2009 - 2010 Team Envelopes | Golden Skate

2009 - 2010 Team Envelopes

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The 2009 - 2010 team envelope criteria have been published,

http://www.usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=41936

but the actual envelopes have not been announced. I am not sure why the USFSA is so late. Based on the criteria, the A envelope is looking like this.

Men ........ Tier 1 Jeremy, Evan
................ Tier 2 Brandon, Johnny

Ladies ..... Tier 1 Alissa
................. Tier 2 Rachael

Pairs ...... Tier 1 Keuna / Rockney
............... Tier 2 Caydee / Jeremy

Dance ...... Tier 1 Meryl / Charlie, Tanith / Ben
.................. Tier 2 none

Nigel

On the Ice
The 2009 - 2010 team envelope criteria have been published,

http://www.usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=41936

but the actual envelopes have not been announced. I am not sure why the USFSA is so late. Based on the criteria, the A envelope is looking like this.

Men ........ Tier 1 Jeremy, Evan
................ Tier 2 Brandon, Johnny

Ladies ..... Tier 1 Alissa
................. Tier 2 Rachael

Pairs ...... Tier 1 Keuna / Rockney
............... Tier 2 Caydee / Jeremy

Dance ...... Tier 1 Meryl / Charlie, Tanith / Ben
.................. Tier 2 none

The levels have now been divided into tiers. But, what is the purpose of the tiers? Men and Dance seem to be reasonable in their divisions in terms of tiers, but ladies and to a lesser extent, pairs...where the tier 2 individuals placed higher at Worlds than tier 1....not sure if that it is necessary to have subdivided the levels. Is there any documentation from GCouncil last spring that explains the tier structure?

enlight78

Medalist
I wonder sometimes had the USFSA pay any attention to figure skating in the past two years. Their teir one and teir two requirements are quite bogus in relation. This year being a grand prix champion, medaling in the grand prix final or 4CC; being top six at worlds was equally if sometimes not more difficult than winning nationals.(Especially in the ladies) No wonder the ISU is no longer funding Skate America:p

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Very good, Sylvia. Thank you. :)

I wonder sometimes had the USFSA pay any attention to figure skating in the past two years. Their teir one and teir two requirements are quite bogus in relation.

Well, let's just say I do not totally agree with the A envelope as now appears to be shaping up. :unsure:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I'm guessing tiers were added as a way to deal with a drop in attendance / funding. This way they don't have to necessarily drop the payouts to their best skaters, nor do they have to push more skaters down to a lower envelope, they just subdivided the envelopes so they can pay out less to the lower tiers.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Well, talk about timing! ;) Someone just passed along this press release to me... the online version should be published soon on the USFS site and Icenetwork.

ETA link to the online press release: U.S. Figure Skating Announces 2009-10 Team Envelopes

U.S. FIGURE SKATING ANNOUNCES 2009-10 TEAM ENVELOPES
– 102 ATHLETES NAMED TO TEAM USA –

Colorado Springs, Colo. (April 28, 2009) – U.S. Figure Skating announced today the individuals and teams that will compose the A, B and C team envelopes for the 2009-10 season. Those athletes assigned to the Reserve team envelope will be announced at a later date.

The envelope level is primarily determined by the athlete’s performance in international and U.S. Figure Skating competitions during the previous season, and is used to determine funding levels. It is not used as a strict guideline for selections to international competitions.

Last edited:

kittyjake5

On the Ice
This may seem like a silly question but why do the Men get 4 A envelopes and the Women only 2 A envelopes.

gkelly

Record Breaker
This may seem like a silly question but why do the Men get 4 A envelopes and the Women only 2 A envelopes.

Because more men than women met the criteria for team A.

See the link in the first post in the thread for what those criteria are.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

I have another silly question. What happened to the tiers?

As Tier of the Ten Tribes, I give you back your life.
Mine is now forfeit. :biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that the group A people get 2 GP assignments and the group B and C people only get 1?

Wrlmy

Medalist
I don't understand how Alexe and DeeDee made team B while Angela only made team C. She did pretty well in JGP. And I thought Katrina was going to retire, but she's still listed. Is she going to stay?

Trewyn

Medalist
I think that the group A people get 2 GP assignments and the group B and C people only get 1?

No way! It's got nothing to do with GP assignments I think. GP depends mostly on World Ranking. For example; Ashley, Rachael and Caroline were in team B last year and they all got 2 GP assignments. Otoh not all the skaters from B and C are guaranteed a GP assignment. I think Becky and Alexe are guaranteed one because they medaled at the JGPF. We're going to have to wait until late May/ beginning of June for certainty about who gets how many GP's.
That also answers Wrlmy's question; Alexe medaled at the JGPF (Angela didn't) and DeeDee is US Jr Champ.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How is this related to GP assignment?
The envelope levels are NOT related to GP (or any other) international assignments -- see the bolded sentence below (from the press release quoted above):
The envelope level is primarily determined by the athlete’s performance in international and U.S. Figure Skating competitions during the previous season, and is used to determine funding levels. It is not used as a strict guideline for selections to international competitions.

The ISU publishes their own specific guidelines for Grand Prix selection that have nothing to do with countries' respective Nationals results. ETA: I've started a new thread for the 2009-10 ISU Senior Grand Prix selection guidelines: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27734

Last edited:

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
So what purpose do these designations serve if they are not directly related to GP assignments?

Is this just a ranking system for US skaters?

Trewyn

Medalist
It is very important to the skaters; it depends on what team they are in how much funding they get from the USFSA. So it's really a financial issue. (I think)