Thread: Swine Flu - Pandemic?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Swine Flu - Pandemic?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...MM_EQD97PLN881

I first heard about this on the news earlier tonight. In another article, the flu has spread to Kansas and possibly New York. The speed at which it's spreading is slightly terrifying. Should we be worried?

I'm not worried... I'm thinking it's more mass [media] hysteria than anything else.

not saying the flu is serious and these people aren't really suffering... just don't see the whole planet getting wiped out (after all of the other flus that didn't do as much damage as predicted it's hard to take the latest issue to be as big a deal as the media wants to sell it as)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'm not worried... I'm thinking it's more mass [media] hysteria than anything else.

not saying the flu is serious and these people aren't really suffering... just don't see the whole planet getting wiped out (after all of the other flus that didn't do as much damage as predicted it's hard to take the latest issue to be as big a deal as the media wants to sell it as)
    I agree with you about the mass hysteria coming from the media. I don't believe that the human race is going to be wiped out. 81 people have already died and 1300 others have been infected. Those statistics make me a bit nervous. Throw in the speed at which it seems to be spreading...

the avian flu from a few years ago did that as well in Asia then it got over here and infected a few people... the deaths are occurring more in Mexico than anywhere else. While the US Health Care system is not financially all that great we're better off than many of the countries out there. Canada, too, is better prepared to fight off these things..

Now about 20 people in NYC have tested positive for the virus. I live just an hour and a half away and my dad works in a NYC hospital, so yeah I'm getting kind of worried.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Now about 20 people in NYC have tested positive for the virus. I live just an hour and a half away and my dad works in a NYC hospital, so yeah I'm getting kind of worried.
    I'm worried because Mexico is such a popular tourist destination, especially this time of year as university students are finished/finishing exams. I can't count how many of my friends go somewhere hot for some fun in the sun before starting their summer jobs. Since swine flu seems to be extremely contagious, I'm sure it will continue to spread. Also, the majority of fatalities have been people between 20-40 which is apparently a feature of a pandemic. On the other hand, now people are more aware of the risk and more likely to be tested for swine flu if they are having flu-like symptoms. I think in more developed countries, there might not be as many fatalities because there are more resources available. I guess only time will tell.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Well I don't think it is going to have the impact that the Influenza of 1918 had after World War 1 - some 40 million people died. It is good to warn us and let us take precautions. One thing we have in our favour now is the media - people are more informed and educated about what precautions to take.

More info on the Influenza of 1918:

http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/