Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Swine Flu - Pandemic?

Novartis just announced that they've developed a vaccine for swine flu. It's going into clinical testing and they anticipate having it available in the fall, which is about the right time for the 'real' flu season for the Northern Hemisphere.

Rinkside
    I hope that's true! I have a girl starting college in the fall and I cannot imagine a better place for any infectious virus to spread than a dorm. Scary!!

Actually, the dorms aren't as bad as preschool and elementary schools. College students are old enough to understand how viruses and bacteria are spread.

I've never gotten a flu shot and I did get it this past year. Since I am getting on a plane just before Thanksgiving (going to Vegas to help celebrate my older friend's 50th), I plan to get the flu shot this year since the confined space and just general air travel makes people more susceptible.

While swine flu is dangerous, it really hasn't proven itself to be more lethal than other flus.

agreed on all counts, heyang!

that being said I'm still not convinced the flu vaccine works and my dad is a med tech and swears by them. but since he's had to get one every year he's gotten teh flu... and he used to NEVER get sick. granted he works with sick people every day, and that makes him more likely to get something, but I'm not convinced the flu would be any WORSE for him if he didn't get the shot.

This is soooo overhyped.

I haven't taken any kind of vaccine in maybe 30 years. If you read the ingredients, you will not take the vaccine. Keep a good immune system and you will never have to worry about germs or viruses. Btw, vaccine's do make the pharmaceuticals lots of money. Hence the overhype.

If you are on medicare, you pay nothing.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    yes but there are so many who run and buy tamiflu and whatever else in dozens..
    If you read the actual details , the deaths of this flu are mostly too elderly people and sensitive cases. When a young person died they found it was also something else the problem.
    Normal deaths of flu in a year reach 36.000 and nobody really get anxious.
    Too much fuss to terror people.

The big deal about this flu is how quickly it's spread [even where it is not flu season] and that it's a new variant. It's still going on - it's just not being talked about as much by the media right now.

Flu vaccines are always hit or miss - they are guessing what strains may hit. I don't know how often they have been correct. Even if you still get the flu after having the vaccine, it's supposedly not as bad as compared to not being vaccinated.

I know I've gotten the flu the last couple of years - never got the vaccine shots. The last 2 years were probably the worst because the 'off' feelings lasted longer even though the major symptoms were over in 3 days or less.

If I wasn't getting on a plane during the beginning of flu season and right before the holidays, I'd probably risk not getting a shot.

It will be interesting to see if this flu repeats the pattern of the 1918(?) pandemic. There was a brief outbreak and everyone thought it was 'gone', but it returned with a vengeance during the official flu season.

Mrs. Roman Kostomarov icedancingnut31's Avatar
    I am just so sick of people worrying about the swine flu. Yes its bad but most people who get it don't die. The people who did die either came from developing countries with a weak healthcare system which did not have the resources to treat them, already had a weakened immune system from something else, or were young children or elderly people who are more susceptible to dangerous illnesses than most people. I went to a doctor and a nurse said the Swine flu was nothing to worry about. I go to a division 1 university with over 40,000 students and the administration is sending us constant updates about it which scares people more than informs them. I also don't see that many people wearing face masks but if I see one I try to stay away from them and sanitize my hands.

But people if you are really worried that you have the swine flu just go to this website and you will find out :http://doihaveswineflu.org/

Quote Originally Posted by tricia90 View Post
    I hope that's true! I have a girl starting college in the fall and I cannot imagine a better place for any infectious virus to spread than a dorm. Scary!!
    I lived in a dorm when this hype started and no one I know who lived there got sick. Don't worry.
    Last edited by icedancingnut31; 06-20-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3