Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu - Pandemic?

I get my news from NPR, and I haven't noticed any hysteria there...

One of my co-workers said she had a restless night because she was watching so much coverage of the swine flu.

I don't mind the media reminding people of the preventative measures, especially the one about staying home if you're feeling flu like symptoms. However, I'm also of the opinion that you're either going to get it or not and if you do, you should make sure you seek treatment. No point in worrying about it and barricading yourself at home to avoid it.

NPR, I think, is the closest to REPORTING that we've had in a long while. The news, like all other types of media, is completely marketted these days. This is why you have FoxNews with the right wing slant and MSNBC with a more left wing (they've really swung that way in the last year, which bummed me out as I preferred them to CNN or Fox). All sides say they're unbiased, but the be all end all are ratings and lets face it people want news reported so that they will rarely disagree (and while I might vote more like FoxNews, I certainly don't always agree with them, hence my not watching. Those people are over the top and annoying) the dollar rules all - don't let any "journalist" fool ya.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Well I don't think it is going to have the impact that the Influenza of 1918 had after World War 1 - some 40 million people died. It is good to warn us and let us take precautions. One thing we have in our favour now is the media - people are more informed and educated about what precautions to take.

More info on the Influenza of 1918:

http://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    NPR, I think, is the closest to REPORTING that we've had in a long while.
    OMG! Toni! You're actually supporting the admittedly very liberal NPR?! What's this world coming to!

Seriously, I'd have liked NPR to be a bit less liberal, or to have another news source that would be as good at reporting news but with a slight conservative slant. Can't have everything though...

As far as I've heard, just about every person who has gotten H1N1 was either in Mexico or came into contact with someone who had been there recently. The largest cluster is linked to a group of students in Queens who were in Mexico for spring break. Most of their relatives have not even gotten sick.

LOL - we've been blaming one of our co-workers for every sneeze and sniffle. He was in Cancun on vacation. It's not him - he's been back to work for 2 weeks and hasn't sneezed/coughed in front of any of us. If anything, everyone else is sneezing due to seasonal allergies right now.

However, I plan to get a flu shot for the 1st time this year. As with the 1918 pandemic, the virus returned during the winter flu season and caught people unawares because they thought it had passed. The current weather in the Northern Hemisphere might be playing a role in preventing it's spread - for some reason, flu viruses are more prevalent during the winter months.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    As far as I've heard, just about every person who has gotten H1N1 was either in Mexico or came into contact with someone who had been there recently. The largest cluster is linked to a group of students in Queens who were in Mexico for spring break. Most of their relatives have not even gotten sick.
    The flu is starting to spread around thos who haven't gone to Mexico. In BC, there are 3 cases of it being spread. I think there will probably be more and more cases of it spreading.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

2010 Vancouver Olympics May Be In Jeopardy.."

If the new "Swine" Flu or whatever it is called now becomes pandemic it may have a negative impact on the 2010 Games here in Vancouver. The media has already stated that people will stay away from attending the games if the flu breaks out again in the Fall leading up to the 2010 Games. It's going to be bad enough for the games with the economy the way it is. I have a feeling our Olympics are doomed after all....

Custom Title
    I heard that you can take Tamiflu ahead of time to try to prevent getting the flu. If this is getting worse, I think I may do that.

Custom Title
    Good luck getting some Tamiflu. The hospital where I work has recently made a policy in which Tamiflu is placed under restricted use. Only cases that has been confirmed by the infectious disease physician and director of pharmacy are allowed to use Tamiflu.

Quote Originally Posted by gocaroline View Post
    I heard that you can take Tamiflu ahead of time to try to prevent getting the flu. If this is getting worse, I think I may do that.
    You really don't want to take antibiotics unless you're sick. You run the risk of it not being effective when you really need it - superviruses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    OMG! Toni! You're actually supporting the admittedly very liberal NPR?! What's this world coming to!

Seriously, I'd have liked NPR to be a bit less liberal, or to have another news source that would be as good at reporting news but with a slight conservative slant. Can't have everything though...
    yes they are liberal and what not, but their style of reporting the NEWS vs OPINION is actually easier for me to handle... with the television networks they are almost winking at one another when they pretend to report "news"

NPR is less sensationalism as well.

actually I hate news reports period... if it weren't for the fact that we need to know what's going on...

Custom Title
    the first global flu epidemic in 41 years:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/un_un_swine_flu

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    You really don't want to take antibiotics unless you're sick. You run the risk of it not being effective when you really need it - superviruses, etc.
    You are absolutely correct that we shouldn't do anything to encourage more rapid development of resistant flu strains, which misuse of Tamiflu could cause. But the flu is a viral infection, not bacterial. So Tamiflu is an antiviral medication, not an antibiotic.

FWIW, I think we can never have too many PSAs about hand washing, coughing into your sleeve instead of your hand, and such. I'm in health behavior, but it's all public health.

I never cease to be disgusted by the number of otherwise seemingly intelligent people who don't do Hygiene 101 (and just good manners). I have seen people leave the restroom without washing hands even at the local health department and in our school of public health! I mean people wearing ID badges, not just the general public.

Susan

we've had a few cases here in Alaska... first one that has caused people to sit up and take notice was reported last night... someone who has not travelled outside is sick.. meaning someone brought it in... dun dun dun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast