Misummer's Night Dream would be enchanting. The scherzo is bright and sparkling, while the nocturn is lush and swoon-worthy...

Björk "All is full of love" I'd love for someone to pull this off... if someone has I am out of the loop...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    OK, I've got it. Feraina, please make sure Caroline or her choreographer listen to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Tan-Dun/dp/B0002S945W

Tan Dun is a famous Chinese composer now living in the USA. Listen to the snippet of the "For the World" theme and imagine that mixed up with the wonderful rhythm Hero overture or Swift Sword.

He also did Crouching Tiger... but it should be especially inspiring for Caroline to skate to "Hero" music in an Olympic season!

Okay, I think I've got it. The Barber violin concerto is a very lyrical 20th century composition that could very well suit Caroline's needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCj8G...eature=related

It has a great melody that carries through the entire piece, and it's convenient because it starts right at the very beginning (no long intro). It first starts picking up the tempo around 2:30, and the climax starts around 5:15 (Caroline's spiral would be great at 5:40).

But if it's a bit much (there is a lot of percussion there), she can just skip over that section, the piece has plenty of other good parts. The only other fast part is 8:15 (recap of 2:30) and Hilary Hahn plays a bit faster than it should go, IMO.

The rest is all beautiful melody that Caroline can skate to her heart's content. The woodwind phrases that end the piece (10:20) would be perfect for Caroline's style as well. That way she can start lyrically and end lyrically but show some big climaxes in the middle.

Custom Title
    I maybe alone on this one but I think Tara Lipinski's 98 SP (Anastasia) and LP (Rainbow) would fit Caroline Zhang perfectly

Custom Title
    Hmm... and the sections she used from Sense and Sensibility were nice too. But probably not a great idea to set up a "comparison"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ANW View Post
    I maybe alone on this one but I think Tara Lipinski's 98 SP (Anastasia) and LP (Rainbow) would fit Caroline Zhang perfectly
    For goodness' sakes, please no.

Anitra's Dance would do wonderfully. I still have to listen to the other suggestions...

...and come up with some of my own.

Custom Title
    I know people will say "Caroline and Tara, no way!!!" But I always think there is something in Caroline reminding me of Tara, I remember two years ago I was watching SA on tv, at some moments Caroline was so reminiscent of Tara, especially when she smiles. I wish I could find some pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    For goodness' sakes, please no.

Anitra's Dance would do wonderfully. I still have to listen to the other suggestions...

...and come up with some of my own.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    The Gadfly suite is very good for her.
    I would love to see her skate to choplin if she can bring some emotion to her face.

Custom Title

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    Howzabout the Rap version of "Redneck Woman" ?

What about Lark Ascending? I just went to a Vaughen Wiliams concert tonight, including Lark Ascending. It's such beautiful music. I know Yu-na did it a couple of years ago (and it remains my favorite of Yu-na's programs), but it will be three seasons by next year. I think Caroline would bring a very different look to Lark Ascending than Yu-na, and the music really suits her. Skaters have common music choices all the time, like Giselle last year, so three years apart shouldn't be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gocaroline View Post
    Oh, nice suggestion. Similar to Lark Ascending. But I like this version better (really cute cartoon):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1v0xvODU7E
    I think maybe Lark Ascending is a little prettier, but also a little more challenging to skate to, though of course Caroline wouldn't have to choose the same selection or the same choreography as Yu-na (who said she found the choreography a little too hard).

I'm still listening to the other suggestions. It would be nice if everyone can post a specific link for his/her suggestions, and also point out exactly which song(s) in an album. I'm feeling overwhelmed!

Medalist
    LP: Water Fountain / "The Dancer" - David Foster

SP: The Last Mohican (Instrumental) - Indiogenes

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    What about Lark Ascending? I just went to a Vaughen Wiliams concert tonight, including Lark Ascending. It's such beautiful music. I know Yu-na did it a couple of years ago (and it remains my favorite of Yu-na's programs), but it will be three seasons by next year. I think Caroline would bring a very different look to Lark Ascending than Yu-na, and the music really suits her. Skaters have common music choices all the time, like Giselle last year, so three years apart shouldn't be a big deal.
    I went to hear The Lark Ascending in concert, too, and I was just about enraptured when the lead violinist started playing. It's really the most beautiful piece of music, with different shades and tones to it. The cool thing about this piece is that it's so quintessentially English (as was the composer), but certain sections sound almost like East Asian music. I'd love for Caroline to skate to it, but I feel it's too closely linked to Yu-Na (and indeed she sampled practically all of the major movements), and Caroline would suffer in comparison. Yu-Na really did such a sublime job with it (I wish she had skated it completely clean at least once) - I still feel it's her best choreographed LP ever.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast