2009 - 2010 Team Envelopes | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2009 - 2010 Team Envelopes

For some host federations, the most important thing in the GP is to make the GPF. To ensure that happens, those hosts carefully select skaters/teams that their own skaters/teams will be able to beat.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That's what its all about!!. Watch Japan Fed in their selection for NHK
The Finals are the BIG competition and there is only one way to get there and strategy in the Host country is very helpful.

If the USFS puts Flatt, Zhang, and Nagasu in the SA, and Kim and Kostner or Nakano show up, goodbye Finals to the USA. No?

Mathman,

Thank you for the answer but I wonder about you math.
why 10% of 200,000 is $20,000 for Rachel, Caroline, Jeremy and Evan and 15% of 200,000 is $30,000 for Tanith & Ben and Denny & Barrett.

No, it's 15% for each singles skater and 20% for each pairs and dance team. It is explained in detail on page 9 of this document:

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=911

If you count in the supposed $10,000 they received for the gala the amount comes to $30,000 for the above mention single skaters and $40,000 for the above mention teams.

The skaters who participated in the competition did not receive extra money for doing the gala. The extra $10,000 (singles) and $15,000 (pairs) were for the guest skaters who came just for the gala but did not skate in the competition. I think the invited guests were Lambiel, Lepisto, Savchenko/Szolkowy and Kerr/Kerr.

For some host federations, the most important thing in the GP is to make the GPF. To ensure that happens, those hosts carefully select skaters/teams that their own skaters/teams will be able to beat.

Boooooo! I hope they lose.

The champion's attitude is, set your best warriors before me that I may slay them!

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come. :bow:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That's what its all about!!. Watch Japan Fed in their selection for NHK.

In ladies, Japan has no reason to tremble before the prospect of competition. I bet they select Miki Ando from 1-3, Mao Asada from 4-6, and another strong skater like Suzuki. (Also Mirai Nagasu.)

The Finals are the BIG competition...

I truly believe that the USFSA feels that, no, the Olympics is the BIG competition.

Joesitz said:
...there is only one way to get there and strategy in the Host country is very helpful.
Cowards and scoundrels all! :disagree:

Joesitz said:
If the USFS puts Flatt, Zhang, and Nagasu in the SA, and Kim and Kostner or Nakano show up, goodbye Finals to the USA. No?

If Caroline Zhang finds herself in such worthy competition, I hope she beats on her chest and shouts,

"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll;
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul." :rock:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Does anyone know when the rosters will be announced?
It should be sometime after the Grand Prix selection meeting. I just posted the dates I've heard in the GP thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27734&page=3

A total of 3 skaters have been removed from the Team C Tier 1 envelope now. In addition to Katrina Hacker and Brittney Rizo:
(5/1/09) - Senior men's skater Curran Oi has announced he will not compete in the 2009-10 season and, thus, has been removed from the team envelope.

All three will be starting college full-time this fall. Here are articles about their respective decisions:

Hacker and Rizo: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090501&content_id=64386&vkey=ice_news

Curran Oi: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090502&content_id=64388&vkey=ice_news

efreedman

On the Ice
She has grown a lot from last year till now, certainly more so than 2 1/2 inches. If anything, it appears as if Rachael has reached a plateau in terms of development - ditto Ashley. Caroline is now as tall as Rachael and Joannie, if not taller, and is probably around the same height as Mao and Yu-Na. I'm worried that, at this rate, she might develop up until around 5'6 or 5'8. This would be fine if it added more power and height to Caroline's jumps, but as she relies very much on the winding up technique, I wonder how she will get herself up into the air if she continues to grow exponentially.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Caroline may get to 5'5" or taller. She actually grew 4 inches and is now 5'3". Her older sister is about 5'7" or perhaps taller. When I stood next to Caroline at Nationals, I remember thinking that she had gotten quite a bit taller, which she confirmed later in interviews. The question is, can she get away from her unorthodox toe pick jump technique that she probably no longer needs?

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't read through all the discussion, but why is Emily Hughes not on one of the lists?

I am not too familier with these lists and stuff so I appologize if this is a newbie question--I am one.

I found a list on the usfsa site and Kimmie is mentioned--Team C but still--she wasn't at nationals like Emily, so why wasn't Emily on the team as well?

Michelle'sFan

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't read through all the discussion, but why is Emily Hughes not on one of the lists?

I am not too familier with these lists and stuff so I appologize if this is a newbie question--I am one.

I found a list on the usfsa site and Kimmie is mentioned--Team C but still--she wasn't at nationals like Emily, so why wasn't Emily on the team as well?

Michelle'sFan

Emily Hughes did not compete at 2009 Nationals. She withdrew, citing injury, about a week beforehand. She also withdrew from 2008 Nationals.

At least Kimmie scored more than 130 points at each of her two GP events and is #43 on the Season's Best list; since she is also in the top 24 on the ISU Ranking list, she is guaranteed at least one GP event this coming season.. Emily scored only 115.48 at TEB---the fifth lowest score in the GP series---and she fell out of the top 75 on the SB list, making her ineligible for GP events next season.

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
Thanks for the explanination chuckm.

What I typed was kind of confusing sorry: I knew that Emily wasn't at Nationals, but since Kimmie wasn't either, I couldn't understand why Kimmie was listed and Emily wasn't.

That makes a lot more since. Thanks!

Here's to hoping Emily can come back in the coming season--she'll have a lot of competition!

Michelle'sFan

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think any National results are considered in the qualifications for the GPs.

The USFS doesn't have to submit the names of any skater they feel is not ready for the GP (those who finish at or near the bottom at Nationals). That's the only way Nationals 'qualify' skaters for the GP.

Neither Hughes nor Meissner competed at Nationals, but their international events in the previous season may impact their qualifications.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Meissner (and Bebe Liang) are in Team C due to the following envelope criterion (link to all the criteria is posted in post #1 of this thread):
"Athletes that were in the Team A Envelope the previous year and plan on continuing to compete will automatically be placed in Team C – Tier 1 if they do not meet the criteria for Team A or Team B."

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The Reserve Team envelope athletes were announced today at: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=43039

(I've added 2009 U.S. Nationals placements below.)

MEN: Parker Pennington S8, Tommy Steenberg S10, Dennis Phan S11, *Eliot Halverson S13, Douglas Razzano S14, Scott Smith S-wd, Alexander Aiken J7, *Andrew Gonzales J8, *Michael Chau J9, *Jay Yostanto N4

LADIES: *Laney Diggs S10, Joelle Forte S12, *Taylor Firth S13, Molly Oberstar S15, Tenile Victorsen S17, *Karen Zhou S19, Emily Hughes S-wd, *Samantha Cesario J6, Nina Jiang N4

PAIRS: Lepzinski/Burgess S9, Paetsch/Meekins S10, *Vollmer/Sidhu N5, *Fujimoto/Barsi-Rhyne N7, *Pipkin/Dunie Neustadt N8, *Duarte/Grafton N9

DANCE: Wester/Barantsev S-wd, *Tibbetts/Brubaker J6, *Lichtman/Copely J9, *A. Cannuscio/McManus J10, *Friedenberg/Nykiel N4

* = JGP age-eligible this season

Profile links have been added on the Team USA page for A, B, C and Reserve: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=209

What exactly does a member of the reserve team do? and why should he get some money?

He doesn't replace someone in the major events, does he?

I think the purpose of these funding envelopes is just to give promising and successful skaters a little cash to defray the (considerable) expenses of fcompetitive skating. I don't think it is tied to selection to events.

The Reserve Team will not "replace" anyone, but they are eligible to be assigned to vatious competitions, irrespective of what funding envelope or tier thay are put in.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Reserve team athletes are currently unfunded (they used to receive a stipend years ago). From the published envelope criteria: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350
Athletes in the Reserve Envelope that medal at a "Senior B" international, Junior Grand Prix or Grand Prix competition will be placed immediately in Team Envelope C - Tier 1 and receive the remaining funding for that season.

Many of the athletes named to this year's Reserve team showed good results, potential and/or performances at 2009 Nationals as determined by USFS' ICMS committee, and some of these athletes will be considered for international assignments (Sr B, JGP). For example, if and when Sasha Cohen is officially assigned to the Senior Grand Prix, I would expect her to be placed in the Reserve envelope.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reserve team athletes are currently unfunded (they used to receive a stipend years ago). From the published envelope criteria: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

Many of the athletes named to this year's Reserve team showed good results, potential and/or performances at 2009 Nationals, and some of the athletes will be considered for international assignments (Sr B, JGP). For example, if and when Sasha Cohen is officially assigned to the Senior Grand Prix, I would expect her to be placed in the Reserve envelope.

I don't see why Emily Hughes is in the Reserve envelope. She ducked Collegiates, did not have good performances at Midlantics and Regionals, and TEB was just plain awful. She withdrew from Nationals (again). Where is the "potential" there?

It looks to me as if the USFS is going to allow Emily to bypass Regionals and Sectionals once again by assigning her to International "B"s. I guess the Hughes name has such clout that Emily doesn't have to deliver to get special treatment.